Any suggestions against the Balor? --SPOILER--

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Dec 17, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

I am having a bit of a time trying to kill ole fireboy. I have NG party with a Paly, and do not want to use the Orb of Golden Death.

Any suggestions?

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Make sure anyone that is going to be meleeing him has a holy weapon and some form of protection from fire (ring of fire resistance, frost brand, resist energy: fire or protection from energy:fire).

Before engaging battle with him, have your cleric cast Remove Fear and Bless on the party. Have your wizard/sorcerer cast stoneskin on all meleers and Haste on the party. Have your cleric use every melee buff he has: Divine Power, Divine Might, Divine Favor. Have your paladin cast Divine Favor right before you move into combat and make liberal use of Smite Evil during the fight. If you have a bard, have him use Inspire Courage on the party and any other boost spells he may have.

Try to get a tank, preferrably your paladin, since he can heal himself, around behind the balor and have your rogue flank from the front. That way the rogue can get the hell out of dodge if the balor starts pounding on him and/or your cleric can reach him easier to heal him.

If you have animal companions, throw them into the fray. They'll die, but it's one less hit another party member will take. Summoned creatures and spiritual weapons are also good for this.

When the Balor's hp start getting low, get anyone without a heavy dose of fire protection and/or a lot of hit points well away from him so his death throes don't take the party down with him.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I flank the bugger from the start with a summoned bear or spiritual weapon or something else u can pop straight in behind him.

Also, if u use Scather properly (ie max out power attack etc) it can be good for 100 hp damage or so per round. While we all know you will crash the game using it in normal combat, if Mr Balor looks like 100hp will finish him off (ie he will die before the loop-crash sets in) it can be easily done with Scather. I certainly finish him that way.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

I will try the flanking first-- maybe with a Large Earth Elemental, but I am not sure If I am going to Use the absolutely wonderful sword Scather until I get a better system.

Also, anyone know how to get around or resist his Fear spells and Charming??

5. Kalshane

Casting Remove Fear on the party, as I mentioned above, will help against the Fear spells (+4 to save), Bless should give an additional +1 (I haven't checked if it does) Characters with low will saves can be helped against Charm and Fear effects by casting Owl's Wisdom on them, or you can just make sure your wizard/sorcerer has Charm Person to charm them back to your side.

The method I described above has allowed me to kill the Balor without using Scather and without loosing party members (though the latter isn't guaranteed). Just make sure that when the Balor is at critical health, anyone who can't take 100 points of damage and live is well clear of him.

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

Thanks Kalshane-- I don't know HOW I missed your very infomative first post!!

I am sorry about that-- you have great ideas about it!.

In addition to the other buffing spells, my sorcerer has Good Hope, I will also cast that!

I didn't know that Remove fear had a duration, so that tidbit will be VERY helpful!

Thanks again all!

7. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

resist magic is also a good one.

on my last trip through the fire node I took an charmed Owlbear and an Etin, they made good cannon fodder, I had more problems with the 3 hezrou he summoned.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

What is Resist Magic?? I couldn't find that spell anywhere...

Well I killed the Balor using the other tactics, but I am not pleased with the result so I will backtrack and try again. 3 of my party died, although I raised one and he was still alive at the end of the battle, and the Main Balor did not leave the Gem when he died!

See, he had summoned a second Balor, and I killed tha main Balor first, then was working on the summoned one, when it disappeared, about 5 rounds later, I assume because it's summoning had worn off. But there was no body of the First Balor to Loot, and hence, NO GEM :(. Anyone have this problem before? I shall try again.

9. Kalshane

Generally the Balor explodes and leaves the gem on the ground. I've never had him summon another Balor before, though, so it could make things weird.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Oops

I ment spell resistance - 5th level cleric spell

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

I thought that you may have meant that Cujo, but I had tried that and only got a SR 12 , which didn't seem to help much. So I was hoping you meant something more powerful.

Well, I did beat Balor again-- and Kalshane he did summon another Balor this time too.

Other than the annoying thing of having my Paly (of all people!) and my Barbarian freakin charmed for half the battle, I used a few Heals and everyone lived until the second Balor exploded , killing my poor Barby, whom I THOUGHT I had moved far enmough away.

For the record though, the second Balor only had about 170 Hps.

Does anyone know why the Balors keep killing the Efreet and Quasits that they summon too? Just thought that was wierd.

And I found the gem on the ground, but I had to sleep befroe the game would let me pick it up for some reason. I could click it and it would tell me what it was, but wouldn't put it into my inventory no matter how many times I tried, but after my group rested I got it. They must have been "too tired to pick it up" LOL.

12. EUIX

EUIX Member

Sorry to dredge up a old thread but I am having trouble killing the Balor. I can't seem to hit him at all. Does anyone know what approximately your +xx to hit has to be in order to hit him consistently?

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

magic + holy + cold damage

cold spells and more cold spells

14. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

My secret is to have an elven fighter specialize in a bow from the start of the game, and take every proficency available for a bow. Then, he gets gloves of dexterity, bracers of archery and his composite longbow is magiked to the hilt. Of course, it is an 18 strength bow so it hurts with each hit (about 15-17 each time, not counting criticals). Demons and the big baddies are no match for him and since he is away from the fray rarely gets hit. I recommend EVERY party to have a character such as this as it makes life much more simple and easy in the long run, especially in tight spots.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Ditto with a Halfling Rogue/Ranger maxed out with all the groovy archery skills, weapons, and magical accessories. He was the only one doing any real damage against that thing, and scored the hits which took it out. Haste helped, too.

Our Host!