best way to equip a druid?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by birdman, May 22, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. birdman

birdman Member

what armor is the best to purchase, enhance and equip a druid with? als where can i find the masterwork cleavers other than the annoying voiced female in Hommlet?

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Lamellar armour from starting shop and trade it in for masterwork version available from Bing about a week after you heal him for the same price.....

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Spoiler for the cleavers:
    There are two female bugbears in the Temple who have masterwork cleavers. One is in the Air Temple kitchen (or the Air Temple, if the reactive Temple has been triggered), and the other is with the Greater Temple bugbear leader in the small room off of the large room filled with Greater Temple bugbears.

4. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Go to fong's in Nulb. You will find something good there. I use studded leather as my starting armor, then I move to masterwork studded leather and buff it at least once before hitting fong's for something better.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Isn't bone armor pretty good for a druid?

I think there is a certain troll who would gladly give up his once he stops breathing and all.

6. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Also Dragon Plate, or even Stone Plate (if you made a Dwarven druid) are excellent natural armors equippable by a druid sold by Ah Fong's Curiousity Shoppe if DEX is not a concern.

Trollbone Armor as mentioned already works too.

But i cannot recommend enough the leaf armors. Bondleaf offers very little protection, but is extremely light (weight of 1!) and allows for max DEX score benefits. But the best one is the MoonIvy armor. i believe it has about as much protective quality as studded leather armor, but the masterwork version can be enhanced, and comes with the benefit of 2 excellent spells with UNLIMITED casting - Stinking Cloud, and Poison. LETHAL.

the basic MoonIvy armor can cast just the Stinking Cloud spell.

Watch out though, as the Stinking Cloud effect created by this spell cannot be dispelled, and seems to last twice as long as a normal casting. Very effective against enemies! but don't get caught in it, is all i can say. Cast carefully.

GREAT for a druid, or an elf or nature cleric.

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

That is why I recommended fong's. I just did not want to give away the moonivy benefits, preferring to allow people to discover that secret themselves.

8. carbon_dragon

carbon_dragon Member

My situation was unusual. I decided to multiclass rogue and druid. I took 2 levels of rogue and then took (as of now) 5 levels of druid (plan to continue). I thought my armor would match between classes, but that's only kind of true. I'm currently using Troll Bone Armor. The problem with that though is it weighs 50 pounds. I had to enchant a gauntlets of ogre power for the druid just to carry her gear. Obviously this isn't idea.

Also if I had left her a thief, I could have worn the elven chain but the Druid couldn't wear that, so both use light armor the mix is somewhat different. It's working out reasonably well though. She has almost as good an armor class as the fighter and paladin.

Curiously I started out with a shortsword for the rogue and meant to switch to a scimitar. But I kind of got to like the Longspear. It's a simple weapon, has reach and does decent damage. And she mostly uses spell. She also has a shortbow.

9. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

I am playing 7.2 NC version and I bought Masterwork MoonIvy Armors for my rogues and from a radial menu MI Armor or Poison or Stinking Cloud cannot be selected. Does anyone know how to cast Poison/SC with MI Armor?

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Raise your Use Magic Device skill.

11. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

It's also possible that the Stinking Cloud ability, and the Poison are only available to classes equipping MoonIvy armor that would be capable of casting those spells. i have only ever equipped it on an Elven cleric, myself.

The armor was created by a Co8 user named Maggit back in 2007 or so, so it is not vanilla. I know there are issues with other items and class related abilities similar to this - for example the Helm of Radiance (which as far as i know was vanilla?) has several powerful spell-like abilities. It can allow unlimited castings of the following 3 spells: Flamestrike, Consecrate, and Detect Evil 10' Radius. However, if you equip the item to a class that has no spell casting abilities, these item related spells do not appear selectable in the radial menu. AFAIK only a cleric gets the full benefit of the Helm of Radiance. It might be the same with the MoonIvy armor.

Maybe increasing Use Magic Device will help ... i don't know. Please let us know your findings!

12. EyesOfAsia

EyesOfAsia Member

I raised my Use Magic Device skill almost to max - 22 now, character Barb/Fighter/Rogue and still MI Armor doesn't show up in a radial menu.
    But my almost pure Cleric with a really low Use Magic Device skill can use MI Armor to cast Poison and SC (armor is choosable in a radial menu).

So, maybe only caster classes can fully benefit from MI Armor.

13. Barles

Barles Member

Any new info on this? Do the moon ivy armors cast spells? I mean, the poison ivy armor lets me use a mystical poison that attacks constitution (haven't seen the poison take effect yet though). That's only once a day though. The other armors allow me to cast nothing.

Our Host!