About pickpocketing...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Daniel, Oct 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daniel

Daniel Established Member

Does anyone manage to steal rings and necklaces back from Nira the jeweller?

I have this routine of selling + stealing from him (as advised in these very forums, hah) with a rogue with a pickpocketing skill of about 20 (including a heroism spell and an inspire song) and I have noticed that you can steal everything back from him, except two things:

- stuff that goes into his list of goods to sell

- rings and necklaces.

From a roleplaying point of view, it would make sense that if he actually dons the jewelry, it's going to be a lot harder to remove it from his fingers and neck. Harder... but not impossible, if you can distract his attention at the same time! So is there a modified DC for rings and neckalces, or does he just swallow them/ feed his rust monster /send them to this nice little cottage in the third layer of the Seven Heavens???

:blink:

(I s'pose from a roleplaying point of view jewellers should not buy the same gem 45 times in a row with an unlimited supply of coin - but then it takes a lot of coin to craft those girdles +6!!)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Umm, from a roleplaying perspective, that might be about right, but computers without AI aren't very good at roleplaying ;)

From a game mechanic's point of view however...

You buy the gems/rings/necklaces from an invisible container located near the jeweler (so the necklaces and rings are in the chest - not on his neck and fingers).

When you sell items to him, single items go in the chest (and as such, they can't be pickpocketed), but stacked items (multiple gems/necklaces of the same type) are added to his personal inventory (and as such, they can be pickpocketed).

3. Daniel

Thanks for enlightening me! :)

(hmm now where's that detect invisibility scroll hmm)

4. Allyx

Hehe, that won't work on the chest.

5. Gamoc

Gamoc Member

heh, I've never tried pickpocketing on toee..

in fact, the last time I tried pickpocketing was on Baldur's Gate when I was about...10 or something...and I had no idea what I was doing so I did it to some guy who was uber powerful, and he raped me so I've never tried to do it again...

Stupid wizard-type-people!

6. Daniel

you've been missing a lot of nifty items then, especially in Baldur!!!

save more often. :nerd:

oh btw, Allyx, I was just being silly heh

7. Allyx

I know, but with Ted gone for a while, someone has to fill the board with spam, might as well be me. :dance:

8. Daniel

c'mon, it's blatant you're the serious type :D

Our Host!