Castle Features *possible spoilers*

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Illustair, Jan 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

In my opinion, one of the strongest feature of both successful titles, Baldur's Gate 2 and NWN2, were the opportunity to be able to rule an entire faction, keep, or castle and everything and everyone under their reach. While every mod incorporated on Co8 modpack are all strong points on their own, to include a feature that is similar to what I pointed out would definitely be a great addition.

I think I've read somewhere that you can buy a castle (I'm not sure, haven't gone there yet; where ever that is, or if it even exist on CoE); If there is, is there more to it in buying the entire castle or is it just another safe resting place? It should be awesome if you can also get a constant stream of income out of it similar to BG2 (specifically the Shadow Thieves' Guild or to a lesser extent, the Keep), or perhaps equip your soldiers with better weaponry similar to NWN2, or anything as innovative as those two. What are your thoughts on it, guys?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Illustair
    Welcome aboard. There are actually two ways to get a castle. You can buy one in Verbobonc, and if you add the "War of the Golden Skull" add-on, you have the chance to become the Lord of Hommlet itself. I can't speak for what happens if you become the Lord of Hommlet after completing the War of the Golden Skull, because I never tried it, but the castle in Verbobonc is just another resting place. As far as the money goes, you really don't need any extra money, just loot all the monsters you kill and you will be just fine. I personally have a problem with the idea of "I'll buy/build a castle, and I can go on adventuring while the castle generates extra revenue for me, without me having to do anything at all". A castle is a business, and if you want it to "succeed" you better be there to make sure that everything works the way you want it too. The other thing to consider is that the "Powers that Be" aren't going to allow anyone to build a castle wherever they want. Remember the "Ground Zero Mosque" ?? Now image what it would be like if someone was going to build a fortress there and fill it with well armed soldiers, and maybe a wizard or two.
    The Royal Canadian

3. Illustair

I appreciate the welcome and for the response.

The truth is I'm not after the coins, I have my own ways (and I'm sure you and several others do too) of generating huge income even if I only loot items with magical properties for selling; might seem like an exploit, but to me, it's more like being a street smart. As I was saying, the goal is to emphasize rolepaying, if you are to be the Lord of Hommlet or even simply a master of a castle, it would be wise to add a feature preferably one that doesn't have to actually end upon completion of its quest, per se. Like in modded Morrowind, you can send out lower-ranked guild members to acquire alchemical ingredients for you; you can do this every day or so. The same can be said in BG2 Thieves' Guild. The point is to have something that could showcase roleplay.

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm not familiar with what the Ground Zero Mosque is.

On a side note, I'm not demanding, I'm just offering suggestions. Feel free to shareyour own castle suggestions as well, guys.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I agree with the poster - it would be cool to have a castle that featured some unique properties, other than resting and a new place to "hang your sword & staff" and store your loads of extra loot, so to speak.

Maybe it would be cool to recruit additional NPC characters, to wait there for you, and do other tasks, as in the other games mentioned. Maybe Spugnior, being a sage, could set up his study here, and help you research spells, or craft outside of your current party - for example. Or you could recruit a sergeant at arms to act as chief of your guards, and you could spar with that dude safely for additional XP. Or ... welll there are many functions such a large dwelling could serve. And maybe the alignments of the party would affect what services/ NPC could be recruited.

I still feel the WOTGS "Lords of Hommlett" idea also had merit. eventually Burne & Rufus WILL finish that castle - why not let the heroes manage it?

I know it would be a huge scripting undertaking, but could either one (not both in the same game) be utilized with different qualifications and results for management? as in, the stories that evolve from ruling one castle would be different than ruling the other.

Having a few man-at-arms, and serfs would be decent too - for role-playing elements. A Castle defense mission would ALSO be awesome...

I STILL think it would be also cool if that green dragon from the Kronn Hills that Burne & Rufus claimed to subdue shows up, and makes trouble for the heroes after they have obtained the castle ... I think they only drove that dragon off, and it's still out there!!! Then the heroes could question Burne & Rufus leadership, and assume control of the 'Badgers as lords of Hommlett to counter the dragon threat.

Just my thoughts! :)

The game is awesome as it is, of course. :yes::rock::cool:

5. Illustair

Exactly what I'm talking about. Those kind of ideas should make the mod even more interesting (not that it actually NEEDS one; Co8 is awesome as it is just as J'allan puts it).

I don't mind having my character (being the better hero than the two) take over the rulership from them. I'm sure Burne & Rufus would agree to that.:yes: They could serve as second-in-command under me though; I'm certain they'd be honored.:yes:

WotGS add-on is fantastic by the way, as I've seen it on youtube; hope it gets it way to the next version of Co8.

Our Host!