cure spells bug?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rickenbacker, Jul 29, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

Trying to use potions & spells to cure PC's wounds - but they 'fizz' out & get used/wasted.

This a bug? A corrupt save?

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

That don't sound good. I wouldn't think this is the case but perhaps certain classes need the use magical device skill? I really don't think that's it though. Are you using a barbarian to heal the party?

3. Rickenbacker

Nope. My cleric.

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Spells have a chance to fizzle if they wear too heavy armor. But potions should not.

5. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

That's only the case with arcane spells. Divine spells can be cast by clerics no matter what armor they're wearing, or will not even be able to cast in the case of a druid who's wearing metal armor.

Does it always happen, or just sporadically? If it's sporadically, maybe you should check if your cleric has "defensive casting" marked in the "options". If that's the case, unmark it, and it will work.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

7. Rickenbacker

Weird...

OK, so after trying several times again & checking to see if my cleric was in 'defensive casting' mode (he wasn't), I decided to just try teleporting back to the city near that blacksmith guy. Tried cure light wounds there & This time it worked!

I haven't got the slightest idea why it wouldn't work in the dungeon (3rd level down). All those other times, it worked fine underground.

Oh, & also, I had that hill giant Scorpp join me & now the blacksmith won't barter. Guess I have to temporarily get rid of Scorpp 1st?

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Were you in the part where Falrinth was?

9. Rickenbacker

Hmm, I know I had already killed him. But it was right after I killed the umber hulks. Why?

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Your cleric didn't have any spell effects on him from the umber hulks, did he? IIRC the hulks' confusion gaze can disrupt spell casting - maybe that was the problem and it wore off when you teleported.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I noticed all spells fizzle for a while after you kill Falrinth. I've always assumed he casts some kind of spell that does that. I just leave the level in order to heal.

12. Rickenbacker

Actually, yes- some of my party were confused by the umber hulks, so that could've been it.

But on the other hand, if that's what happens after the fight w/ Falrinth, then it was outta my hands until I got away from the area. (but I don't recall that happening in the past. Maybe I failed a saving throw or something)

Our Host!