Scoring system.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Apr 19, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Has there ever been consideration for a scoring system that can be seen at the end credits? Like assigning points for quests completed, temple priests eliminated, total cash, experience points, etc ,to come up with a total number value. Way too much hassle or what?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds interesting, w-g. On a similar note, I've often wondered if the game stats (kills, uses of skills, etc.) could be modded to display totals for everyone instead of just the leader.

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

that would be cool Gaear id like to see how everyone is doing through the game.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

A scoring system would be cool, speaking of end credits, if it wasn't to hard it should take into account party allignment and how well you stuck to it during game play, eg if you party was LG but you just killed every one you met, lied and cheated your way throught the game it should say something about that.

5. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

hmmm interesting idea there dont know if it can be done but it would add some incentive to play your characters the way you made them.

6. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

Some concerns with scoring

I have a couple of concerns with having scoring in the TOEE:

First, it might lead to confusion over what the goal of the game is supposed to be about: is it to complete the great quest appropriate to the starting party alignment, or is it to get the biggest point score ?

Second, if points become important then what stops someone from never finishing the game but instead just endlessly killing wandering monsters, for example, for more and more points with no limit in sight ? This could well make TOEE like those early video games where players spent ages and ages on them just racking up more and more points till boredom set in and they quit (or else got eliminated in some way). I don't think TOEE was meant to played this way, it just feels out of character.

TOEE should stay on the path it was originally meant to be on: the grand quest, where characters struggle against the odds, find fame and wealth and notoriety, and find their true calling in life (i.e. to save the world, or become the High Priest of such and such, or the biggest evil dude on the continent, etc). For all of its fantasy elements and problems AD&D was never simply about point scoring. Experience points were simply a means to an end and that end was character advancement.

To make point scoring an end in itself would thus alter the game away from that which makes it great and instead turn it into a glorified Space Invaders.

Space Invaders was a good game, for the times that it came out in, but TOEE is not Space Invaders, and shouldn't become so. If it did, I think it would lose something in the process, and be cheapened as a result.

TOEE is supposed to be about role-playing and adventure. Let's keep it that way.

7. nitewolf

nitewolf Packleader

While I agree completely with Rook, I would like to see a total of each party members kills, crits, etc, too...

8. wizgeorge

I am in total agreement, and that's not what I was thinking about. Depending on how you played the game the end credits reflect it. If you get the Orb, get it destroyed and go and refuse the pillar of platinum, loot the gems on the throne, end of game. All the priests and wizards and other temple people escape. If you destroy the demoness on the Prime, you get a different set of credits. One scenario would earn a lot more points. Have time limits. If you have all 4 gems, okay you got 4 days to deal with. Or, once you've got all 4 gems, the only thing you can do is either destroy or take it with you, Decide now. No other options, just to build up points. I suspect the only people interested might be video game types. It was just a thought. There is no measure of well you did in the game, except if the end credits are all positive.

9. Jota

Jota Member

Role-Play vs Roll-Play

But for me its all about this two, and if i want just Role-Play i dont need a system rules like D&D for that. The roll take a very important part here, you want go left or right let the die decide your path.

10. wizgeorge

I was just asking a rhetorical question. Would a scoring system at end credits be feasible. That's all. Is it necessary, no way. Is there enough interest to do it. Who knows. I don't think it would have much effect on how people play the game anyway. I usually end the game at the end of level 4 anyway. I'm not real fond of the elemental nodes as is. When all the new mods are out, I'll play all the way through. I think a lot of people don't care what the end credits say anyway. Just a thought.

11. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

I don't like the fire node nor the earth node due to problems with crashes, or near crashes, when the game can slow down almost, but not quite, to a dead stop. I think the people at Troika have a lot to answer for here. These nodes could have been made much more interesting, playable and therefore enjoyable. If I didn't have the desire to get the gems for the Orb I wouldn't even bother with them most of the time.

12. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Old thread, but interesting...

Something of this was implemented?

It could be fun, to have a list...either in ToEE or KotB...

"monsters encountered" 13/38
    "items found" 10/50
    "quests completed" 30/70

etc etc...it would add interest to play the game to find everything...and if some players want to make just points, let them be, what's the problem? It wouldn't affect the game...

Our Host!