5.7.0 and old mod compatibility.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by blackfly, Jan 3, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Winter is here. So I have upgraded to 5.7.0 and am playing through as a evil party.

I went to Deklo grove and decided that I would kill the drow found there. So I waited until level 3 to attempt it and never found the drow. Weird. Is this common/the norm. I thought the drow appeared regardless if you were evil. No, I did not kill Lareth by that point.

Related, has any developement on that storyline been done? That is, you give the note to Lareth and it turns into something? My game is relatively new so if it is worth going back it is not too late, but would like to know.

I recently had the 5.5.0 mod with the high level mod (tale of the golden skull, I think) and if I upgraded my game to 5.7.0 do I need to add it again? I never got to the high level mod but intend to this time and would like to know before I get that far that the mod will work.

Again, to all the modders, I raise my glass.

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I believe the drow in Delko Grove was removed in 5.6. Not sure of the reasoning, I enjoyed killing him too.

War of the Golden Skull was developed for 5.5, I cannot guarantee it will work for 5.7 (It has a lot of flaws in 5.5 to begin with).

3. blackfly

Thanks Ranth. I am suprised myself that someone goes to the effort to put in something that then gets taken out when it was no problem to begin with. I am assuming that the removal of the Drow means the quest line related to it is dead too. Does this mean you don't get to encounter the kolbolds if you are good?

I kept 5.5.0 on my computer and will activate it should WotGS not work. I am eager to try out a new idea.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I think they removed the drow quest as part of Co8's attempt to re-balance the game. With all of the additional content, PC's were becoming too strong too early. This is also why 5.6 removed Verb, and all extra quests.

If I understand correctly, the long term plan is to re-release all of this content, but make it suitable for high level parties. All of this content will be after you defeat Zuggy. This way ToEE is very close to vanilla balance, and then all of Co8's content will be at the end and balance for end game play.

5. blackfly

So I am assuming that 5.7.0 does not have Verb in it.

I have posted this elsewhere but the whole point of added material is to make the game interesting to play. I have had the game on my hard drive for 5 years, and without the added material I would of retired the game long ago. Removing added material in lieu of the original game will only bore people and cause players, like I, who have played the game many dozens of times to give it up for good.

Good thing I have still got 5.5 on my gamelist so if I find 5.7 lacking I can always go back.

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I'm not really concerned with balance as I would much prefer new and different content. For people who have played for a long time vanilla doesn't offer much. I'm hoping for all new content to keep the game from getting stale.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

The drow in Deklo was supposed to be a part of a quest for evil parties that never got implemented, thus removed. He was supposed to give you a message to deliver to Lareth, thus to skip all the Hommlett crap, or something.

5.7.0 is like the closest Co8 has been to vanilla since 4.0.0 except with more fixes. If you're looking for new content, I'd say wait till 6.0.0 gets released, that one is supposed to have lots of goodies.

Our Host!