Character editor or somthing?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDragon8685, May 1, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Okay. I admit it. I'm weak.

Well, not so much weak as annoyed with the slow progress and the fact that I'm being given monsters to fight that are some four+ CRs above the level cap. This game woulden't be so bad, if they didn't have that damnable level cap, but they do. And Scather just ain't cutting it. I mean, really, my Monk hits once in a blue moon, and when she does hit, she does 0 damage - despite having a STR score of 20, and a DEX of 24 (after factoring in gloves of dex.)

Really. When the monsters have DRs that are 15+, my monk is unable to do any damage. My Rogue - the Rogue with the twinked out Dex - barely ever hits. And she's using +3 rapiers, and has a 26 Dex after the Gloves. (And yes, she has Finnese.)

The only two of my characters who can get some damage done are the Ranger (the level 10 ranger with an abysmal 51 max HPs,) who wields Scather, and my Sorceress - only the ridiciliously high SRs, combined with the insane bonuses to saving throws, make these monsters bloody hard to beat.

So how can I like, set everyone's stats to all 45s or somthing? Seriously. I tried hex-editing it, but it just wound up making my game Crash To Desktop whenever I tried to load it. Is there a stable way to edit my save game? At this point, I just want to see the ending, not slog my way through encounters that are only winnable because I have a weapon that I seriously doubt E. Gary Gygax penned into the original module.

2. sir_toejam

sir_toejam Member

well, i found crafted weapons to be much more effective. have you tried this? you can boost the damage and to-hit paramaters by quite a lot. also, use wands or scrolls of true strike if you are having problems hitting foes. also, if u are using power strike, i would suggest turning it off as it really hinders hitting more than the numbers suggest.

bows are different, if you are trying to hit with bows, it really helps if u have the point blank and precise shot feats. it seems almost impossible to hit with a bow or ranged weapon if your melee guys are near the target and you don't have these feats.

barring that i think i have seen references to save game editors, try checking the main atari forum for toee.

cheers

Last edited: May 2, 2004
  3. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

All of my characters are wielding +3 weapons, except the monk. She can't wield weapons.

And she has to have her Combat Expertise at +5, or else she gets slaughtered. The problem isen't so much HITTING, as it is dealing damage - the monk is completely unable to deal damage. All the monsters have such high DRs that even a maximum roll from the Monk deals 0-1 damage.

4. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Oh, I forgot: Where do I find the main Atari forums? Is the link on co8.org?

5. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Suggestion for the Monk

I haven't gotten terribly far in the game yet (keep starting over with new parties), but I found something nice for the monk: first of all, if he's getting hit, a ring of protection and bracers of armor, with high dex and wisdom should make him pretty safe, so you can cut out the expertise stuff. Also, monks can (I don't know why) weild the great cleaver. Some gal you can marry in Hommlet has one, and you can find one on a female bugbear on the first or second level of the temple. This is a one-handed weapon that doesn't say so, but is +1, and can be crafted to a +3 with frost/fire/holy/etc. added on as you see fit. Also, since the monk won't be using a shield, he'll get extra strength bonuses for weilding the one-handed weapon two handed. Put a keen edge on it, and you'll be getting a ton of criticals that do upwards of 60 or 70 damage!! Plus, it's a cleaver, so you'll be a whiz in the kitchen!

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

1. you need a good balanced party, i had to restart 6 times before i found a party that works
    2. monk can use weapons, he even gets the flurry of blows for specific monk weapons, your monk should weild a quarter staff, I couldnt find any masterwork ones to craft, but i just looted at the 4th level of temple a quarterstaff +3 so my monk can do damage again... (not that it couldnt before, only a few monsters had high enough DR by that point to soak her hits with non magic quarterstaff)
    3. ALWAYS roll for your character, and reroll untill you get alot of high scores
    4. give monk gloves of strength, they add to damage not the dex one, if you have finess then dex adds to attack, but really its pointless, a monk needs gloves of strength, bracers of mage armour, and if you have a druid with craft you can give him an amulet of +5 magic fang (unarmed attacks are +5 magic weapon), if not just a +6 to wizdom amulet

So if your monk started with the MINIMUM strength of 16, he will have 18 from level 4 and 8, thats +4 damage, +3 damage from gloves of strength+6, +3 damage from magic staff or + 5 from amulet of magic fang...

total 1d6+10 base damage (staff), +11 if you had a monk who started with 18 strength, or 1d4+12 lawful unarmed damage, +13 if you started with str 18....

Most monsters DO NOT have damage resistance of 15, they have much lower DR, the few who do have crazy damage resist, should be targeted by your spell casters, if they have high SR then by a warrior... a few have both SR and DR that high... also even if they do have SR it doesnt help against area effect non damage dealing spells, so a SR 1000 is still gonna get trapped by a web or slip on grease... and eventually you will crit on those, and creatures with high DR usually have low HP... also you MUST have craft wonderous items and craft arms and armour, otherwise you are screwed...

And you can always add other kinds of damage to the weapons, add ice damage to the staff, etc... that will do the trick.

With all the enhancements, even if your monk doesnt do damage, noone damaged her aswell, combine with total defense and tumble and you have someone to draw away oponents or scout the fog to allow for long range spells who can hardly be harmed (not to mention the ability to heal with wholeness of body, improved evade, etc etc)

Last edited: May 16, 2004
Our Host!