Blacksmith masterwork weapons interaction

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by windmillcrusadeR, Jan 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

I have had a problem with some of my "face" characters that interact with the blacksmith, getting the right response to bring the giant head for masterwork weapons.

what interaction skill do i need higher to get a positive reaction?

The only one i've seen low that might do it is intimidation, but i don't remember the little marker saying it was an intimidation thing.

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

You have to have the one who is actually carrying the head speak to him.

3. windmillcrusadeR

no, before you actually get the head, the PC speaks to the blacksmith to start the interaction that the quest for a giant head can start.

Unless it's changed, i've come back with several giant heads and nothing would trigger. i don't get the quest trigger to fullfill.

I"m not sure why.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Can you describe this in more detail? What does Smyth say? What alignment is your party? Low or high intelligence character?

There are no skill checks involved that I can see.

5. windmillcrusadeR

i already deleted that party so i can't replicate it. however, the new party i have is having the same problem.
    cleric elf 1st level
    Dip 8, Gather 6, Int 6, sense 6

initial question 2. allow more questions
    2. r u a master w artisen
    1. interesting...
    1. hmmm....
    1. and then that was it.

I tried this with a bard in my prevcious party that had only an intimidation of 4, but failed to get a trigger.

i came back with several giant heads and nothing happened either (the last party)

6. Gaear

If you haven't gotten the quest, having the giant's head won't trigger the dialog like normal.

Please answer these questions.

Hence I don't need any skill related info.

Also, please be more specific about what Smyth says. I can't tell from your account whether you or Smyth said "hmmm," for example, and I don't know what "and then that was it" means. What was it? Did Smyth say something and the dialog ended? Did Smyth say nothing and you got blank number responses? Do the numbers represent the responses you selected?

[edit]

NVM, I found it. The problem is for good-aligned parties specifically. Problem is, there's no reason for it to be happening. :dizzy:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  7. windmillcrusadeR

sorry, that last comment was the abbreviated version.
    i'll write it out or at least the first 10 words

here goes

i click on the blacksmith in hommlet and he says,
    Greetings
    then i pick from the menu number 2
    My PC says 2. Allow me to ask some more questions

BS says: what would you like to know?
    PC asks: 2. Are you a masterwork quality artisen?
    BS says: why yes ma'am, i'm able to make masterwork quality items
    PC asks: 1. thats interesting, what do you have for sale?
    BS says: Hmmm...i'm not sure you're cut out for that kind of equipment.
    PC asks: 1. What's that supposed to mean?
    BS replies with a paragraph about ' verbabonc customers need this stuff and you're looking for toys. i don't want to cheat good paying customers, and then it says have a nice day or something.
    PC says, i must be going

ive done with with 6th level bards, maxed out on interaction skills and still nothing.

i thought that maybe if i didn't trigger it on our first visit it would skip it. i've seen that before with other interaction triggers.
    but i've made several passes to the blacksmith with differnt PCs and no luck. though the two adventures ago a party got the interaction and started getting masterwork items.

Sorry guys, when Graere gets involved it must be serious.

8. windmillcrusadeR

should i have a Chaotic Nuetral party then?
    the last comment by Geaer said that it was a problem related to good parties?

9. Gaear

Yes, for now if you want the masterwork quest chain you have to have either neutral or evil parties.

10. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    Are you saying that only Neutral and Evil parties can buy Masterwork Weapons from Brother Smyth ?? I am running 5.7.2 and have had no problems at all with the Masterwork Weapons quest with 2 Neutral Good parties.
    The Royal Canadian

11. windmillcrusadeR

that would make sense, cuz i think i ran a NG party, but i've never done the CN party til now. now i can't get the chest open, with any PC i use

12. Gaear

That's odd. I tested it yesterday and failed with all good alignments, but the fact that there was nothing wrong with the alignment check code would support the notion that it could be a spotty problem. :shrug: ToEE of course behaves that way from time to time.

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Last time I played NG I got the dialouge, but not until way late in the game(temple). I figured it was a balance thing. Returned from the temple to sell loot and the dialogue was there. Don't quite understand why it's an alignment issue tho.

14. The Royal Canadian

Hi WizGeorge
    As a former boss of mine would say, maybe I just held my mouth right when I was installed Co8 on my laptop. I went to the meadow after cleaning out the moathouse, killed the giant, brought back his head and boom! There was the dialogue. As pointed out earlier, you need to make sure that the person speaking to Brother Smith has the head in his inventory. If your Rogue is the spokeman for your party, but the Fighter is the person carrying the head, you will never get the dialogue.
    The Royal Canadian

15. The Royal Canadian

Hi Gaear
    What can we say, It's demonically possessed. :evilgrin:
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!