Aragorn and the hobbits

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Nivlat, Oct 23, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nivlat

Nivlat Member

Would such a party have any chance of succeeding?

Human fig/ranger
    Halfling fig/rogue
    Halfling fig/rogue
    Halfling rogue
    Halfling rogue

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Yes, but you really want at least one Wizard and one Cleric to craft magic items for you. They're just too useful. The good news is multi-classing them with Fighter will keep them viable in combat too. You don't actually need that many levels of spellcaster to be good at crafting items.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Samwise was the absolute textbook example of a high Wisdom / low Int character (complete with high Will save).

Throw in his love of gardening and you have a Druid.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Why limit yourself to a 5 character party?

Aragorn - Fighter/Paladin?
    Legolas - Ranger
    Gimli - Fighter
    Gandalf - Wizard
    Pipin - Bard
    Merry - Fighter
    Frodo - Rogue
    Sam - Druid

I ran out of room for Boromir, but he was a bit of an asshole anyway so...

florian1 likes this.
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I like bard for Pippin - you'd have to question if he had the Dex for a rogue (maybe I am influenced by the movie too much) - but I'd stick with rogue for Merry.

6. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

Why so?

I've never crafted an item.

I don't even know how.

I've completed KotB and ToEE numerous times.

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@FDR4PREZ you are missing out on the most accurate D&D magical item creation system in CRPG history if you aren't doing it in ToEE. Not to mention all of the items that can only be created in game because they don't have physical examples to be picked up within the game.

All the other D&D CRPG's skip the item creation feats entirely in favour of flooding their games with hundreds of non-RAW minor magical knickknacks that have never been printed in any D&D magical equipment resource.

Neverwinter Nights was full of loot you could collect that give +1 bonuses to skill checks (which is worse than a non-magical masterwork version of the standard item), many of which made little to no sense.

To use item creation in ToEE, you just need to give your casters the Scribe/Craft/Brew/Forge X feats when they level up. Wizards start with Scribe Scroll (they can spend a little XP and GP to make scrolls of any spell he has in his spellbook - great if you use multiple wizards who can then trade spells between them).

Clerics and Druids benefit most from Brew potion, though Wizards and Bards have some interesting options too.

Craft Wondrous Items opens up a vast array of useful gear for each class.

Craft Arms and Armor allows the creation of custom magical weapons and armor by allowing you to stack enhancements of your choosing onto your gear for an ever increasing price.

Craft Wand obviously makes magical wands of any spell you know, each has 50 charges.

Forge Rings has it's uses, Rings of Protection +5 and Rings of Regeneration or Rings of Invisibility for example.

Craft Rod doesn't have a whole lot of options but there are some interesting items there.

Craft Staves adds a few magical Staff options for your Spellcasters to cast various spells from, but also a few other magical weapon properties can be utilised that only apply to staves.

In all crafting options there is an XP and GP cost, and usually other requirements that must be met - the crafter's Caster level and Spells Known to the caster, and occasionally racial requirements.

Kosiciel and Menen like this.
  8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Honestly, crafting makes the game too easy.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Only if you're ok with saving and reloading constantly.

10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Why would crafting cause you to have to save and reload constantly?

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The opposite, rather... NOT crafting will result in more lost combats than otherwise (I was responding to Sitra, not FDR4Prez).

Our Host!