+1 Holy Weapon vs +1 Holy AND Lawful Weapon

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Dec 1, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

How worthwhile is a lawful (Axiomatic) weapon for Co8 v8.1 New Content edition? I just made a LG Heironeous Cleric crafter to get Holy & Lawful weapons at level 7 or thereabouts and was curious how often this helps compared to just Holy weapons.

I also use Temple+ 1.0.29 which has new weapon mods. My party will be able to access all the weapon mods during crafting except Evil and Chaotic, not that I especially care about Evil and Chaotic.

Thankee!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. FDR4PREZ

FDR4PREZ Established Member

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I guess that depends on how many non-evil chaotic enemies there are in the new content, I'd dare to wager that there aren't many of those in the game, depending on which factions you ally yourself with.

That said, the Holy and Axiomatic effects both apply to targets that are both Chaotic and Evil, which has to be the most prevalent alignment type of all bad guys meaning they take additional damage twice per successful hit. So taking both would increase your damage output in the majority of cases.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Unless I'm mistaken, a good number of the new content opponents are also Chaotic Evil, so Holy Axiomatic weapons remain a good idea even after you defeat the Temple.

5. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Agreed with everyone, however I discovered a great many opportunities available to many of the Cleric disciples. Even the plant domain has some interesting choices. There is a link to all of the Clerical benifits via god or domain or whatever. I will try to post it soon as it is suprising to even a veteran player.

6. Endarire

I'm also curious about Temple benefits for a Holy Lawful weapon. I'm most of the way through the Temple but want to ensure maximum DPS considering I made a Cleric mid-game specifically to make LG weapons.

7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Hextorites (monster mash, WotGS) are LE, but the Slavers and Hickory Branch enemies are CE as far as I can remember. Axiomatic Holy weapons do 4d6 extra damage to CE foes but only 2d6 vs LE. It's certainly worth it in the temple; later on I guess it's a bit of a glass half full/ half empty situation. I don't usually bother because I generally prefer a different domain rather than being restricted to both L and G.

8. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Keep in mind, if you give an item that has Axiomatic to a chaotic character they get a NEGATIVE level. The same alignment opposition applies for other types like Holy/Unholy/Anarchic

And I like having at least one cleric with the Sun Domain for the Greater turning

9. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Very good point. Actually forgot about that.

10. Endarire

The Cleric is just a temp to craft A&A, especially LG weapons.

11. FDR4PREZ

I've played thru numerous times and I've never crafted a single item.

Not a scroll, not a potion, not a weapon/armor

Maybe one day i'll need to give this a shot

12. Endarire

Congrats on not needing to craft anything!

I, however, found crafting one of the appeals of the game, and was crafting with a Wizard soon after this game came out in 2003 on an early playthrough.

13. FDR4PREZ

Odds are when I do get around to crafting something I'd be all, "what!?! Why haven't I done this before?"

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Oh you really should. Crafting your own magical gear is IMO what sets this game head, shoulders, knees and toes above all the other D&D CRPG's on the market, I usually give my Cleric Brew Potion at 3rd level, wizard takes Craft Wondrous Items, Both take Craft Arms and Armor, Wizard takes Wands, Rings, Cleric gets Rods and Staves.

15. Endarire

I never found any need to craft any Rods, Staves, or Potions in ToEE. However, I've made more SCROLLS, WONDROUS ITEMS, and MAGIC ARMS & ARMOR than I could count! I've pondered investing in wands, but it's one feat and a major money/EXP investment for a small number of wands.

Our Host!