Beggars...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ConjurerDragon, Feb 2, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

In my current game I have earned a reputation as "beggar maker" and now Otello and Cavanaugh are standing both before the inn.

However Otello is at home too when I go to his house.

Cavanaugh is asking for some coppers but the smallest amount I can give him is 1 gold?
    In the text options one is "Me give you 10 gold...". Is that an option that should appear only for Barbarians? Because it´s there for my INT 15 Rogue too.

When I give Cavanaugh 1 gold "he is off" and vanishes - but whenever I change the map (e.g. by entering and leaving the inn) he is right back where he stood...?

Is there a way to lose the reputation of beggar maker again? After all it was not me who put them there - the text when catching Otello clearly says that the decision how harsh his punishment was Filikens to make ( and as a lawful neutral party the only viable option I saw was to report his crime to him ).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Keep giving them money.
    You can hire the C man but I don't know if that removes the rep or not.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'd say you are playing an LN party just right. Damn the consequences, the law is the law.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You can give him a copper the first time you see him begging, which is when he asks for it. Otherwise he asks for "money."

I don't see that option but for unintelligent (-8 int) characters.

He's supposed to run off for one hour and get drunk. If you stay on the exterior Hommlet map, an hour later he'll be back, drunk, and stay that way for 1, 5, or 10 hours, depending on how much gold you gave him. However, if you do indeed change maps, he will be back immediately.

I'd say probably not in the case of Cavanaugh. However indirect, if it weren't for your involvement, he wouldn't be a beggar. Also there appears to be no way to 'save' him; no amount of money will cause him to reform, and taking him with you doesn't change his fortunes permanently, unless you never get rid of him.

We could probably tweak this to make him stay away longer, and maybe even have a drunken swagger like Elmo when he's drunk, if anyone thinks that would actually be worth it.

5. ConjurerDragon

I reloaded a savegame in Hommlet and went to Otello the beggar and talked to him with my INT 15 Fighter/Paladin. "Me give you 10 gold but you use it good." is still an option below giving 1 gold and 100 gold.

6. Gaear

Okay, I thought you were talking about Cavanaugh. I found and fixed Otello's error, thanks.

7. ConjurerDragon

Reading through my original post that was exactly what I wrote - and I meant Otello with the "Me give you..." sentence despite writing Cavanaugh. Sorry.

8. Gaear

Speaking of which, are you thinking of Cavanaugh being at the brewery while also being outside the inn begging, like I think Shiningted reported? I don't see any issues with Otello in that regard off the bat.

9. ConjurerDragon

No in that case I really meant Otello.

When I reload my savegame at the inn in Hommlet and go outside
    "Otello the beggar" is there in his beggar outfit. When I then go north to his house (the one across the road from the tailor) there is "Otello" standing in his sleeping room.
    That Otello carries something like a spear and when I talk to him there I can say something like "no more sneaking around at night" and he tells me that Jaroo took care of the children.
    When going outside again and back to the Inn "Otello the beggar" is still standing there.

So it shouldn´t be something of a day/nightshift Otello.

10. Gaear

Okay, I'll check into it. It's possible it may have gotten biffed due to WotGS on/off scripting.

Our Host!