Item usage

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by J'allan UlDragos, May 21, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Recently I have tried the console to test out some items, but I noticed a few of them do not actually behave as described. I am wondering if this is a limitation of the engine, if they are changed, modified from original purpose, left in the code from previous versions as a work in progress, or were produced by Co8... maybe they are works in progress?

Helm of Brilliance - very nifty helm. Possibly very overpowered for this game, if the 3 abilities listed were actually granted - Flamestrike, Consecrate and Detect Undead as the spell, no charges or limitations on uses seem to be imposed. However, only Detect Undead functions from the menu as a selectable ability.

I granted this to my Paladin Jaana FlameHair to test out it's use. Looks really cool too on the character. Detect Undead is still great... and naturally goes with the character and supplements the Paladins ability to Detect Evil as the spell. Were the other functions of this helm removed, or were they not working right, or were they just too overpowered? anybody in Co8 know?

Ideally, i wanted to equip my paladin with the Bracers of Dawn, an enchanted flaming Holy Ransuer, this Helm of Brilliance, and enchanted Full Plate, with the gilded Plate boots and gauntlets. Add the Purple Cloak and she looks just like the custom portrait! Awesome.

Another item i saw in the item code i tried out was the ring of Mammal control. this did not seem to work as described either. I gave it to my ranger, and also tried it on my druid. The command never showed up in the item list. Does this just give a boost to the casting of the spell? Perhaps this was never implemented fully either?

Last item that i actually gained in game i have a question about - the Dust of Disappearance. Very powerful item - however, unlike the Dust of Appearance which functions multiple times, it seems the Dust of Disappearance is a one use item. I rested, and the use did not come back. The item does not get consumed by the use. Is this a bug? As intended? Is there a longer period before the use comes back? Anybody know?

Thanks!

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Per the dust of disappearance, Ranos and Gremag use this to get away from you if you attack them. So it is in the game. You can loot it from them if you kill them before they escape.

3. J'allan UlDragos

Yes, thanks Ranth, that's the item i had won from that encounter. My bard character (J'allan UlDragos) is the one who often holds onto these mystic items. I tried using it, but found that it only offered one use of Greater Invisibility, as the spell (you disappear but can execute actions without losing the ability) and it remained until the character rested, at which point the item also still remained, and was not consumed, but seemed not to be available to use again...

Is that the intended purpose? 1 use? i wondered if it had charges, or a use per day, but it is not mentioned in the description.

Thanks!

4. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

IIRC Dust of Disappearance can be used once, and allows greater invisibility for 2d4 rounds.

5. J'allan UlDragos

Cool! thanks for the clarification ShadowDeth

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Try giving the Helm of Brilliance to a cleric. I vaguely remember the modders talking about this item at one point, and seem to recall that the powers it grants only work if the character has access to that spell. Since Flamestrike and Consecrate are both cleric spells, I suspect you may have more luck that way.

7. J'allan UlDragos

Yeah, it seems that this awesome item only confers the ability to cast all three spells if the spells are also in the casting repertoire of said character... a level 9 cleric is required to have access to all 3 spells. a level 20 (!) paladin has access still only to 1. :(

Thanks for pointing that out.

8. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

That's exceptionally weak. That can't be RAW, is it? No way in hell can that be RAW. I don't see how Troika could put that kind of off the wall goofy restriction on that item for play balance. They must have done a few grams of horse that day.

9. erkper

Troika didn't create the Helm of Brilliance, a Co8 modder did - Allyx, IIRC. I think he said that was the only way he could get it to work at all, and I suspect the "non-RAW" feel of those restrictions may be part of the reason you don't see that item in the game unless you console it in.

Lareth would rock with it, though...

10. Necroticpus

Oh, all becomes clear.

You can craft Helms Of Brilliance, though. Don't have to console it if you merely craft it as opposed to outright cheat. ;)

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  11. erkper

Craft? Ah, I was unaware it could be crafted. But yes, you are correct it is not RAW, but without the source code there is only so much the modders can do...

12. Necroticpus

Someone needs to rebuild ToEE just like Linux source so it's all open source and anyone could do anything they wanted with it.

I bet Ted could do it! :pelvicthr

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Any item in protos can be modified with ProtoEd and py files with Notepad. It may or may not work and a lot of the items are console only and possibly craftable. The item may not be RAW or fully impemented. They are in protos for testing or possible future use.

Our Host!