1st time poster has a question..

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fallout43, Nov 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fallout43

Fallout43 Member

Greeting CO8. I've been lurking around here for a while now and I finally have a question to ask. Is it considered "cheating" to hang around in a random encounter area and rest to generate monsters? I've never tried it before but I'm doing it now in my latest game. I had to power-level Meleny up to about 4th to be useful in my group. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of personal gameplay, but I wanted outside input.

Thanks in advance for the input and thanks for the great community,
    F43

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

In pure D&D roleplay, yes it is "cheating" because why would your characters stay in the area they are in? Maybe to rest up to full HP before travelling again. But other than that, there would be no roleplay reason, and certainly after the group found a certain area unrestable, they would move on right?

Now that the hard-core D&D purist in me has spoken, I don't think ANYONE would consider it "cheating" to seek out more EXP to level up a lower level add-on.

If you really want to "Cheat" look at the last few posts about console commands, Lord Plothos give a great way for just ONE of your characters to get more EXP (In D&D purist ideaology- who's to say that you shouldn't have picked her up at 4th level instead of 1st? hmm?)

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

The way you did it is referred to as 'farming'. It is an exploit in the opinion of some, thus it is 'cheating'. Consoling is a definite cheat, but it has its uses. Bottom line is that YOU have fun with YOUR game, and play as either a purist or not depending on what your sense of enjoyment allows.

Our Host!