Circle of Eight Modpack 5.8.x/5.8.xNC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Apr 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argikt

argikt Member

2. Ola

Ola Member

More things I have noticed:

After the first battle with Falrinth I could no longer open chests in the game. When I clicked on them it seemed like the action was cancelled. When I reloaded a previous save and threatened him to give up the orb, this did not happen. There were also some problems moving around in his room near the secret door, this did not happen when I reloaded and did it again.

When attacked by Smigmal and the assassins, her dialogue happens in the middle of the battle. This causes the battle to end (ends spells, summons, etc. ) and then start again. At one time I defeated Falrinth and let him live, however that triggered Smigmals dialogue and he entered combat again. I have also been able to kill her before she can call in her assassins. I guess this happens since the script is triggered if her hit points get below a certain number and if she dies before that, it is not triggered.

Some random CTD, mostly in the log and once during the final battle with Zuggtomy.

3. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, that's how TOEE handles dialogues *shrug* Been like that since vanilla (only thing changed is that now she summons assassins). The only spells that expire are those whole duration runs out (out-of battle time runs a bit quicker).

Well, yeah, that's how it is. I usually let them live on purpose to get the extra stuff. There's lots of other scripts like that in the game - Lareth, Hedrack, Scorpp, etc.

4. aehchua

aehchua Member

Having (I think) finished all the new adventure content, there are a couple of questions/comments I have:

(1) What's the vial of orc blood for?
    (2) Where do we get conversations about the amulet of undead turning? I must have at least 20 of those things now.
    (3) Some of the monsters in Welkwood Bog are overpowered for a level 1 party. The boss encounter, especially, comprises at least one CR3, and several CR2 monsters. The combined CR of that encounter is thus total party kill.
    (4) Moathouse respawn appears qualitatively different from the other two new adventures. You don't get a quest from Kent. Also, Kent states his thing once. You can't get a repeat of what he wants. In the other quests, there is a "conclusion" when you talk to the quest giver. With moathouse respawn, you're never sure whether you "finished" it.
    (5) After getting the Witch's letter, and going to the new location, the letter appears to have disappeared.
    (6) I had only a single conversation in Moathouse respawn, as compared to the other two adventures. I don't see this as bad, but it makes moathouse respawn seem qualitatively different from the rest of the new content.
    (7) I would suggest putting the word "moathouse" inside Kent's conversation. The reference to "castle" is a bit vague, especially when combined with the word "beyond." I only knew what Kent was referring to, because of conversations on this forum.
    (8) I enjoyed some of the meta-game humor in moathouse respawn (e.g., how come I can't get a prestige class). I wish there was a bit more of that. See 6. In many ways that kind of thing reminded me of the now excised Desperate Housewives.
    (9) When I create epic magic weapons (plus value of magic weapon >7), I get rewarded with money and experience instead of having it taken from me.
    (10) Possibly related to (7). At high levels, after resting at the Homlett inn, I am stuck in Homlett, unable to move. This problem can be fixed by leaving Homlett and coming back.
    (11) Is there now a SECOND place to get Swamp Lotus from?
    (12) My description of Acid Fog says "Acid Fog in [something].mes"
    (13) I picked up a fine chain mail somewhere. This cannot be sold.
    (14) I assume Verbobonc will fix this. There is a lack of opportunity to obtain scrolls of arcane spells above 5th or 6th level.
    (15) For high wisdom paladins, 3rd and 4th level spell slots open up before the spells are made available.
    (16) I like the "let my party leader answer this" feature. It would be nice to have more of those (e.g., in the Hedrack conversation).
    (17) It would be nice to be able to trigger the assassin quest in some other way than to sell Lareth's equipment to Gremag and that other fellow. If you betray them in the Burne quest, they refuse to trade with you, making it impossible to trigger that event. This is despite your gaining a reputation for killing Lareth.
    (18) Is Iolo's Joy supposed to be a reference to Desperate Housewives?

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll answer a few of these.

