What Alignments Do You Play?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Avatar_do_Grafite, Jul 1, 2010.

Remove all ads!
?

What alignments do you play?

1. Lawful Good - paladins rule

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  2. Neutral Good - I'm good, but I'm not too good

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  3. Chaotic Good - no rules, just right

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Lawful Neutral - don't bother me with your morality

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. True Neutral - you can only vote for this if you love nature

9 vote(s)
    25.7%
  6. Chaotic Neutral - I'm edgy, dark, mysterious, and sexy

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Lawful Evil - evil done right ... it's just common sense

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Neutral Evil - What does it matter as long as it's evil, right?

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Chaotic Evil - just die and be raped and be robbed already

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Paladins Rules.
    They kick ass, too!
    D&D its a game of heroes. True heroes follow rules, are kind, practice charity and protect the inocents. They follow the law, unless in a tyrany, where they go against the current law to put the things under order again.
    True heroes don't deal wuth evil, they go against it! They SMITE it when it's needed! But they are able to see when someone tainted for evil have a chance to repent and find the path of light.
    True heroes destroy undeads, becose they are - all of then! - abominations, not weapons or tools. They chase demons - and they followers - becose they are corruptive, and fight to the death to defeat such kind of evil!

Its good to be good!
    Its good to be lawful!
    Its good to be right!

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Vote in the poll for as many answers as you like (just please don't auto-vote for all of them on principle because you might play any alignment), and feel free to fight amongst yourselves about what makes a chaotic neutral dwarf unreliable or why neutral good characters should never be nice to evil disabled persons.

Go!

Note: I actually posted this thread, but AdG's reply got bumped up because I had to repost the thread due to not allowing multiple choice in the poll originally. So no, AdG has not gone insane. ;)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Ok -I misunderstood, and only voted for ONE alignment- I thought I could go BACK and vote other alignments. I didn't realize you could vote for more than one on the FIRST time, and that's the way you HAVE TO DO it.

Don't make the same mistake y'all.

Anyway, I voted Neutral Good, as it is TRUE good- unlike the too Lawful, regimented LG, or the undisciplined, buck the establishment CG.

I do play those too, upon occasion, as well as LN (for Monks mostly, and maybe investigators) and True Neutral (for Druids mostly). CN is fun, for insane people, which I have played, or someone who is really, really, Buck the establishment.

But NG is the WAY TO GO as it will take on the aspects of LG or CG as needed to produce the MOST good for all.

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I use chaotic good most often because then it feels like a group of concerned citizens banding together to do what's right for the community instead of waiting around on the moral majority to decide if they are going to do anything about the problem or just ignore it and hope it goes away. Think Charles Bronson/Dirty Harry.

I think that alignments should really be done away with because alignments can be interpreted so many different ways. As in the example above of chaotic good, the moral majority would not see it as chaotic good but rather some variation of evil, but to me, the indifference of "good" men is evil. As a matter of fact, it's amoral. Catching wrongdoers, punishing them with a slap on the wrist and a hardy talking to and then letting them go to commit more atrocities against the community borders on the edge of lawful evil and chaotic evil.

I never play lawful characters because the law is more annoying to me than anything else and is most often counterproductive to the collective good.

Every once in a while I'll play a neutral party because I like to prance around the woods in lederhosen and talk to the plants and encourage the flowers to bloom. "Wake up, little rosebud, wake up!"

I never play evil alignments because the game doesn't let you enjoy evil the way it could be, like kidnapping some kids from Hommlet and bringing them to your house in Nulb and killing/torturing/molesting them or selling them into slavery in far off lands or merely just pimping them out at the brothel. You could really have some great evil possibilities with Meleny's family because you could act all honorable and righteous until you married her to get her old man's sword, and then do really bad things to her/with her and then make sure the rest of the family found out about it. Or perhaps blackmail the family for her continued life. Or turn her evil also and send her back to her family to cause as much mental anguish/despair as possible. Or send her fingers back to them one at a time. Same thing with Mathilde's gaggle of brats. The possibilities are endless!

One of these times I'm going to create a 5 man party of chaotic neutral bards with Keith Moon, Keith Richards, Ozzy Osbourne, Jimi Hendrix and Cliff Burton.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I usually play partly neutral characters because the can be used in more differently aligned parties, So it's a practiical consideration for me.

I'm not sure what my real alignment in life is, probably Neutral Good.

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I see Ozzy as a wizard necromancer, with Keith Richards as his zombie thrawl.

7. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Most of the time chaotic neutral, though I also like evil parties. Sometimes I go for chaotic good, but I tend to hate lawful's :evilgrin:

8. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Neutral Good party mostly. Fabulous stories of gallant Knights of the Round Table burned into my head as a youth make me always want to play Paladins, but I will mix it up with the Chaotic Good ranger.

Speaking of alignments, this quote from the PnP version of ToEE always struck me as interesting. It's in the party background section to give to the PCs describing rumors of the Temple:

So it's not like the denizens of the Temple are bad people... it's just your humanocentric point of view.

9. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Overall, I've played the 3 evil alignments the most. I do hop from top to bottom and side to side of the alignment box quite a bit, especially if I'm playing back to back games without a break. I've played neutral games in search of new content, but straight N is my last choice.

What is best in life? (say it with me) "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Like most, I've tried all the alignment choices.

I prefer to play Neutral Good so my Pally almost fits in, (he's not real good at accepting other folks views). ;)

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Wow, the trend is significantly in favor of good. I guess that's not too surprising, really.

Thanks for all the input. :)

12. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I almost always roll a Paladin. I tend to play NG party alignment so i can use several Chaotic Good with the Lawful Good Pally...

I have started some of the other alignment groups to see the opening scenes, but cannot get deeply into a full game where the playing characters differ too much from a heroic worldview ...

13. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I feel that's it's wrong to disallow any particular alignment from a party. Say you have a lawful good paladin of Cuthbert and a chaotic evil priest of Iuz. The priest could act all benevolent and stuff to fly below the paladin's radar and then, on his watch, stab the sleeping paladin right in the neck, when he no longer serves the priest's purpose.

Paladin's can detect alignment but priests can also, as well as obscure their own alignment.

14. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

I favor true neutral, partially for role playing purposes but also because it's the only alignment that gives you 5 choices - so you can have a morally diverse party.

15. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

I voted Lawful Evil because it's the alignment I find the most fun in almost every cRPG. Unfortunately, there are never good LE dialogue options. I pick the most lawful and good options assuming my character is just lying through his teeth until he climbs the ladder of society. Once he earns everyone's trust and gains power it'll be hard labor and groveling for everyone!

Our Host!