About killing Iuz

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by superworm, Jan 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superworm

superworm Member

You know, I once played through ToEE, however I just didn't meet this guy Iuz. It seems I killed that Hedric guy too quickly to allow him the time to summon his master.

Any way, when I came here to find some interesting stuff, I came upon a post talking about Iuz, so when I was playing the second time, I did pay special attention to Iuz. And I met him tonight and successfully killed him.

I made a quicksave before fighting him for the first time, and had to load that later. Iuz was almost immune to magic, and his AC was so high that I just couldn't hurt him a bit. So I equiped Scorpp with that Fragarach and turned on power attack on the second try. (At that time, Scorpp was lv9 and could attack 4 times a round. After buffed as much as possible, he could do around 60 damage per hit to Iuz.) Then I buffed the whole party and surrounded Iuz, and started battle.
    I must say it was a successful battle. Iuz didn't attacked Scorpp before he died. However I was defenitely frightened when Iuz made 7 attacks one round and killed my fighter/pal with one full attack. And he could always kill one of my PCs each round. And when the battle ends, only 2 of them survived along with Scorpp, each of which gained over 10,000 exp. I was greatly disappointed when finding the loot to be a pair of leather gloves and boots and a greater temple black robe...

2. Phil

Phil Member

If you've got a couple of good fighters/barbarians with Fragarach and Scather, Iuz goes down very easily.

Once thing I've never managed to achieve is getting St Cuthbert to appear, When you gear up your party for massive damage output, it's all too easy to kill Hedrack and Iuz too fast !

I'd love to have a go at beating St Cuthbert :)

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

This "Iuz guy" is a demi-god. There's no way anyone should be able to kill him. He's got Finger of Death at will, once per round, to mention only one of his abilities. Every party should lose one member per round given this little tid-bit. I really think this whole encounter needs to be fixed. Cuthbert ought to show up more quickly so the both of them can go hash it out in private. Anyone offering battle to the Old One should die for their hubris.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

maybe not, if the character had enough HP and awesome saving throws

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Spike, as it stands now Cuthbert shows up on Iuz's 4th round of combat. Just enough time for him to take out a few party members, to teach them a lesson. The only thing that is really broken about it is Frag and Scather. Without those swords no one would be able to take him out in 4 rounds.

What could be done is make it 4 rounds, or until his hp are less than a certain percentage of his max, when Cuthbert shows up.

6. Lord_Spike

I'm just blowing off steam, really. It'd be nice if the lesson was there that it was a mistake to attack him in the first place, but I like what you say about those swords. That'd be the real trick, fixing them. Fragarach should either be with Thrommel, or basically non-functioning for anyone but him. Scather should only be in the hands of someone who helped Thrommel recover Fragarach. It would still be "broken" by people consoling them in, (or whatever), but that's them "cheating", which can't be helped. Are the swords identical in function? I forget, but it's broken if they are. Scather & its mates are far less powerful.

7. Cerulean the Blue

I'm still kicking around that idea of keeping the party from getting their hands on Frag. KotB is my top priority right now though.

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

@CtB, do it, do it.

has anyone with scripting knowledge tryed out san_wield, and would that make a difference?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I did look into some of these sort of things a while back in the hope of making an intelligent chatty weapon and found a lot of those sorts of scripts didn't work :( But san_insert_item works fine, so we could do something based on that.

That being said, as much as it sickesn me to see people regularly carrying on about how they had both Scather and Fragarach in the same party etc etc, I am not in favour of reducing the abilities of either weapon, or of preventing people having Fragarach per se: if you find him, and he get's killed on the way out of the Temple (or you make use of him deeper into the Temple, which is not unreasonable, and he falls in combat) then you should get his sword. That is, there are legitimate role-playing reasons to have it.

Spike, I don't remember anything in the material you sent me about that encounter saying that if anything happens to Thrommel the party shouldn't be able to use Fragarach; am I missing something?

Cujo: stop distracting the KotB modders or I will turn Snookie and Bunkles into butterknives :p

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

don't you threaten me, or I'll submit you material with so many bugs it'd put atari to shame.

11. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Ah, I always knew there was a devious mind behind that... wait... I already knew your mind was devious. Hmm...

But yeah, I agree with Ted here. There are legit reasons to get ahold of Frag, but there should be no way at all to have both Frag and Scather, as so many people say they do.

