What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, May 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
?

What type of new content would you like to see?

1. Low Level (1-4)

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Middle Levels (5-9)

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. High Levels (10-14)

12 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Insanly Hard Content (15+)

31 vote(s)
    40.8%
  5. Small Additions: Such as Lareth running into the barracks to join the fight, ect.

20 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I just realized something I forgot to note about repeated camping in the ogre/bugbear den. Just because you exploit enough to get millions of creatures in the room without combat immediately starting, you only get experience from the first enemy/enemies that appeared. You get no experience from anything that appears after that. It makes me very sad inside.:goth:

2. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

yet it makes the fights harder with more 'balance' xp wise!

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The BEFORE picture, labeled "Whoops!", is funnier. I saved and reloaded a thousand times, because of all the ctd's, to get to the 'after' picture.

4. GuardianAngel82

But the loot is good!

5. Necroticpus

I just thought of something that would be kinda cool. How about a druid lich. When you enter his area, the whole place is covered with an entangle spell. And a druid lich is very uncommon to boot. I bet there could be some serious things it could do to cause the whole party to panic. That, and there's no druid or lich enemies around.

Or a demi-lich! It casts All Die on the party after 3 rounds if you don't make it descend back into the sand!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  6. chano

chano Established Member

When getting the reward for rescuing Prince Thrommel you can sometimes choose to pick a fight with the knight and his henchmen.
    I sometimes do this when playing a non good party.
    If you choose to kill one of Thrommels knights, (might even be an old friend of his) i believe he might want to have a word with you.
    He would most likely bring a few more knights with him to ensure his safety.

7. Necroticpus

I would like to see the 2011_07_09_co8_6.0 _modpack_final.RAR realeased tomorrow on MODDB. :evilgrin:

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have to totally disagree with the thought of removing crafting.

Crafting allows me to build characters that specialize in the kind of weapons that you can't find anything better than a MW version of.

9. UniversalWolf

UniversalWolf agricola

One word:

Underhommlet.

10. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

I totally agree.

I never craft, and have used just MW versions of some weapons from the point ya can buy'en the end of game. Of coures, there are a big range of magic weapons in the game, for all classes - daggers and short swords for the rogues, morningstars for the clerics, swords for the rangers, fighters and paladins, and even some strange weapons like the Torned Chains of Love. But there arent a single cimitar, glaive crossbow.
    Let the craft quiet.
    Or we will have problems with "adding new magic things" threads all the time.

11. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

I voted on small, but what I really would want is NPC-related quest...Not quest to get them into your party, but quests you get once they get into your party.

12. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

I would like to know what those guys in the cheese shop are really making.

13. GuardianAngel82

I've always been suspicious, too.

14. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

There was a module for dnd which involved a cheese shop which was attracting wererats.

15. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I would most like to see new "Insanly Hard Content (15+)", and (to a lesser extent) "Small Additions: Such as Lareth running into the barracks to join the fight, etc.".

I think that getting rid of item crafting in the game would be just about the worst thing that one could do to this game! It's one of the things that makes this the best Dungeons & Dragons computer game EVER made! Those players who don't want item crafting in the game can choose not to take any of the item crafting feats (assuming that they are disciplined enough to be able to). You could think of it as role-playing. I'm not sure what parts of Troika's computer game the Co8 modders are able to modify, but if you are hell-bent on changing item crafting, then is it possible to change the game so that item crafting costs 50% more gold and XP than the current amounts, and that only level 10 characters are able to change masterwork items into +1 items, and that only level 15 characters are able to convert +1 items into +2 items, and that only level 20 characters are able to convert +2 items into +3 items as well as enchant magical items with more magical properties (such as Holy, Flaming, etc.). Alternatively, you could make the level requirements 5, 10, and 15 if you thought that the other suggested level requirements are too extreme.
    I believe that magical items are supposed to be rare. In this game, fifth level characters are currently able to flood the marketplaces in Hommlet and Nulb with many +1 items simply by turning masterwork items into +1 items and then selling them. In my humble opinion, preventing low-level characters from being able to do this would make the game more realistic.

I actually think that the game is pretty well-balanced as it is. Even with all of the item crafting that my wizard & cleric have been doing so far, I still found Hickory Branch extremely challenging! (admittedly, it was my first time playing this computer game - I'm not kidding either!). Don't forget that there is a trade-off with item crafting - the characters that perform item crafting lose significant amounts of XP, which causes those characters to lag behind in experience levels - so item crafting does balance the game out to some degree at least.

On behalf of the players, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the modders who have contributed to the Circle of Eight Modpack over the years, who have turned one of the buggiest computer games ever released into the best Dungeons & Dragons computer game EVER, and the Circle of Eight modders who continue to develop and expand the game.

If I'm able to figure out how to use the ToEE World Builder properly, then I will create new content after I've finished playing the game.

I'm really looking forward to the Verbobonc mod being added to the upcoming version 5.9 NC (especially the arena!).

So far, my wishlist for changes that I would like to see in the game would be:

1. In this game, reach weapons are WAY too powerful because they can be used against targets only 5 feet away. I wish that the Glaive, Guisarme, Ranseur, and Longspear could not target opponents 5 feet away, and that those weapons did not threaten the area up to 5 feet away from the reach weapon's wielder (as they are supposed to in the role-playing game). The Spiked Chain functions the way that it is supposed to.

