Can NPCs be added?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, May 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I request that a St. Cuthbert apprentice cleric NPC be available for hire in the Hommlet St. Cuthbert church.

Ronald Rynnwrathi
    LN Male Human Cleric1
    St. Cuthbert: Law and Strength
    16 STR/17 DEX/16 CON/13 INT/18 WIS/12 CHA
    Noteworthy Feats and Skills: Longbow Proficiency, Improved Initiative, Concentration 4, Diplomacy 4, Heal 4, Tumble 2
    Noteworthy Items: Studded Leather, Heavy Mace, Heavy Shield, Longbow, 10 arrows

Ronald is a somewhat feverent follower of St. Cuthbert: Ever since his parents were killed at the hands of the followers of Gruumsh, he has saught vengeance and managed to get it after being initiated into the church. Terjon quietly ordered the inquisition of Gruumsh's followers throughout the Flanaess. Because of recent events, Ronald will require a substantial bribe to join your party if it contains any orcs or half-orcs, even charmed or dominated ones. If ever a cleric of Gruumsh should join your party, Ronald will simply leave and return to the Hommlet church to cool down. Once there, he will threaten to attack you should you persist while any Gruumsh clerics are with you. If any orcs or half-orcs are with you, he will require another lesser bribe.

-EE

2. screeg

screeg Nukekubi

I second that recommendation. I would like to see an NPC cleric sometime before the nodes.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Adding an NPC cleric makes sense. However, I don't see why he needs god-like stats. If someone was going to do this, a point-buy character (Str 13, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12) would probably be more in-line with the rest of the recruitable NPCs. If that's too weak, boost the Wisdom up to 16 (to use the Heal scrolls) and then the Strength or Con up to 14. I wouldn't pump him up much more than that, though. You want him to be useful, not indespensible.

4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I used those stats since those were the first I rolled.

-EE

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'd also like to see an npc cleric, nothing fancy but there should be one in homlett for one man parties.

6. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

oh yeah defintly, a neutral or good cleric is a must in this game. we have so many warriors and rouges but no clerics for a good party.

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

how about a cleric of the old ways? I frankly don't like the church of saint cuthbert that much... besides, what kind of ascended god calls himself a saint?

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A 'god' who recognises he is ascendant and not one of the ancient powers of the universe?

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

do you mean the old faith? if so then that is a druid which we do have already.peronally id like to see a cleric of Pelor but thats just me. we may want to add a second cleric NPC too a little farther along in the game. a prisoner in the moathouse or someone in Nulb. clerics are very short handed in the game, so are sorcerors but i for one can live with that.

10. taltamir

druids get their powers from nature.

our towns resident druid is a practitioner of the old faith, which is a combination of druidic tenants with the worshipping of a SINGLE deity.

They key point, they are worshipping a deity there, and not nature. While its not unusual for druids to worship a nature related deity, it is somewhat unusual for one to lead a congragation for one. He actually performs CONVERSIONS to it (or used to, before he decided not to as to not to upset terjon, the prick!).

Anyways, did I ever mention that I think a cleric of a nature deity makes a better druid then a druid? Healing a wounded animal spontanously is alot more in line with being druidic then sending them to die against fighting your battles.

11. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I personally don't like St. Cuthbert, just cos the priests are to pious and that annoys me, but then Druids annoy me talking about the balance all the time, not every one gets along all the time and conflict is fun, and it makes sence if you're going to be recruting him from their church and his domains are ok I'd be more likly to hire him if they were strenght and destruction. The cleric should be LN, LG, or NG at least.
    Pelor would be good as well.
    Great who's idea was it to talk about religion, next comes politics the big no no's ;)

12. taltamir

I say we do away with the stupid feudal system and institute a magocrachy!

I get to be the arch wizard :) (here come the magical academy...)

13. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

Taltamir, I don't agree with the druid/cleric matter.
    maybe a NG cleric, that shows compassion toward animals, would be better than a NG druid, but what about a trueN druid, that must keep balance?
    Or a LN druid that is a sort of Judge of nature? Or a NE that just keeps power from nature? or a CN that belives in the freedom of nature?
    There are too many possibilities accordingly with allignment, intelligence, wisdom and backround of a character...

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Give me raw magic power and a man with an iron fist to chanel it with.
    eg more clerics and sorcerers
    now here comes the politics :roll:

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nah, he wants the academy so he can be called 'Harry' and have a g/f called Hermione ;-)

Our Host!