Would you feel threatened?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Aug 15, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I don't think officers are trained to use their cars in that manner. Perhaps they should add it to the curriculum.

2. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

In London at that time in the morning I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been a lone officer sent to deal with the call.
    There would probably have been a car and a police van with possibly a dog.
    The officers would however have been unarmed.

You probably can't blame the officer, but it does seem like a waste of a life, especially a young one.
    While I never attacked anybody with a bat or even got into a fight I did do some pretty stupid things at that age. Drunk and sober, it's what teenagers do.

Maybe Duluth needs to hire some more police officers.

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I think Duluth parents need to beat the !@#$ out of their kids more so they don't end up taking a dirt nap for something stupid. No one beats their kids anymore and we are seeing the result of it. Spare the rod, spoil the child. I recall many, many beatings I took from my mother when she used a big wooden paddle, a traverse rod (for drapes), a wiffle bat, an aluminum cooking pot, a pliers, a shampoo bottle, a rocking horse and assorted other things. I have never committed any crimes in my life, or rather, never convicted. Unless you consider marijuana a crime or riding my bicycle drunk. I have never got into any serious trouble because I never acted like a total dink or a mad dog. I haven't attacked any cops or anyone else with a bat and I haven't killed anyone, not for lack of wanting to. I am glad my mother beat me like a rented mule. Made me tough as a bar of iron and instilled within me an urge to murder everyone who does me wrong or is just plain incompetent/ignorant. It all comes down to self control, which this dumb little bastard didn't have. Maybe if his parents would have cared about him enough to beat him well and properly, he probably wouldn't have got shot.

4. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

The main problem is not the absence of "beating", but absence of "disciplining" at all, in any form.

P.S. Do they accept frail foreign citizens in the Duluth police department? I always wanted (and want) to be in law enforcement.

5. Necroticpus

I wouldn't advise it, Serg. The rest of the people in Duluth are not as cosmopolitan and sophisticated as I am. It's a small town of about 80,000 people and I think the last time I saw, 2% of the population were minorities. This means most Duluthians are racist, homophobic, insular, distrusting and mostly passive aggressive. If you ever hear the term "Minnesota nice", it only applies to other people from Minnesota and only if they live in the northern half of the state. While I would welcome you with open arms and heart, most everybody else would be watching you out of the corner of their eyes at all times and most likely discriminate against you for being russian. I mean, people from Minneapolis, MN get discriminated against here in Duluth. I can't imagine what you would get to go through. Duluth don't like strangers coming in and stirring things up.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

They ARE trained to use their cars in many ways. That has probably been excluded with reason.

After I had been in the Guardian Angels for a few months, I cut WAY back on my drinking and now drink only in very limited circumstances. When you are drunk in public, you are automatically someone else's problem, ill intent or not.

When you get drunk, you have made yourself stupid. And stupidity kills.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

In the state of Florida all you have to do is grab the locked door handle of a vehicle of a person who fears for their life or well being and you can legally be shot, castle doctrine hb248.

I agree with most of you, no one can foresee how any given person will handle what they perceive to be a matter of life or death.

I can state what my actions would be, but I have been in close quarters combat more times then I care to remember, but all Rangers are well trained and tested in this. I owe my life to this training.

I will say that the loss of a young man's life is tragic, but the loss of a man's life that has chosen to protect his community would be a far greater tragedy.

Young people do stupid things, that's why all young people don't become old people. Just the smart and lucky ones do.

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Nobody mentioned all the tax dollars saved from not having a trial, all the jail time, appeals, parole hearings, etc.

Just like in the natural world, the weak, slow, and stupid, get weeded out. Too bed the lessons don't seem to pass on to future generations, though.

9. Necroticpus

Maybe when I read the article and posted it I was having male menopause or something. Before I read it, I was always ready to counsel that cops don't use enough bullets in the line of duty nowadays. And then this thing comes along. I think the age of the kid just temporarily got to me.

