Argh... misleading thread

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by ithildur, Nov 20, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

I happened to be reinstalling tooe and wanted to try the newest version of the KOTB demo, so naturally I browse the forums here, as it's been a while. I see a thread that gives instructions for installing KOTB, so naturally I look there...

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5756

I read it, and see that it has links listed conveniently to download the files, both the mod and the patch... and proceeded to do so.

Unfortunately I realized after it was all said and done, that these links are for an older (outdated and obsolete) version of the module and patch, and find myself having to download the newer versions from a different thread.

Is there a reason why these links are still listed, and to make it more confusing, right in the thread that's titled so as to lead noobs straight to these older files?

2. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

I think I'm hosed and will require a fresh reinstall from scratch (once the newer files finish dling, that is...). The instructions for the newest version of kotb demo says it's recommended that the older mod be uninstalled, although front end will recognize it alongside the newer version.

Problem is, I don't see any way to cleanly and safely uninstall the older kotb mod. It doesn't show up under the Remove Program list in Control Panel, nor do I see the folders for kotb under the default root directory for TOEE. It seems 5.6.0's TOEE X erased a bunch of folders and files that were copied over during the kotb 'install' (copy/extraction of kotb files into the main TOEE directory, that is); I recall seeing a message during the initial activation of TOEE X that some 'older version files' or such were being removed. The only trace left of kotb I see are a handful of miscellaneous kotb text, tfm, tfs, and doc files in the main TOEE directory, although starting kotb does seem to work...

Either way, I need to uninstall the old version I'm pretty sure in order to ensure a clean install; how do I go about doing that?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Ouch that old version is actually pre-TFE-X. Best to uninstall everything and start over, yes.

Run the uninstall utility to remove ToEE via Add and Remove Programs, then go back in via Windows Explorer, locate your Atari directory, and delete the Temple of Elemental Evil folder and all its subfolders. Then reinstall the game, patches, and modules as described in the installation instructions.

Sorry about the live links in that other thread (they've been disabled now), but in the future you should stick with the sticky threads. They will always be the topical ones.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks for that Gaear. Sorry Ithildur, but yeah, stickied 'Demo final' trumps unsticked 'Demo'. I'll keep this in mind for later releases.

5. writeawaynyc

writeawaynyc Member

hey guys... my apologies if this question/issue is answered in a way I just dont follow (as Ive said before, Im about as far from techno-savvy as you can get).

I read the thread that talked about someone not being able to do KOTB missions (demo 1.1) and the reply that 1.11 is available. Ive literally just downloaded that.

Issue I was having was not being able to figure out how to get out of the keep to do external missions (I recall one thread saying a secret door is to be found in the sewers).

Question is: does the 1.11 patch fix this? I know theres no walkthroughs so some minor tips for a newbie in KOTB is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy holidays.
    w

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If you've gotten the external quests, open the world map (icon at lower right) and click on a quest location. If you don't have the quests yet, go read the bulletin board in one of the shops on the southwest side. ;)

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Also, rtm.

Our Host!