(2) They serve no real purpose (except to explain why some undead are harder to turn than others) and due to a lack of due diligence by me, turn up far more often than they should. This will be fixed.
    (5) Yes. You go once only.
    (6) Yes.
    (8) Yes.
    (9) Known bug, I think. Don't exploit it please.
    (10) Unrelated to (7), I think. Please check the 'Jerkstop bug' thread.
    (11) No, its either / or.
    (12) Sorry, WIP.
    (18) Not really, its more a reference to the Ultimas. But its sorta connected, of course. More a case of not losing that item.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

1. It used to be for Bing; not anymore.
    3. Difficulty in ToEE will always vary from one player to the next, and depends mainly, imo, on your tactical proficiency and the RNG. Some players have said that the WB boss encounter is too easy. If you have trouble, it's best to get help (Elmo, etc.) or wait til you're higher level.
    4. The expansions are not really intended to all be alike in this fashion. You won't get quests for 'go to Verbobonc' or 'complete WotGS' in future either. Nevets and Renton only give their relevant speeches once as well. As to a conclusion, I don't suppose Kent would really be an authority on that.
    7. Kent's voiced audio doesn't contain the word "Moathouse," so he can't say Moathouse unfortunately. You're right that it probably should be mentioned though ... maybe we'll have the voice-audio free Brother Smyth say it.

7. aehchua

aehchua Member

@Gaear

(3) All I meant was that in 3.5ed D&D challenge ratings are supposed to be used to figure an encounter level, which determines how "easy" an encounter is for players. If we take the challenge ratings for the monsters in the boss encounter, that scenario is supposed to be a total party kill for 4 level 1 characters. This is especially so since its a final encounter- the party is supposed to have exhausted a certain amount of resources before this point. This isn't meant to be an opinion on whether this is good or bad- one of the earliest published 3ed adventures had an EL10 encounter for 1st level characters. Its a statement about what the encounter is by RAW.

(4) Renton and Nevets mark the map with a new place. They also leave a little unsolved quest thingie which clearly states what you're supposed to do. So, the fact they don't repeat their instructions isn't a problem. In Kent's case, there's a real possibility the player won't know what is meant without meta-game knowledge.

Basically, when I played the Renton and Nevets quest, I never desired to have either repeat their conversation. I wanted to listen to Kent's conversation again to try to figure it out. I even spent 24 hours camping outside Burne's tower (go back to Inn, rest, go East Hommlet, rinse and repeat) hoping to see a witch to give me a quest.

(7) Kent's voice over for the moathouse respawn was spliced from his existing conversations?

8. Gaear

No, there was a line recorded specifically for the Moathouse Respawn that was used for the modified Moathouse Respawn as well, doesn't say "Moathouse" at all though. Some of this stuff is purposely vague, rather than "go here and do this, then get back to me" all the time. We have 'dumbed down' the expansion hooks to some degree though, so Smyth could say "Kent was rambling about the Moathouse ..." instead as a heads-up.

9. Gaear

Here's a nice Friday diversion ...

Have a look at Sitra Achara's humorous RPG Codex "Let's Play" thread for the 5.8 new content: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36725 (page 6 and onward for the new stuff)

Sitra does love to make hay by painstakingly documenting acknowledged bugs, but by and large it's a pretty entertaining read. :grin:

10. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

It's amazing how many ripple dummies he managed to kill, lol.

11. aehchua

aehchua Member

What's the purpose of that 5 guy random encounter? Its the one with the wizard, the dwarf, the elf ranger with the dog, the cleric, and the fighter(?).

The first game I met them, I just talked to them. The second, I massacred them and got mediocre treasure. Is there a monty haul/minmax reason NOT to massacre them?

12. aehchua

aehchua Member

One other question: How do I initiate the drinking quest now? No one I talk to at the inn challenges me.

13. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The RE adventuring group has no special purpose. You won't miss out anything by taking the weapons out of their cold, dead hands.

The drinking game is initiated by Tuperello, same as ever. Tuperello stands next to Valden between two tables in the evenings - I occasionally had a hard time getting my character into position to talk to him. If you stand to the left of him and Valden, you often can't get close enough to get a response. Move your speaker to the right of the two and try again.

14. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Did something change with the control boxes on Hedrak's level? For the first time ever for me, none of the trolls gave me the password.

I was still able to bull my way through the electrical field with everyone being down to about 30% health. Had to heal up a lot for the Hedrack fight, but, it took me a couple of tries to get through the field because it deals heavy damage and stuns you repeatedly.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  15. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

No rogue in the party?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!