?? Can't install!! WTF?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord Plothos, Mar 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

?? Can't install!!

Hey all, don't you just love how I only pop in and "contribute" when I have a problem? :D

Anyway, here's today's. I'm trying to install the game on a laptop and just can't get the disc install to work. No idea why. Here's what happens.

If I install the install disc (this is the box, not jewel case or download version, btw), it spins up and asks if I want to install. I say yes and it spins for a while, then tells me to put the install disc in (when it already is). If I click okay, it spins for a while again, then just spins down and sits there. If I put the play disc in, it asks if I want to install the game, and if I say yes, it asks for the install disc. Lather, rinse, repeat. Am I missing something?

Here are my specs:
    Dell XPS M1330
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    T7100 @ 1.80GHz
    1.79GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM

Drive:
    Matshita DVD+RW UJ857G

Thanks in advance, as always. No ToEE on vacation? I sure hope not! :eek:mg:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. Lord Plothos

Nobody?

I remember ages ago somebody suggesting security software can cause install problems. Can anyone confirm this? For various reasons, I have a security package I can't disable, so I hope this isn't the trouble. :sadblinky

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm... You can try copying all of your ToEE CDs
    into one directory and then try to install. Note:
    first copy CD2, so that it doesn't overwrite any
    install files from CD1. This trick worked for various
    games I installed.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You could try making copies of the discs with Alcohol 120 and running it the installer that way.

5. Lord Plothos

Good tip. I'll try this.
    I just picked up Alcohol 120's trial version. I'm new to it. Should I, as I suspect, copy this as a "clone CD" format?

Thanks

6. Lord Plothos

Looks like a problem with the discs. I can't get them copied because of a series of disc-read errors. It's been sitting at 93% complete for 10 minutes.

Good thing I have the game installed and copied on my other computer. Phew! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice guys.

7. Lord Plothos

New development. Tried a disc repair thing on the discs. Still won't install, but I was able to get them imaged with Alcohol 120. The install process starts up and lets me change to the play disc and everything. Looks good. But at the end I get a fatal error:

Data Error
    File: data3.cab
    Error: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check).

Any thoughts on this one? :anger:

8. Lord Plothos

Took 2 hours and a dozen tries or so, but finally got working images and was able to install. Patched it up and ran it. Got it working. Thanks for the help guys. :peace:

New problem, though. Totally unrelated so new thread. :yikes:

Our Host!