Buff Orcs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dolio, Feb 6, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

So, I started with a new party a day or so ago (which seems a common occurrence; I can't stop tweaking, and never get far into the temple), and finally got around to doing the orc cave just now...

The orcs seemed to be doing ridiculous amounts of damage (I think one managed to one-hit my dwarven cleric with 20 con with most of his health intact), so I checked, and the damage calculation listed a "+19 strength" damage component. I really don't remember it being that high in my plays through in the past. For instance, even the weakest hit by these orcs will disable my wizard (20 hp at level 4), and I don't remember the consequences being so dire in that regard.

+19 seems like an odd modifier, as well. They're using weapons two-handed, so taking the 1.5x bonus into account, they'd have to start with +12 2/3, which is impossible. Also, even A +12 modifier is 34 strength, or 30 before barbarian rage, which is incredibly high for some level 2 orcs. That's troll or giant type strength, is it not?

Anyhow, am I just mis-remembering my old encounters in the orc cave, or has something gone wrong (and is it time for my semi-weekly reinstall :))?

2. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I seem to recall another thread around talking about this exact thing... But I honestly can't remember why it was like this...

3. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Ah! Well, some searching revealed the thread you were talking about (I think). Evidently the problem is that I'm going there at level 4 this time, which makes me fight much tougher orcs (I guess I'd been going there at 2 or 3 in the past, but waited for Meleny to be 3rd this time).

+19 damage per hit from strength seems a bit nutty, but at least I know I'm not broken.

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Our Host!