2. Currently, no-one sells a Masterwork Longspear anywhere in the game. I wish that either Brother Smyth, Otis, or Ah Fong also sold a Masterwork Lonspear.

3. Some NPCs will still let you take their awesome items away from them. Furnok and Serena will let you take their rings of invisibility away from them. I wish that all of the NPCs in the game won't let you take any of their magical items (that they start the game with) away from them (while they are still alive).

4. In this computer game, Trolls can be killed just by doing enough subdual ( or non-lethal) damage to them to bring their temporary (i.e. blue-coloured) HPs to below 0 HPs, and then performing a Coup de Grace on them with any weapon. The Monster Manual of the role-playing game states that "the Coup de Grace attack cannot be of any type that automatically converts to subdual damage." This means that only an attacker delivering fire or acid damage should be able to perform a Coup de Grace on a Troll.

5. Currently, the Masterwork Bolo that Ah Fong sells is WAY too powerful! It makes all of the other one-handed weapons in the game redundant because it uses the shortsword skill, has a threat range of 19-20, and has a x3 critical multiplier! I wish that the Masterwork Bolo was either:
    a. removed from Ah Fong's list of items for sale, or that it was;
    b. modified by having one or more of its properties made worse.

6. A friend exploits the game by having his "tank" fighter set his Combat Expertise to 5 and keep selecting Total Defence each round while standing at maximum sight range of enemy archers/crossbowmen and then just waiting until the enemy archers/crossbowmen use up all of their 20 arrows/bolts. Then his party moves in to kill the defenceless enemy archers/crossbowmen. I wish that all enemy archers/crossbowmen had 50 arrows/bolts as well as a melee weapon, so that:
    a. the enemy archers/crossbowmen could defend themselves if forced to fight in melee;
    b. it would make it more likely to deter players from using this game exploit because it would be more tedious for players to perform it, and the enemy archers/crossbowmen would be more likely to score a critical hit against the player's "tank" before they ran out of ammo.
    I think that it would also be more realistic for archers/crossbowmen to carry more than 20 arrows/bolts as this seems to be a very low number to use for an entire battle in real-Earth history. Considering that arrows/bolts are only worth a few copper each, this wouldn't affect how quickly the player accumulates money by that much.
    I'm pretty sure that most of the archers/crossbowmen in the Moathouse don't have melee weapons.

7. I wish that the Mirror Image spell worked properly. Currently, if you cast Magic Missile at a mirror imaged spellcaster, all of the magic missiles hit the enemy spellcaster, ignoring the mirror images.

8. Ah Fong is currently completely silent. I wish that Ah Fong spoke all of his dialog options (i.e. that he had voice samples for all of his dialog options). Ah Fong is, after all, one of the more important NPCs in the game - he's one of the big three vendors (well, at least until the Verbobonc mod is added to the modpack).

9. The game seems to favour Chaotic Good characters because the Fragarach and Scather bastard swords (the 2 most powerful weapons in the game) are most powerful when wielded by Chaotic Good characters. I wish that either:
    a. those 2 artifacts were removed from the game because they are WAY too powerful, or that;
    b. powerful weapons for each of the other character alignments were introduced into the game. I haven't explored any of the Temple of Elemental Evil or finished clearing the Moathouse respawn yet, so I don't know if there are any powerful weapons designed specifically for other character alignments in the game yet.

10. The combat mechanics of the game seem to favour the player having True Neutral characters. Lawful, Chaotic, Good, and Evil-aligned characters have spells that are more harmful to and effective against them, such as debuffing spells used against the player's characters, or enchanments on weapons that do more damage to certain aligned characters. I wish that either:
    a. all of these debuffing spells and enchantments on weapons were removed from the game, or that;
    b. there were also debuffing spells and enchantments on weapons that specifically targeted neutrally-aligned characters.

The Moathouse:
    ------------------

11. When the party battles the main group of humans on the bottom level of the Moathouse, I wish that Lareth would open the door to his room & join the battle. This would make that part of the game MUCH more realistic. Maybe Lareth could then retreat to his room and lock his door and heal himself and cast buff spells on himself if the battle isn't fairing well for his side. Then maybe he could summon some allies as soon as the player opened his door.

Hickory Branch:
    ------------------

12. The Dire Bear is stuck in the pit. I killed it easily just by firing arrows and bolts at it at my leisure, without any risk of harm to any of my party's characters. I also found the Owlbear too easy to kill when it was all by itself. Could you please reposition the Dire Bear adjacent to where the Owlbear is so that the resultant combat would be more interesting and a lot more challenging?

13. I wish that the Fiendish Minotaur would always cast or use his spell-like ability Stoneskin on himself every time that the player gets into combat with the Minotaur. Otherwise, wise players are just going to keep fleeing from the Minotaur, waiting 2 hours until his Stoneskin spell wears off, and then go back and kill the Minotaur with relative ease.

14. Most of the orc archers in Hickory Branch go into a barbarian rage. This seems illogical because, although the archers gain more HPs while raging, their AC gets worse by 2. If the battle was to last long enough, when the barbarian rage ends, the orc archers would have a penalty of 2 to their Dexterity for quite a few rounds, which is bad for an archer. In real-Earth history, archers did not rage on the battlefield. Indeed, an archer needs to remain composed so that they can carefully aim at their target before firing. I'd prefer it if the orc archers did not barbarian rage.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
Our Host!