Cerulean the Blue's Modding Frenzy

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cerulean the Blue, Apr 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Okay, I've finished with Burne for the most part. Here are the files so you can all try it out and tell me what you think. Make sure to try dismissing from the party both outside his tower and inside it (try moving him somewhere other than his initial location before dismissing him in his tower as well), and then trying to barter with him.

To get Burne to join your party must be LN, LG, NG, or CG, and game.story_state >=4. You can set this by typing "game.story_state = 4" (without the quotes) into the console.

Known bugs include the Mage Armor eye candy that stays stuck where he was when he joins your party. Only solution I have for that is just to not have him pre-buff. If anyone knows of a way to dismiss the spell from a script, please let me know.

These files are only unzip-and-play if you want to use them for a non-Toffee install or the vanilla game. Otherwise, you'll have to do some copying and pasting. The proto.tab is based on Kalshane's Fixes as well.

[EDIT] Apparently the global flag I was using is used for something else, most likely in the Moathouse. I will have to fix it. The files will be posted again soon.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Reattaching Shop Inventories to Adventuring Shopkeepers

Mr Blue,

may I make so bold as to ask, is this 'fix' of any use for changing the inventory of a shop-keeper, ie adding a new box of goodies for him to sell from? (Or in the case of Loralei, her? new box for her to break?)

3. Cerulean the Blue

This fix is made possible because now there are two Burnes. One stays at home and never gets "detached" from his inventory container, and the other goes out adventuring with you and never was attached to the container at all. There is a bit of smoke and mirrors going on in the scripts so that only one is "on" at a time.

4. Shiningted

O... the obvious workaround.

:yawn:

j/k good thinking dude :)

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Heh...Robo-Burne.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Okay, the problem has been fixed. I have done what I didn't think could be done, and now the scripts do not use any global flags or variables. I managed to do it with an flag internal to the NPCs in question.

Please, try it out.

[EDIT] A new version is out. See below.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2006
  7. Cerulean the Blue

This version has Otis and Mother Screng as well as Burne. I've tested Burne and Otis rather extensively. I've still to test Mother Screng, as you need to have a small party (no more than 5 I think) of average level no more than 5.

To test Otis fully set game.story_state = 5 in the console. Test away.

To test Mother Screng, get Otis to join, go to the temple and do some stuff with him, then return to Nulb. He will leave the party. Ask him to rejoin, being careful that the above conditions for Mother Screng are still met. You may need to drop some characters and have some low level ones join up to make it work.

I am considering the final version, pending a few tests (which I expect will go smoothly since it's all the same scripts) and any feedback from testers.

Once again, this is not unzip-and-play unless you are playing the vanilla game, or a non-Toffee install. Some copying and pasting may be required.

[EDIT] A new version is available below.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The legion is on the March...

"Okay, Legionaires, our first test. The files are located in Post #7 of CB's thread. Please address questions to him in this same thread. If possible, I'd like for each of you to post feed back there as well no later than Thursday, 04-13-06. This can be extended if we have troubles, of course. Thanks in advance for helping!"

9. Ugignadl

Ugignadl Established Member

Right. Downloaded, will have a look and test it soon.

10. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

Ok.
    I completely wiped my existing ToEE, and did a fresh install (no mods), and added Atari's patch 3.
    I restored my saved vanilla games folder which I'd previously copied before the unistall, and extacted the zip to the root folder.

I had a save with a level 4 nuetral party who were ready to visit Nulb for the first time.
    I hired Otis, walked in and out of the Temple, and returned to Nulb.
    He is only selling his equipment... :angry:
    Furthermore, being a neutral party, he won't re-join. I tried the console command (using 4 and then 3), but he still refuses.

I'm going to try again, but this time, I will try to change party alignment BEFORE speaking with Otis for the first time to see if that will make a difference.

btw - when entering the console command, should I get an "OK" message? I ask this because there was none.

+ edit +

I'm a tool...
    I thought game.party_state >4 was for the ALIGNMENT - not level :roll:

I should have some NG party saves available, so I'll try those instead.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  11. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

* DOUBLE POST ALERT *

Ok.
    I have a save with a level 4 NG party. I recruit Otis, do the quick march to the Temple and back again, but now he says he'll only help "...if I find out what's really going on down there...".
    Do I just need to have a non-lethal conversation with a temple priest to satisfy his curiosity, or is there more to it?

Oh - he's still only selling his inventory, and not the good stuff.

12. Cerulean the Blue

It's game.story_state, and it must be >=4 for Burne to join, and >=5 for Otis to join the second time. LG is the best alignment to test with, but any other Good alignments, or LN should be tested as well.

You should get no response when entering it into the console. You can check it by typing "game.story_state" (without the quotes) into the console and it should return the value you just set.

Forget testing Mother Screng. I found out last night that when she leaves the party she disappears for good. I also discovered that my fix will break some dialog exchanges (between Otis and Elmo, for example, if Otis is in your party). I'm working on fixing that. Expect some updated files soon.

Oh, and as a final note to the testers, it's always best to back up the files you are replacing with the mod you are testing, just in case later in the mod development you need to revert back to the originals.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  13. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

Have you tried looking for her in the brothel? :twisted:
    Actually, I'm sorry you said that, because I just had a flash of genius to work around Otis' stubbornness, by simply consoling her in as Y'dey...

I did type game.story in the console (I just typoed it here).
    Anyway, I'll turn my attention to Burne for a while.

14. Shiningted

Quick heads-up - Co8 patches are not designed to work with patch 3: read the readme that came with 4.0.0.

15. Obnoxio

Obnoxio BANNED

I used patch3 because I re-installed without Co8 4.0.0 (this is what I assumed CB meant by "vanilla game").
    It was laziness on my part, because all my saved games since getting mods have party levels too high to recruit Screng, thanks to the additional XP, and the fact that I've completed just about all of the Hommlet quests before setting foot in Nulb.

I'll do another erase and install, this time WITH 4.0.0.
    I can just use that Sword of Cahoem to make passage to Nulb faster than normal...

Our Host!