absolutely terrible experience with TOEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by jettmorrison, Aug 17, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. jettmorrison

jettmorrison Member

I've been wanting to play this game for quite awhile. As a rabid DnD fan, this game seemed to be the perfect mix of old school and new school gaming. At the request of a friend, I purchased and spend two days getting it loaded, reloaded, moded, and updated on my computer. (FE 5.8.1, Win 7, Atari patch 1 & 2, etc.)

For the last two weeks, I have spent a ton of time wandering around Hommet, the Moathouse, and Nulb trying to get a feel for the game. The only problem is that after everyother save, the damn game simply crashes. The save then becomes unplayable as the game immediately crashes upon load. I then am forced to 're-do' any progress I have made.

I have entered and re-entered Nulb at least 15 times. (I realize it is a buggy area). I have ran through the town of Hommett at least 10 times trying to pick up all the quests again. Damn, I have even ran the Moathouse quest 5 times, trying to get back to square one.

Shit, I haven't even seen the damn temple yet and I have wasted two weeks on this thing. Not that anyone who has anything to do with these mods is to blame. I'm just very disappointed in my experience and wish I could find a solution.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. jettmorrison

jettmorrison Member

few things: 1. auto save on new map reload is off 2. I haven't used auto save one time 3. I'm not saving over old saves. 4. I ran 5.5.0 for a day or so but was having a terrible time with the same problem so decided to try to newest mod.

3. jettmorrison

jettmorrison Member

also...1. no crafting has been done. 2. characters are not 'jerkstopping'. 3 The save problems happen in Hommet and Nulb.

After reading more posts, I'm beginning to see that the possibility of chalking these save issues up to the specific 'towns' in which I am playing. However, I don't want to actually start making a ton of progress on the Temple only to have the same save problems.

Sorry if I'm sounding like a little bitch but I'm just incredibly disappointed.

4. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

The engine is very very buggy. But to be honest I was actually able to play through until late into the temple without having the game crash once. But that just seemed to be luck on my part.

I am also on Win7, applied the no-new-content mod and used patch 2.

Maybe it's something about your party composition or the spells you're using... Or it's just bad luck :-/

Regards,
    Storm

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Have you used the console to give yourself anything? Usually an auto-crash on game load means it can't find a proto, which can happen without your knowledge if you input a non-existent one in error, because the game won't tell you anything was wrong at the time and it won't crash on the spot. It only crashes later when you have forgotten about any console activity.

6. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Did you follow the step by step directions on HOW to load it on your computer? I have issues, buit major crashes are long past me and I am a longtime player. Often it is: poor install, not having autosave changed to OFF, incorrect ORDER of install.

Start with the basics first and go from there.

7. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Well, if we now have a thread about that, I must say that I always had only minor problems with ToEE. Even with the raw unpatched and crappy translated Russian version.

8. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

If you are having that much trouble and you haven't consoled or crafted anything I'd suspect you've got a corrupted file somewhere.
    I'd delete all youe saved games and characters and start fresh.
    If that doesn't work I'd do a total uninstall reinstall.

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Before reinstalling, delete ALL your saves and start a new game.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you running the game as admin?

11. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

Sorry you're having so much trouble, jett. You're not the only person I've seen complaining about all the problems, but I'm in Sergio's camp: I've really never had that much trouble with it.

Make sure you take blackfly's advice and follow the installation instructions to the letter.

Our Host!