6.02?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cezmail, Mar 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Just checking if there may be a possible eta when this may be ready for release?

Loving the game as is, so not trying to joggle your elbows.

Thanks for all the fun for now. :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It won't be long, but the 6.0.2 that does come out (before too long) won't contain any additional NC, just bugfixes and tweaks.

I'm working on some NC stuff having to do with Scarlet Brotherhood expansion and retribution, but it will appear in a later release. It still needs a lot of work.

Some of the majot tweaks in 6.0.2 will be:

• All generally good and lawful aligned NPCs will object to the attack/killing of other generally good and lawful aligned NPCs. This means that they will separate from your party, make an angry statement, and attack you.

Generally, LG, NG, CG, and LN NPCs will do this. Generally, LG, NG, CG, LN, and TN NPCs will be the beneficiaries. This means that Elmo won't like it if you attack Armario the cabinet maker, but he won't mind if you attack Wat. Wonnilon (true neutral) won't mind if you attack Armario, but others will mind if you attack him. And Turuko won't mind if you attack anybody. And so on. Some NPCs may even object to you attacking certain animals, like sheep and farm dogs.

• Paladins will fall for killing most any undeserving soul in Verbobonc.

• Disinterested NPCs will flee combat situations more effectively.
    This in addition to the already announced reversions of the Moathouse chests et al and other things.

p.s. - Another significant thing: all NPCs who have dying scripts (e.g., dying sets a flag that makes other NPCs flip out, like Meleny's dad), now have resurrection scripts, so if they are brought back to life, you won't see NPCs complaining about them being dead while they're standing there. There were quite a few instances of this (although Meleny had already been fixed). Pretty much everybody who gives a damn should know just who's living and who's dead now.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  3. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sounds great Gaear and thanks for the extra info and the teaser for future content. I understand that 6.02 will be mostly tweaking, but I would appreciate all the fixes and test out the responses of various NPC's in the various killing fields. :)

4. oudeis

oudeis Member

I thought that the new content was done except for bugfixes. Is there more to come besides the above expansion? Is there more information about the expansion that you can share?

EDIT- I went back to the ToEE news thread in the community section and refreshed my memory. Is 7 still on track for the first half of this year? I forget if I've asked this before, but has Co8 added a major quest/storyline after completing the vanilla game's main quest, or will going through the new content after it's moved post-temple just be a lot of adventuring?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. Gaear

Good questions ...

New content: probably not done with that. Aside from the new SB stuff, we have plans for more Hextor material. All this is due in part to feedback indicating that more fleshing out of these plotlines would be good. As for new new content, we still have to add in War of the Golden Skull. Other stuff may come as inspiration and time/availability dictates, which could mean anytime or never.

One thing we've been wondering about is oversaturation. The NC is in theory supposed to basically cover leveling from 11 (or thereabouts - wherever you'd finish vanilla) to 20. If we keep adding more stuff, eventually there will be more XP to be had than levels to gain. I'm not sure that's such a bad thing though ... so you stop leveling eventually as you continue adventuring, big deal. :shrug:

v7: very likely not on track for the first half of 2011, as we haven't even started working on that project yet. Most likely there will be a 6.5, which would contain the SB and Hextor expansion stuff and maybe dolio's spell fixes overhaul, then maybe a stable v7 of that later, then maybe a 7.5 that conatins WotGS beta, then a stable v8 of that later, etc. Don't really know yet.

Major quest/storyline: I suppose right now you could consider the fate of the rule of Verbobonc as that, although it's not exactly 'epic.' The nature of ad hominum mods tends to lend itself more to a sort of mixing bowl of abstract adventures, as you suggest. That may actually be best, as stopping 'teh evil of teh temple' is supposed to be your main goal in ToEE. Once again, we don't really know. We'll have to see what happens.

6. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

I see no trouble there as long as the NC is interesting and/or fun to do. Also I have never managed to get my whole group to level 20, even when using group only of four. My crafter/s tend to lag behind at least two levels. (btw. just wondering: can't that level cap be raised again?)

