Activating Welkwood Bog

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by aehchua, Jan 20, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. aehchua

aehchua Member

How do I get to go to this place? I was under the impression it was the only new location in 5.7.2, as all the other mods had been "taken out."

I read the delisted FAQ, available as a link from some conversation, which suggested I speak to Smythe or Renton. Neither of these individuals opens a new area on the map for me.

2. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I don't think there is anything there. You could get there with 5,5 but it was just the map.
    I believe it's a wip for the next release. But I might also be wrong.

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Hugh
    For more info regarding future releases and Welkwood Bog, you might want to look at this thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=91989#post91989 .
    In the future (starting with v 5.8) there will be two "flavors" of each release: one with all the extra locations (Welkwood Bog, Hickory Branch, etc...) and one without.
    The Royal Canadian

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You may all be interested to know that the populated version of Welkwood Bog is coming along very handsomely and should provide an exciting new challenge for both old and new players alike. :)

We'll try to put up some screens soon.

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Is there going to be poison damage over time after entering Welkwood Bog? I remember the thread where The Royal Canadian said that the thing the differentiates bogs from swamps is that bogs have poisonous water underneath the earth clumps.

6. Gaear

No, no poison, but I will be adding a bunch of traps that no one will have ranks enough to disable so you'll have to go back to Hommlet and rest all the time.

Actually I won't. ;)

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Necro
    I think you misunderstood what I had posted. A bog is a grassy area that is growing over an area of acidic water. Keep in mind, that when I say "acidic", I don't mean that the water will eat the skin off your bones as soon as you fall in. For more info check wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog . Gaear mentioned setting several traps in the bog. One type of "trap" that he could use is the bog itself. Bog "ground" isn't always as "solid" as it looks, and all sorts of things that could happen if a careless adventurer falls through into the water underneath.
    The Royal Canadian

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Bogs usually have all sorts of creepy, crawling things. Snakes, lizards, spiders, etc. All the things I don't like. Falling into a pit full of snakes is not my idea of fun. Traps? Ala Indiana Jones and lots of undead. The bog probably wont be a nice place to visit.

9. Necroticpus

Wasn't the bog intended to be a low level thing to help forego the whole town fed-exing thing of running aorund to all the houses and sticking your nose into private business? Will there be a holy longsword +1 in the bog? Because that would pretty much take care of skipping Hommlet. :poke:

10. Gaear

Nope, no mega-treasure. Welkwood will be 'old-school.' ;)

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

Excellent!

12. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

If I remember correctly, Welkwood Bog was being developed for loe level characters. As the plans are to put all new contest after the battle with Zugtmoy - or Zugmtoy, or zuggtmoy, or just Zug... I never know the correctly spelling - this will happens with the bog, too? Will we have any "early" chalenge for low-level characters in some way diferent of the actual 5.7.2.?

13. Gaear

Have a look at this news post for the latest.

To answer your question, Welkwood Bog is being designed for level 0 characters, so it will definitely be a low-level alternative to Hommlet (if you want it to be). Or you can do Hommlet and Welkwood Bog, whatever tickles your fancy.

14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Level 0? Does this mean we are all little kids? If you could add a shrink spell upon entry to WWB to make us look like kids that would be great.

15. Necroticpus

If kids are 0 level and most of Hommlet's peasant working class farmers are 0 level, does that mean there's a 50% chance for either side to win in a fight? There should be a child uprising where they pound all the 0 level adults.

Our Host!