5.7.1 - healing Bing doesn't register with his brother

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by MichiK, Jan 5, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. MichiK

MichiK Member

Jakk said he wouldn't convert because Terjon couldn't heal Bing, I heal Bing using the stolen scroll from the church, but Jakk isn't registering that his brother is healed - not for the conversion thread and not for making masterwork items.

Bug, or am I missing a step?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The quest problem with Jakk is a known bug, but Bing makes the masterwork items. Ask him.

3. MichiK

MichiK Member

Ah, but that means the whole quest chain in Homlett that ends with marrying Meleny and getting the +1 Holy Sword is unobtainable... alas

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I just finished a full playthrough and I got the holy sword from Meleny's old man. I always use the heal potion on Bing and I've never had a problem.

5. Gaear

Hmm, conflicting reports! I'll check into it and we'll issue another hotfix if necessary.

Thanks for the input, and please bear in mind that the purpose of beta releases in the first place is to iron these types of issues out.

There's always a chain of causation for bugs, and in this case it's very simply -

broken Bing masterwork respawn (these have always been just generally buggy, until now) leads to fixing Bing, which leads to other possible unforseen consequences

In other words, fixing these respawns properly runs the risk of causing other issues. Discovering other possible unforseen consequences requires playtesting, which is what players of beta releases are doing. For which we thank you. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. maalri

maalri Immortal

I had that problem with previous mods too, but the Heal POTION worked still, try that.

7. MichiK

MichiK Member

Nope, just tried potion and it didn't work, either.

Also, I understand the concept of a beta, and salute the hard work you guys have put in continuosly over the years.

The last time I played ToEE was, I think, Co8 4, and I have been lurking around wondering when to try again.

I think I will wait a little longer ;-)

8. Gaear

You mean the heal potion didn't correct Jakk's acknowledgement (or lack thereof), or it didn't work at all? If it didn't work at all then you may have some other problem unique to your install, because that's simply a matter of 'if x then y,' with x being HEAL POTION USED and y being BING WAKES UP DIALOG. And it's always worked fine in internal testing.

Thanks for your beta understanding, btw. But despite what you might hear around other corners of the net, I think you'll likely find this release to the most stable Co8 has put out overall. Bugs always find their way in, but things have steadily gotten better. And if you're a fan of less new content, things are definitely much better.

9. MichiK

MichiK Member

Sorry for not being clear. The heal potion did heal Bing, it just didn't trigger Jakk.

Harumph. Besides being a heretic and not believing in St. Cuthbert, Jakk also seems to be blind to the things going on inside his own house. ;)

10. rnblue

rnblue Member

I had the same problem with Jakk following successfully healing Bing with Terjon's heal potion.

11. MichiK

MichiK Member

Any kind of ETA on that fix?

12. Gaear

I'll check into it tonight. Give it a day or so.

13. Ulgar

Ulgar Member

I have the same problem. Just to confirm that it is an issue for at least some of us.

14. Gaear

Fix is now avaialble as an add-on in the Downloads forum (or see the news post).

15. Ulgar

Ulgar Member

THANKS, but when going to download i get this message

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at files.co8.org has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

Our Host!