Bitch about Christmas movies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cujo, Dec 24, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

The sun has just set and Santa can now start devilering gifts in this part of the world, which means to get here he woulda have to have left the north pole on the night of the 23rd PST and chase the sunset to avoid flying in daylight, but in a lot of xmas movies he's held up till the last minute generally of the 24th in the USA.

another thing is its summer here, so the snow on the roof tops when he lands to make his first deliveries ummm, no, today was a cool 22.0 °C, just a bit to warm for snow.

Its just something which anoys me.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I hear tell Santa's not real. ;)

3. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

In my country Santa is not real, for sure.

But Grandfather Frost is real everywhere!
    And his granddaughter the Snow-girl!
    And his sidekick the Snowman!
    And his talking bunnies and squirrels!
    They are real!

Because he always places candies under my New Year fir-tree!

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Как она зовут, ёлка?

I hear he's doesn't visit Russian untill the 7th of January anyway, but has already been to half of western europe during december.

5. kio11

kio11 Established Member

why doesnt he start from the east of asia? should be same distance from the north pole and im sure hes not very racist. maybe towards dwarves a bit but i guess going down a dwarven chimney is not a very good dwarf-lover-maker.

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Well, yes, except that "ёлка" is a colloquial form, the proper one is "ель".

Oh, and you should not ask about it in such way :)
    The sentence is wrong, as, I think, many of my posts in English are.

"Как она называется? Ёлка?" If we already mentioned it as having a feminine gender in Russian (As we did, because I wrote "fir-tree").

"Как оно называется? Ёлка?" If we were speaking of it as having neuter gender in Russian, like if I were to write "Christmas Tree", or "New-year Tree".

"Как её зовут?" could be about a girl, a cat, a fish, but not about a plant (unless it is a fantastic sentient/animated female one.)

Also I was wrong when I said Santa is not real in Russia, he is, but in his main form - as St. Nicolas of Mirlikia (Not sure of spelling here). One of the most respected saints among the orthodox Christian believers.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

And Grandfather Frost IS NOT Santa!

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I would be very happy if my level of russian was the same as your level of english, I am still very much a beginner.

9. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

I always wanted to prove, that it is possible to learn English only attending to school and university classes, without any additional (and costly) ones. :chick:

10. kio11

kio11 Established Member

to attend and study yes. my english teacher was so good she actually tought us the whole language in one semester. the rest was detail.

what i always believed is that the less you want to actually learn english, the more it finds you and the more you try hard the less you learn it. but internet is the best source ofc.

and yeah my english used to be much much better 8 years ago.

11. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

That's pretty cool of the teacher!

And let's not derail the thread, remember Santa and Grandfather Frost!

Grandfather Frost is not necessarily an old man, in some fairy-tales he also manifests as a cold wind / disembodied voice (in this case he is not "Grandfather" though.)
    And he is not necessarily connected to the New Year, just to the winter. Because he is older than celebrating New Year in January. As is Saint Nicolas.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

In your sentance I would've said;

that it is possible to learn English by only attending school and university classes :poke:

I don't think Grandfather Frost would visit here much, it never gets cold enough. when I was about 15 in mid winter while on holiday with my cousins it happened to get to a record -16° C, but I would say our average winter temperature is probley around 10° C. (I seriously wouldn't know what to do if I was in Europe or the US with all this snow at the moment)

13. kio11

kio11 Established Member

actually i was wondering the origin of santa klaus

14. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Thanks!

:nervous:

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

thats why Santa Claus is also sometimes called in the english speaking world Saint Nick

Our Host!