I think it was for the best. I don't believe it was all alcohol fueled rage. I believe there was other issues going on there. The dumbass kid called the cop out and got what he was looking for. But why was the parent letting his 17 year old kid stay out at 3:00 in the morning to drink meth and smoke beer? Actually, it's probably likely the parent didn't know. I can give him the benefit of the doubt on that one. The cop most likely did the world a favor by greasing the future career criminal.

I know my kid would never do anything like this because he's more afraid of me than anybody else. I stand by my statement that parents should beat their kids more to show them the error of their ways. It's better to receive an ass kicking and live and learn than to take one in the shorts by someone who's job it is to kill you.

10. Necroticpus

He got free. Look out, kids. He's like a man-eating bear. He's got the taste of blood now and craves it constantly. :poke:

Fatal shooting by Duluth officer found justified

Scott County Attorney Pat Ciliberto has found that the Aug. 5 shooting of 17-year-old Joey Carl by Duluth Police Officer Jeffery Keast was justified.

By: News Tribune staff, Duluth News Tribune

Scott County Attorney Pat Ciliberto has found that the Aug. 5 shooting of 17-year-old Joey Carl by Duluth Police Officer Jeffery Keast was justified.

Ciliberto was asked to review the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigation of the shooting to avoid any conflict of interest.

Keast shot Carl once in the chest late Aug. 5 after Carl had apparently smashed Keast’s patrol car with a bat in a fit of rage, including knocking out the driver’s side window. Carl died in the street near his parent’s Morgan Park home.

The report was released this morning. Duluth Police have scheduled 2 p.m. news conference on the finding.

According to the county attorney’s finding, “Officer Keast arrived at the location and was immediately set upon by Joseph Carl. … Carl immediately attacked the squad car, smashing the windshield, passenger mirror and hood. … Carl then proceeded to chase the squad car as Officer Keast attempted to reverse out of the situation. … When Officer Keast struck another vehicle and was unable to move, Joseph Carl proceeded to the driver’s side of the squad as Officer Keast ordered Joseph Carl to put the bat down. … Carl ignored the officer’s demands and smashed out the driver's side window, narrowly missing Officer Keast’s head. As Joseph Carl was in the process of swinging at Officer Keast’s head again, Officer Keast discharged his firearm."

*edit*
    I wonder if it affected him in any way, psychologically, if it did at all. I'd be curious to hear from him.

*edit 2*
    Ooooooo, picture of the death scene! I think I can see some blood on the asphalt and on the clothes!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Being attacked by an enraged freak probably has more psychological effect than shooting one. By the time the officer fired, he was probably prepared to.

After hearing the details, I knew it was a righteous shoot. I would pay a million dollars for a device that RELIABLY incapacitates someone without harming them or me. It hasn't been done yet.

12. Necroticpus

HOLY !@#$!!! The cops released the video of the kid getting shot!

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/171944/

I keep watching it but I can't hear the shot.

*edit*
    Oooooo, I think I might have heard it, right before you hear the bat clanking on the ground.

*edit 2*
    YUP! I heard the shot right before the second time the bat is clanking on the ground. I wonder why the bat was clanking the first time? Maybe the kid dropped it and then picked it up?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  13. Necroticpus

Rubber bullets! Bean bag gun!

You can owe me. :poke:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  14. Sachmo

Sachmo Knight of the Crown

People have died from being shot with a rubber bullet.
    Bean bag shot at such close range would do some decent damage as well.

We've used bean bag rounds here in Western Australia, shot from a shot gun, and the bloke looked like some one had pummelled the snot out of him. Each hit is like being struck with a bat.

Tazar is the probably the least injuring tool, but has its limitations and should not be relied upon in life or death situations.

15. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Someone should develop a net. Micro thin, shot from a wand thing. Guess it wouldn't work too well from the inside of a car, though.

Our Host!