Any issues installing ToEE on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by florian1, Jun 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I just got a new computer, which came with Windows 8, and am attempting to install ToEE from the original disks. I have tried two different sets of install/play disks, but both fail, with various error messages, and a catastrophic failure.

Does anyone know if this is a problem with Windows 8, or something else?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Can you give a bit more information, as in what kind of failure and at what stage of the installation.

Are you applying the Atari patches, are you installing somewhere other than program files, do you get as far as installing the Co8 mod?

3. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I had no probs installing on windows 8 (so much so that I can't remember much detail, other than that I looked at and followed the advice for Win7and all went smoothly). Not at that PC at present so can't give more detail for certain. I think I created a new folder rather than putting into the default in programs though.

4. florian1

Thanks for your response : )

I was trying to install the game from the original Atari discs. The "instal" disc seemed to work fine the way I remembered, but when it asked me to insert the play disc, it told me that it was the wrong disc, and to reinsert the instal disc, which then led to error 1 I believe.

I tried several times, and actually have two original copies of the Atari game. I tried installing with both. The ToEE folder was created each time, but the game would not run. I deleted the entire folder each time before trying again. I probably should have done uninstall, but somehow couldn't figure out how to get to that with Windows 8.

I am returning the computer today to exchange for the same one, as it has a couple of problems (the DVD drive does not open manually, and the space bar key is very sticky - extremely annoying, especially as it is the most pressed key!), and I may ask the tech guys at the store what they think.

edit: The ToEE program does not show up in my "uninstall or change a program" window, after I have deleted the Atari folder.

5. florian1

I am glad to hear that windows 8 seems to be compatible.

6. sirchet

The main thing I would concern myself with is first to install in a custom directory, I would use c: Games.

This usually solves many of the problems with Win7/8.

Please let us know how it works out for you.

7. florian1

Got a replacement computer (for unrelated reasons), windows 8, and tried installing the game again, this time to c:Games. This is an initial installation from the original Atari discs. Same problem occured.

When asked for the play disc, and I insert it and run it, I get the following error message:

"Error Number 0x80040707
    DLL function call crashed:ISRT._ComponentTransferData

Setup will now terminate"

And then it terminates. A bunch of files are in the Games folder. I delete them before I try to install again.

I have tried several times, same result each time.

Edit: this time I ran the installation and play discs as Administrator, and ended up with a similar problem at the same stage. I got the following message: Component Transfer Error - Catastrophic Error

Edit 2: I am downloading GOG and will try it that way.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  8. sirchet

Good idea, you may have a disc with corrupted data.

Static electricity strikes again.

9. florian1

Maybe, but I have two separate sets of discs, and they both came up with the same result.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What antivirus are you using?

Anymore it really seems that installation issues are down to specific systems/PCs/configurations, as opposed to operating systems. For modern systems, GoG is probably the way to go. They at least offer some tech support, and their install has supposedly been tweaked for modern rigs.

11. florian1

12. Gaear

McAfee is a known offender. You might try switching to a known non-offender, like AVG Free. I use AVG Free, and all you do is add toee.exe to the exceptions list once and it doesn't care after that. :)

13. florian1

After downloading GOG, installing ToEE in c:GOG, uninstalling McAfee, running as administrator, installing AVG, and installing the mod pack 7.8 (without adding the patches), the game starts properly, plays the intro, and gets to the start screen (with options for New Game, Load Game, Options, and Quit Game.

The first time I got to this screen, I selected Quit, and that worked fine. But since then, each time I get to that screen, the cursor is not working! It won't move, and I could find no way to get away from the screen than to unplug the computer and pull the battery!

I am once again at that stage.

I am really hoping someone has a suggestion....

Edit: I have since discovered that the cursor will sometimes move briefly if I do so immediately, but after a few seconds freezes. The music keeps playing, but the game is untouchable, as far as I can make out.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  14. Gaear

Did you add toee.exe to AVG's exceptions list?

15. florian1

Yes I did, and I added a few others as well, as things did not seem to work at first. That may have been other issues, so I will now remove the other exceptions (other applications in the ToEE folder) and try again.

I did reinstall both the GOG and the Co8 mod pack, but I get the same result.

Thanks for your all your help and advice so far. Greatly appreciated.

Our Host!