Any issues installing ToEE on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by florian1, Jun 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Although greatly improved, the game continues to be unstable, crashing during play about 30-40% of the time, and this is with only short sessions i.e. creating one or two characters, or completing purchase of starting equipment and then trying to start adventuring.

I would be interested in exploring the idea of other problems, such as video cards, drivers, or such, but I am not really sure how to go about it. I do have .net framework, all the way up to 4.0.

My video card is NVIDIA.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Have you tried the video scaling setting maneuver? It's detailed in the Modpack Explained thread. Also there's an issue with some nVidia drivers that causes problems - see the 'Current Issues Tracker' for that. And the alt-tab maneuver was mentioned in gazra's sticky. ;)

If you've got McAfee back, that's bound to cause problems. It's one that needs to be completely uninstalled in order to leave toee.exe alone, from memory.

4. florian1

The only "no-scaling" I could find was in the toee.exe properties in the compatibility tab. The box was checked for "disable scaling for high dpi". The Nvidia control panel did not even mention scaling, and I haven't been able to track down anywhere else on the computer to select "no scaling".

The game is working pretty well in window mode, and almost not at all in regular full screen. Window mode is not very satisfying compared to full screen. Everything is slower, and moving the party around is extremely frustrating - you have to hover the curser just so to make anything happen.

McAfee is unintstalled.

5. florian1

The suggested Nvidia drivers are quite old, and are not listed as being compatible with Windows 8 or the version of Nvidia that I have.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Did you click on the link I offered a few posts back to let Nvidia check your drivers for out of date and correct operation?

7. florian1

Yes, I did. The service told me that ToEE is not supported, and had me download their most recent driver. Which didn't help my ToEE.

8. Gaear

There seems to be no universal terminology used for this ... on this computer e.g. (nVidia card) it's controlled via 'aspect ratio settings' > 'maintain aspect ratio.' Basically you don't want your graphics card to try to resize the screen resolution for videos, because it can indeed cause these hanging type problems with ToEE, which historically has a hard time minimizing/backgrounding/foregrounding/going away/coming back. (That's why the whole process should basically be avoided.)

Anyway, if windowed mode is the mode for you, you may want to check out the new front end: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10304. It's currently in beta but seems to be stable. It has a wide variety of supported resolutions for windowed mode, so you could choose one that is the next size down from your monitor and play in 'almost' full screen. The best way to pan the screen in windowed mode btw is with the arrow keys.

9. florian1

I will check out the beta front end. Thanks. I didn't realize that I could move with the keys. I am sure it is all explained somewhere, and the keyboard can do everything, but I am a lover of the mouse so I don't learn more of those than I need to : )

My current virus protection is Windows Defender, which I think is the Windows 8 version of Windows Security Essentials (and comes as part of windows). Are their known problems with that one?

10. florian1

Is there anything else it might be called? When I open the nVidia control panel, I have a bunch of options that I can adjust, listed under "manage 3D settings", but none of them are "aspect ratio". The only other tabs for making changes are "Adjust image settings" and "Set PhysX configuration". Neither of those seem promising.

As I mentioned previously, the only place I found that mentioned "disable display scaling" is in the compatibility tab in the toee.exe properties, which is checked. TFE-X has that grayed out, so I cannot select it.

11. Gaear

If it's a derivative of Microsoft Security Essentials, it may well be batty. Note that antivirus issues will be very apparent very quickly however - you won't be able to launch basically, because the executable is quarantined or gone. So if you're launching okay, the issue is probably not antivirus.

"Disable display scaling" is probably what you're after anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that one either. Otherwise, :shrug: Every system seems different nowadays. If windowed is working for you, I'd try to learn to love that.

12. florian1

I think I will go with that. It is a larger window with the beta TFE-X : )

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Our Host!