3d Models

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by indio, Oct 1, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. indio

indio Member Veteran

Anyone know what 3d package Troika uses for modeling ??
    3DS , Lightwave , Maya?

this much I know about the Art/Meshes directory

meshes.mes = enumerates meshes in the game
    .ska = animation

.skm = mesh

.mdf=defines what skin to use and it's parameters
    MDF's also have the color values of all the selection tools
    i.e. mouseover enemy , mouseoverparty , as well as for spell effects

.tga= is the skin

.txt=lists animations associated with the mesh and the parameters of the animation related to that model

2. Balboa

Balboa Member

from Troikas team page:
    "Pelton, Corey - After jumping from doomed company to doomed company, Corey finally found a home, with other competent professionals, at Troika. Corey brings with him his extensive animation skills, his rather sick sense of humor, and his utter hatred of the so-called animation package 3DS Max. When he's not animating at work, you can usually find him at home honing his animation skills, in Maya of course."

so I guess its 3DS Max then :)

3. undule

undule Member

I'm sure those formats are proprietary to Troika?

They would need to release the export plugin's and further tools before we could mod in 3d.

4. Tegyr

Tegyr Member

well, the NWN modders figured out alot about the modelfiles before bioware released information on them and had an exporter for max before there was one from bioware if i remember correctly. so it propably isn´t impossible, but rather very complicated and workintensive to figure out.

note: i have no clue how to go about this, just wanted to note that no one should just give up. maybe somneone with skills in this area might start working on it and maybe get lucky and figure it out. :)

5. indio

indio Member Veteran

the same for BF1942. A import/export script was made for Maya , Milkshape , and 3ds . as well as a skeleton import / export with no help from the Devs

6. Joviex

Joviex Member

Indeed we did :) I had a working LW importer with base model exporter for LW long before NWN decided to release the MAX stuff.

7. undule

undule Member

Well I wasn't suggesting that no one try. 8)

On the contrary, I'm really hoping some smarty pants type whacks out a tool for us -- I would never underestimate the resourcefullness of the mod community.

But it sure would have been nice if they released the editor, etc, like they did with Arcanum; but then we canjust do the actual modelling while waiting for the tools to arrive . . .

8. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

I haven't messed around with the files yet, as I will have to reinstall max on my current machine, but the format is the same used by qfusion. It could be a co-incidence, but you can read the specifications here (*.rtf).

Our Host!