Why Do You Play ToEE?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jun 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
?

Why do you play ToEE?

1. DRAMA! I love to feel that I'm living an alternate fantasy life. Bring the laughter and tears!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. COMBAT! ToEE's tactical turn-based combat engine is teh win, and everything else is irrelevent.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. I'm kind of weird ... I just like to do things like manage inventories and create new 'builds.'

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Some or all of the above.

23 vote(s)
    56.1%
  1. arius

arius Member

80% for the combat: hands down ToEE is the best video game adaptation of the 3.5 E combat rule set (among other things).

20% for the drama/dialogue and story line. It's not that I don't like that stuff, I just love the combat that much more. The dramatic stuff really compliments the combat system very well.

2. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

I have had TOEE on my harddrive for 6 years for sure. Never not had it. The work of the modders is definitely to thank.

I like the combat, especially if it is hard, unknown or new. But I voted "all the above" as new content OR quests that do not necessarily have combat add new areas to explore, characters to consider, and character builds. ANY content is nice but for me I hope for combat that actually CHALLENGES my party as it gains in strength. I am of the view that currently there is little or no risk after level 10 (at least to me) unless I face the 4 node demons or Zuggy.

3. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

Longtime love of original D&D, and therefore the love of the dedication to the original T1-T4 module. Like the turn-based combat system. I enjoy the character creation and role-playing quests of the game.

I think the name/brand ToEE was what originally drew me to buying the game back in the day. But now, having played the game, especially seeing how much more has been done with the mods, I think new modules created with the same engine would be equally enjoyable given the right balance of quests/location/combat.

4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

The fact that ToEE is almost 7 years old does not affect the charm of rolling up a party and taking on the strategic and tactical challenges this game so excellently represents. Even if you have seen all the levels and combat before, taking a new group through keeps it fresh. Also, the support of the community for this game is admirable. Thank you Co8! Keep the innovations and bugfixes coming, and we'll keep playing. :) I voted "all of the Above".

Thanks GAEAR for the timeline correction there, i fixed it in my post. LOL Thought it came out around the time Icewind Dale II came out...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The game's actually not yet even 7 years old, btw. :)

6. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Combat.

The rest is nice, and combat only would not be as much fun, but I never understood fans of certain games who claim they favor the story. Any decent dungeon will have a story behind it, and is best if it fits into an overall world (whether Greyhawk, your version thereof, or whatever). But story is one shot, then repeats. ToEE has a goal (fight/ banish or join Zuggtmoy) with several paths to that goal; if you pick the wrong dialog choice or miss the only person with Advice A or Object B, you aren't wasting your time.

It is the best D&D computer game still. Meleny, Otis, Ophelia, and Kelno give it spice, but the meat-and-potatoes foundation is the combat system and character progression without the rest would be useless.

7. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Back to 1985. Man, 25 years ago. Where does the time go?!

Attached Files:

8. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

T1 was the first module I ever played and DMed. It was black/white for 3ring binder. I've still got the green cover version circa 1981. Best there ever was.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thanks Necro.

Seeing that picture is truly a treat. :Being_a_s

10. feltex

feltex Member

Indeed. Where does the time go? Can't believe it was 30 years ago that I was making weekly trips to the local hobby store in hope that "T2" had been released.

Our Host!