Also, wasn't Scather supposed to be a Greatsword? I played through the last time I got ahold of it, and it said it qualified as a Bastard Sword. Just a small concern that fits in here, I think...

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Ditto. Anybody who makes these demi-god killing claims should be forced to acknowledge their cheating and/or exploitation.

To wit: "Iuz goes down fairly easily if you console in Fragarach and beat him with it." Or, "I was unable to beat St. Cuthbert without consoling in Fragarach and taking advantage of it's god-like answering powers. My tactical expertise alone was insufficient, so don't get the impression that I'm a super-skilled player or anything like that. I just exploited the system."

Much more satisfying.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Just for the record, my ideas about not letting the players get a hold of Fragarach only come into play if Thrommel is still alive. If Thrommel dies you will still be able to loot it off his body, but if he is alive and you take it, or if he dies, you take it and raise him, he will get pissy about it, take the sword and leave, with no reward for you. I may even rig it so if you console the weapon in and Thrommel is not dead it just leaves in search of him.

But like I said, I'm working on KotB now, so this mod is on the back burner.

14. Lord_Spike

Ted...your example is the only one I can think of where it might serve a new master. If Thrommel were alive, perhaps it would work to rescue him, so to speak, by leading the wielder to his location, if that were known (or sensed) somehow. If Thrommel is alive, and in view of the blade, then the sword is aware of him..."he need only gesture, and it comes to his hand." They are very close, you might say. If the sword is withheld, it certainly would not function for that person. Fragarach is unique, and should be considered a character for all such purposes.

In general, all of these swords don't function for beings of differing alignments:

FRAGARACH

This hefty steel broadsword bears a mighty enchantment. It was originally fashioned for a demigod of elsewhen, and eventually passed into the WORLD OF GREYHAWKâ„¢ Setting. It served well for a short time, all too soon falling into the hands of the minions of Chaotic Evil. It has been in their grasp for a decade or more, resting in hiding in the Temple of Elemental Evil, guarded by the worst of elemental grues. Fragarach means "The Answerer."

The sword is of Chaotic Good alignment. Any Lawful creature trying to grasp it takes 1-6 points of damage and falls senseless for 1-10 rounds. A Neutral creature holding it takes only 1-3 points and swoons for 1-4 rounds. In evil hands, Fragarach has no "to hit" bonus whatsoever; in Chaotic Neutral hands, it will strike but one opponent per round. The sword functions perfectly only for a Chaotic Good user. In such hands, its + 4 bonus always operates, and it will strike as many opponents unerringly as have struck at its possessor. Fragarach always hits all such targets, the + 4 pertaining to additional damage only. Note, however, that The Answerer always strikes last in a melee round. Against evil opponents, the bonus doubles (to + 8) whenever a natural 20 is rolled for "to hit" determination.

The sword has a hilt of silver and gold wire, most cunningly wrought. Its guard and pommel are set with perfect emeralds (corundum)—7 gems, total value 65,000 gp. Its scabbard is likewise trimmed with precious metal and decorated with many gems of green and golden hue, worth another 35,000 gp.

OTHER SWORDS OF ANSWERING

When Fragarach first came to this world, it received immediate attention and quick renown; so much so, in fact, that six other swords like it were forged and enchanted. These are lesser weapons, of course, and their alignments vary. Each has a + 2 bonus (and cannot hit opponents struck only by + 3 or better weapons). On a natural "to hit" roll of 1, no bonus applies; on a natural 20, like their predecessor, the bonus is doubled (to + 4). These lesser swords are identified by the differing gems set in guard and pommel. They are reported to be amethyst, aquamarine, garnet, peridot, topaz, and tourmaline stones, with combined value of about 24,000 gp per weapon, 16,000 gp per scabbard. These weapons are named Rebutter, Scather, Replier, Retorter, Squelcher, and Back-Talker, in honor of Fragarach.

S_D...Broadswords. All of them. Not great, not bastard...broad. Changes the entire range of damage, and perhaps even their desirability. Somewhat weaker, aren't they?

One last note: With Fragarach as the exception, they only hit back as many times as the number of attacks the wielder is allowed to have in the course of their attack sequence in a round (or w-ever-tf it's called now). Weaker still, especially for non-fighters.

15. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I can see why they were greatswords (one handed only) some one switched them to bastard swords (costs you a feat to use one handed and less damage) cos of people exploiting the use of both fragarach and scather.

one thing I'd be happy with is if fagarach and scather had a reduced damage (like 1d8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!