I can't see any problem with NC and the main storyline. Even in the Vanilla most of the quests had nothing or very little to do with your goal of defeating the Temple. Or how are fixing hommletian lovelives, fistfights in bars or recruiting converts to new religion related to your goal of finding about the evil of the temple and bashing it? Just think about the two great games Fallout and Fallout 2. Both have a primary goal (which changes in middle of the game) but the 99% you do has nothing to do with that goal or to each other. And it is that 99% which makes the games so great. :D

7. Gaear

Since this seems to be sort of an update thread ...

Also in 6.0.2: Burne and Otis will have 'assistants' to do their bartering for them. This will relieve them of the burden of having to be adventurers and merchants at the same time (which then required all sorts of complex scripting to activate/deactivate one or the other, since there were actually two mobs of each - one to barter and another to adventure*).

Because of this, we also inadvertantly fixed the bug where Burne refreshed his inventory only once, which should make gazra happy.

Burne's assistant will sell scrolls in the floor below the main hall in the castle. Otis' assistant will sell arms and armor inside the smithy in Nulb. Their inventories will be identical to what Burne's and Otis' were.

This will also allow both Burne and Otis to have separate day/night standpoints instead of tirelessly burning the midnight oil outside or in the main hall. Burne will go upstairs at night with Rufus and Pishella, and Otis will go into the smithy.

Note that these assistants are different from the respective apprentices, Pishella and Sammy.

*Turns out that both mobs seemed to be active at the same time anyway. It was just generally not noticeable because they were standing in exactly the same places. Meh ... rather than trying to fix that, just adding assistants to do the bartering solves all those problems and does away with a bunch of scary code.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sounds cool Gaear and I am glad that you are simplifying the set up and making things easier for this update. Thanks again for the info and keeping us in the loop with what to expect.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

On NC and storyline...

I can see NC becoming a standalone mod, just like KOTB. At this point when I play TOEE, I usually do ONLY NC content unless otherwise prompted by the game to get the necessary story-states. I know it's a lot of work, but I'd say it wouldn't be inconceivable to move the main story hub into Verbo and make Welkwood and Hickory become areas around it; throw in a few more text quests, and maybe an area to replace Moathouse, and you've got a complete standalone Verbo-mod.

I know this isn't happening anytime soon since there's still much to work on, but I'm just pitching this as an idea to think about for something to do later since the majority of work on fixing vanilla TOEE seems to be done in 6.0.

10. Gaear

Am I correct in assuming that Mother Screng no longer sells from her shop inventory if she's been in and out of the party? If so, she should probably get an assistant too.

Are there any other combo merchant/adventurer NPCs that I'm missing?

11. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well maybe if you want to add Mother, from the Moathouse Respawn, as recruitable NPC then she would need an assistant. :D

12. Gaear

Update:

Having a hell of a time with some of these really basic updates - getting the good NPCs to do what they're supposed to regarding interventions, etc. Also added an assistant to do Mother Screng's bartering but she doesn't want to refresh her inventory, even though she's using the exact same script as the others, blah-blah-blah ... and trying to get Otis to bang on his anvil now like a proper blacksmith would but he prefers to worship it instead, etc. Sometimes this engine is so goofy that it's just funny.

Anyway, we're getting closer ...

13. crowbar87

crowbar87 Member

thanks for all the hard work you're doing :hug:

really looking forward to the next updates

14. Gaear

Update:

The above trials have been overcome and we're unofficially shooting for next Tuesday, 4/26, for release. Yay!

Also coming to 6.0.2: capital upgrades to Verbobonc! After 6.0.1, they tore down the old old arena and put up a new old arena that is significantly larger (actual size) and thus looks that much more impressive. They had to blow out some of the old buildings in the south to do this. Plus, there's a refurbished 'town square' area up by the city hall that features a circular glass underlit floor (that glows blue at night!) where the landing point/arrival point on the map is. It's more befitting Verbobonc's 'big stuff' image in the area ... looks sweet. :mrhappy: I'll see about posting some pics later.

(I wanted to put the Verbobonc code of arms symbol on there, but it's really hard to turn a 2D image onto its side so that it appears quasi-3D in a 2D isometric view. :scratchhe Oh well.)

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Sounds really cool. Gaear and I look forward to next week for this treat. Thanks again for all the hard work you and the other mods have done.

Our Host!