Armor and Encumberance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kalshane, Apr 29, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Has anyone else run into the game stacking armor check penalty with encumberance for skill checks? According to the 3.5 rules a character should only suffer from the worst of the two, but ToEE stacks them together. (Running Atari 2, Co8 3.04, moebius' updated temple.dll and Livonya's 1.5 mod, though I noticed it before installing it. Just kept forgetting to mention it.) Is there an easy way to fix this?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, if it helps, i used to have Zaxis failing checks while wearing leather armour, despite the fact the book says "a bard can cast spells while wearing light armour without incuring the normal arcane spell failure chance". So thats an associated area of the game that is bugged.

3. Kalshane

I've never run into a problem with a bard miscasting in light armor. Most people that have reported the problem also had a shield or buckler equipped, which was the source of their problem. (A bard's ability to cast in armor does not and should not extend to shields.)

4. Bisrha

Bisrha Member

speaking about encumberance....

... I have a clerc with STR 13 (+1) and she has medium encumberance already with her starting equipment... i think the weight is 54. is this correct? and can somebody post what the maximum weight is you can carry with each point in strength?

Thanks, Bisrha

5. Kalshane

If you click on the little weight indicator in your inventory, it will tell you what the minimum and maximum weight is for your current level of encumberance.

Also, a list of carrying capacity by Strength rating is listed on page 95 of the game manual.

The game normally starts clerics out with medium armor (scale mail), so if the game followed the rules the way it was supposed to, your character having medium encumberance would not have any additional adverse effect beyond that of her armor. Unfortunately, this isn't the case, hence my complaint. *G*

6. Shiningted

Just so anyone who might be inclined to look into this knows, I have had it happen several times with leather armour and the Elven shield, which I understand has a miscast % of zero, unless I misunderstood something.

7. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

It is the shield that is the problem. It is hardcoded. Bards ALWAYS have a chance of spell failure using any shield. No matter what shield it is!

It has been that way since the beginning.

I am working on a work-around, but it is very odd and not perfect.

- Livonya

8. Shiningted

Thanks champ! Glad to know it was not all in my head (crosses that one off the list)

9. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Never used a shield...

...as a Bard. In fact, I used a wand of force the one time I did it in PnP. I wonder if this could be replicated in the game? Gives you Mordenkainen's Sword, Bigby's Forceful Hand & Wall of Force; it would also cancel the effects of these spells if cast against the wielder, and draw a charge into the wand. The first effect looks like a lightsaber, and is equal to a +5 Bastard Sword. Force, indeed.

Probably too overpowered & hard to create...

Our Host!