A few weeks without internet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zebedee, Aug 7, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Due to a monumental screwup involving switching ISPs, from Sunday night I will not have internet access for up to 3 weeks. Me is not happy, but just a headsup if anyone wonders "where the hell has he vanished to.. he promised to...".

I hate ISPs and fixed term contracts. :sadblinky

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

When's your away time begin? Can we bug the piss out of you until then? My god, what will we do once you've gone?

Seriously, you'll be missed...but it's good to know you'll be back! That is, if you can ever truly stay away that long...

3. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Upto three weeks you said... damnit Zeb, you must be having the right run-around! Bloody ISP's. :shame:

Come on back soon mate - it's too quiet round here without ya!

4. Zebedee

Behind a firewall so strong that it refuses to allow me to access any of my usual forums and most websites - welcome to free public library access ;)

Currently waiting for Talktalk to sort out my ADSL. Have been trying to get even dialup running but for some reason I can't get a connection to work. Much annoyance.

Hopefully up and running sometime in the next three weeks... (heh).

Joy, joy.

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Well, good luck with the ADSL Zeb. Who are you switching from? What did they do??

I use NTL, and even though they have the worst customer service in the world, I can't complain at the uptime. :grin:

UK Public Library access - yuck! :paranoid: I hate those things, but I guess they have a use even if I reckon they should spend the damn money on more actual books. :raving:

6. Zebedee

I'm switching from BT. Originally I was going to go with, gah, forgotten the name - much cheapness for 1 meg ADSL but they wanted a 1 year contract and then had the gall to insist in their contract that I had to pay even if they didn't actually have any internet service (which apparantly is a common feature).

So I moved to Talktalk but the way ADSL has to be plugged in and unplugged at the exchange is totally fubar and with talktalk snowed under, my university network down it means that I am up a creek atm.

God knows what I've done to my PCs internal modem. Might have a look at that tonight though and see if I can get a 56k line up and running for a few days. Last time I did that though it cost me almost 200 quid because gf couldn't quite grasp the idea of pay per minute and went on it constantly while I was sleeping. Gah!

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

*grin* I guess she figured it out when you showed her the phone bill? Every girl understands the concept of cell phones and overages, over minutes. You can try to explain it to her that way if she continues to not quite grasp the concept.

8. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

I have a slightly similiar problem. Wifey switched to Qwest DSL w/ MSN, now my dsl and dial-up have battle every time I logon to the 'net. I'll be online when out-of-the-blue the dial-up menu pops-up prmpting me to sign-in. WTF, I'm online, I've got f'ing DSL and I'm (supposedly) setup to use it. It has gone so far as to slam me into offline mode at random intervals.
    Back on topic, though. Come back ASAP Zeb.

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Sokaijin: Close all Internet Explorer windows. Open your Internet Explorer properties.

Tools | Internet Options | Connections (tab) > click the modem dial-up account in the list window and select the "Never dial a connection" radio button option. Then click the OK button.

10. Sokaijin

Sokaijin Established Member

Yeah, did that. Something (or, more likely, someone) on my end keeps unchecking that. I can find nothing, and veryone w/ access denies it. *que creepy music... now*

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Sokaijin: Research the verizon site for details on any verizon profile or startup/reset registry run entries.

Start Regedit. Expand the registry window to this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Look in the right hand window pane of the run key that shows the verizon entry. If there is one you verify from the verizon site [very important], delete that string in the run key. Reboot the computer after making a change to the registry.

[EDIT] Note: Any registry string that does that might also do other things as part of the run key, too. So, make your own determination and preference, accordingly.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2006
Our Host!