back door virus warning

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Jun 13, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Recently bought temple of elemental evil on eBay. Installed circle of eight patches and ran programme. Norton security picked up a back door virus and blocked the game. Don’t know if it was in the game or in the download. :eek:

2. Sh0dan

Sh0dan Member

Is your virus scanner AvG?

I use AvG Free 8.0 and just today, its detecting my v1.2 ToEE.exe as being infected with a Trojan horse. I have been using the same .exe for years now that I DL from a reputable NoCD.exe site. I sent the file off to be examined by the AvG tech guys and they sent me an email back re-confirming that the file was infected.

I dunno, like I said I’ve been using it for years with no problems until early this morning. I tried re-downloading the Nocd ToEE.exe from the site again and AvG is still reporting it as infected. The proper ToEE.exe is fine. I just don’t like using my disks for old games like this.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

I got AVG too. The same "threat warning".

But the crack being infected? that's crap. Of course they will say that...

Now, my whole install, i meant WHOLE, not ToEE but everything, seems to have infected files.
    Windows, explorer, you name it.

Yesterday there where a big update on windows. After dlding/install/reboot, the AVG suddendly "discovered" all the new threats. If you check, they're all the same type, and there's no information about it.

What's more, the same problem happened to people using Karspersky, Norton, etc.

I believe it's a windows glitch. Let's hope they fix it, cos the "warning alert" pop up for anything, it's really annoying. I had ten different alerts today, and i've run AVG two days ago before the update, and found nothing. After the W update, eeverything seems to be infected, mostly all kind of .exes...

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Interesting... as I use AVG-Free and have not had any of them pop up and I am using "crack" version of Vista (I lost my install CD) and have had no issues.

5. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

I too am using AVG, and the no-cd toee.exe, but I've had no warnings either. :)

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Do you guys have the new AVG version 8? Or the old version? And do you know if you've gotten the latest Microsoft automatic updates? (There was a new one a day or two ago, after which all this started happening.)

7. tom

tom Established Member

Norton anti virus - i think it said it detected rankey back door.

The strange thing is it will allow the game on its own to run. I scanned the patch download directories before i installed and they came back fine. I ran the front end for the first time that was OK. But when i tried to launch the patched game Norton blocks it and prevents me from running the front end again.

8. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

AVG 7.5.1.4 Free Version
    All updates are up to date on Vista

9. Tafferboy

Tafferboy Member

I have exactly the same problem as Shodan, using AVG Free Edition 8.0 as well. Fortunately the infection is confined to the no-cd crack (dev-tep2) and not any other ToEE or Windows components. I use no-cd exes for some other games as well, but only this particular one is being flagged as infected.

10. Sh0dan

Sh0dan Member

I’m on vista 32bit, service pack 1 with latest updates. AvG 8.0 free.

Like Tafferboy my ToEE.exe nocd crack is the only one showing up as infected.

Is it possible that the crack has been infected all this time, and AvG has only just detected it?

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yes its possible. But unlikely - that crack has been around for years. And surely a trojan, by definition, would have infected other things by now? If that were the case, and a trojan has been doing the rounds for years that no anti-virus gear until now has picked up, it should have infected pretty much everything.

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Sometimes virus scans see things that just aren't there. A couple of years ago my antivirus (I think it was Norton at that time) decided the .exe was infected when I tried to re-install my old copy of Madden 2000. Somehow I doubt EA Sports put a virus on the disk when they released that game, but Norton sure thought so.

13. tom

tom Established Member

It is true that virus checkers can see things that aren’t there. Norton once told a programmer friend of mine that the programme he had written from scratch was a virus and blocked it. However I am not happy just turning my antivirus off If the download could be infected.

HOW OFTEN DOES CO8 RUN VIRUS CHECKS ON ITS DOWNLOADS? AND WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME IT DID IT?

14. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Umm... There are NO viruses in the Co8 patch. The virus is present
    in the NoCD patch which is not a part of Co8. Notice that the virus
    'was' (provided that this isn't a false alarm) has been in existence for
    over 4 years without any anti-virus program finding it. I remember
    I checked it for viruses after my first download because it seemed
    strange for me that a crack can weight only 33kB. Besides we all started
    getting the alarm after the last Windows update, so it's very probable that
    it's only a quirk of the update. Microsoft has been acting lately really
    screwy, the other day my bro's mouse wouldn't run because of a faulty
    driver update, so I guess it may something of the similar nature.

And for all you haters: YOU DOWNLOADED THE CRACK, SO IT'S YOUR
    GOD DAMN FAULT YOU HAVE THE VIRUS (if it's real). Thank You.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  15. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

What are the odds that Microsoft, whose current unoperating system actively downgrades device performance if it *thinks* there might be a break in the DRM chain, would release updates that would tend to make antivirus programs treat circumvent cd/copyright checks as malware per-se.

Just saying.

--thearioch

Our Host!