Brother Smyth Chest w/o thief

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Osaka, Sep 19, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Osaka

Osaka Member

The chest appears in front of Brother Smyth I used to be able to open it without a thief (I normally use my wizard (with a 21 dex currently) and max open lock/disable device as allowed for the level) with the current version I'm unable to open the chest; is this chest like the trap on lvl 4 in the dungeon where it can only be opened by a thief? Personally I dislike having a thief in my party and (in my playing style) find it a waste of a space. Is the chest still a mechanical lock that all I need is to get a higher skill level enough to defeat the lock or can only a thief unlock it?

2. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I believe it is just a mechanical lock, if you look at your rolls tab I think you need a 34 iirc.

3. chano

chano Established Member

Ask wonnilon to join, buy masterwork tools and gloves of dex+4 in nulb, grease the lock.
    That should fix it, you can then dismiss him afterwards.

4. Osaka

Osaka Member

Managed to get the lock open, was quite disappointed with the prize; a tower shield :bored: pretty useless when the only characters that use a shield are a dwarf and a druid (50% spell failure pretty much limits it to only a fighter).

Episaga likes this.
  5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Go complain to the Master of the Arena if you don't like your free gift. :p

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That shield is what every cleric dreams of. ;)

7. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Or Paladin with a +5 Holy Longsword of FlamingBurst and that shield = evildoers BEWARE

:peace:

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Remember that spell failure if ONLY for Arcane spell casters. Clerics and druids, as well as paladins and Rangers can use that shield with no penalties to their spell use.

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I believe that shield is steel, so druids cannot equip it.

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I beg to differ GG, but druids CAN indeed equip the Hero's shield.

I grant you rule wise they should not be able to, but the game allows druid to equip metal sheilds, regular tower shields as well as Hero's.

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I'm not positive on the Tower Shield, but when trying to equip metal arms and armor on a druid, the equipment has a red box and will not allow you to put it on the paper doll.

12. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I grant you about the armor but you can give metal weapons to a druid and they can seem to use them, even if not proficient.

Just tried that with a pre gen druid at the start room.

I will say again rule wise they should not be able to use them with no penalty, but the game does allow it.

13. Osaka

Osaka Member

Ultimately I ended up giving the shield to my Druid and she was able to equip it with no problems, and doesn't seem to be suffering nasty negative effects from it. She still hits monsters in melee at the same rate with a Scimitar and hasn't had any spell fail or fail any skill checks so far.

The universal aspect of it makes it a much more valuable item than I first thought; since a class that otherwise couldn't equip it is allowed to puts it value almost like a low lvl artifact as its bending the rules even beyond what normal magic allows for.

14. Lava

Lava Established Member

An enchanted elvish shield boosts your lockpicking abilities, and possibly other skills as well.

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I never encountered/knew that. Yet another thing I will have to try out when I next play.

Our Host!