A Question for the DMs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord Plothos, Feb 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

First, I apologize if this is not deemed an appropriate place to post this question, but I know many of you are experienced pnp D&D players, and there's an aspect of the 3.5 rules I don't get. It involves the amount of treasure players should get as they level up. I've checked the errata files released by wizards, and the problem is not addressed, so I hope someone here can help me.

The table on page 54 of the DMG describes a character's "expected wealth gain", which is defined as "what table 5-1 [the treasure table] indicates a character should gain while reaching his next level." Now, the most natural reading of that description seems to me to be that the entry in that column is what amount of treasure a character should gain over the span of time they spend at that level. So, where the entry for a 2nd level character is 1,800 gp, that would mean a 2nd level character should be expected to gain 1,800 gp by the time she gets to level 3, over and above what she gained getting to 2nd level. Thus, when she turns level 3, she should have around 2,700 gp (due to the entry for 1st level being 900 gp). This is consistent with the fact that this is supposedly derived from average results from table 5-1, and the fact that a character going from 1st to 2nd will require x number of CR1 encounters, while a character going from 2nd to 3rd will require 2x CR1 encounters, generating twice the treasure. It also HELPS to explain why the entries for 11th and 12th level are BOTH 22,000 gp.

So far, so good, but when you look at the NPC characters later in the DMG, the money totals for them seem to be consistent (more or less) with just the single entries on the expected wealth table. That is, the equipment and extra funds of a 19th level fighter are pretty much right in line with 180,000 gp, the entry on the table for 19th level. But if the above strategy is right, a 19th level PC would have much more than this, on the order of 300,000 to 400,000 gp. In addition, using a computer character generator, licensed by wizards (e-tools), generating a character gives them funds for equipment in line with these NPC tables, and not in line with the strategy above.

So, my question is which is right? How much money should a character have upon gaining 3rd level? Are the rules for NPCs and PCs just different (and e-tools got things wrong)? Or is the description of the table misleading (and the entries for 11th and 12th level in error)?

Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for putting this on a ToEE board.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The table you saw is presented differently to the one I have from the 3.0 dmg but looks accurate the value listed is not the total wealth that a character of that level should have, but an indication on how much wealth a character should gain from one level to the next. A 3rd level character should have 2,700gp, an 11th level character should have 66,000 and gain 22,000gp by the time they reach 12th level, then gain an additional 22,000gp by the time they reach 13th level. 19th level characters should have 580,000gp

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  3. Lord Plothos

Thanks a bunch for the clarification. Any take on why 11th and 12th level should give the same amount, then jump suddenly to 40,000 at 13th? Also, why do the NPCs get so much less?

4. Allyx

I agree they could've evened out the progression table better, but I think it must be something to do with being able to cast 7th level spells like limited wish maybe? being able to craft Demon armour various really cool weapons (life-drinker, mace of terror, nine lives stealer, arrows of slaying, rod of withering, staff of life). as for why NPC's get less I can only assume that they used the wealth they earned buying food and lodging you must bear in mind that adventurers earn experience quickly because they put themselves int potentially fatal situations almost daily, but the town preist would gain experience far slower because the church he serves isn't constantly under seige from viscious rampaging beasts. There was a module I read once for second ed. d&d called school of wizardry, you learn the craft of wizardry, with a few minor benefits, but when you reach 3rd level you must return to teach a new class, you had the option of staying in the school to study but you only gain a level after 3 years of study, thats a lot of meals, and they all add up.

does this help?

5. Lord Plothos

The rationale regarding the NPCs certainly makes sense, and is in line with what I was thinking (though many NPCs you meet are going to be adventurers or warriors or something of that sort as well, and they really present it like it's a universal thing, even recommending that any alterations you make to the equipment should come out of the gold listed on the table). Anyway, I think I'm going to alter the entry for 12th level, because I really think that was an error. You'd expect it to jump 8,000 and then 10,000 from 11th to 13th, but instead stays the same and then jumps 18,000. In fact, I think I'll email wizards and see if they put that in an updated errata file.

6. Allyx

I wouldn't bother it's the same in 3.0 and 3.5, I don't think they'll wanna bring out version 3.6 anytime soon, although that said any excuse for them to make more money out of us!!!

7. Lord Plothos

Yeah, but they've released pdfs on their website listing errors in the books and suggested changes (basically, get out your pencil and cross out a paragraph to replace with another one). Anyway, seems like the kind of thing they'd include... assuming it is indeed an error.

8. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I think the main reason NPCs get less is so that in the case of antagonists, a character doesn't suddenly double his wealth by fighting a same-level NPC. So rules-wise it's a game balancing thing. In-game, Allyx's theory makes sense.

Our Host!