Fraidy Cat

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, May 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

I have one problem with Elmo, the Cowardly Lion of Hommlet. Lack of . . . . . intestinal fortitude some would say. Or guts to others. He seems to run away whenever confronted by some type of fear, be it groaning spirit or Balor. He can be standing next to the paladin, hero feasted, protected from evil, bardically inspired to courage, with a high will save, and he still runs away at the first provocation. Maybe all the beer plus the fear makes him see pink elelphants stampeding towards him or something. Any ideas for how to keep Elmo from turning tail next time???

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Is he failing his saves or is this a bug?

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

cloak of resistance +5 will work wonders in this regard.

also, there are spells (such as calm emotions) which specifically make you immune to fear.

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Your anti fear stuff don't work at all with the balor because the anti-fear stuff has to beat the fear itself on a difficulty check. The balor starts out at 20 + d20. You have to beat that number with your d20 + WIS modifier + any other spell bonuses/feats/spells/misc or any anti-fear spells have to beat the balor's DC with a d20 + caster level DC. It's all about the DC. The higher level you are, the greater the chance of overcoming the balor's mighty DC.

This is assuming that Troika went by RAW instead of modifying the rules for playability.

You don't think a 1st level paladin would be immune to fear if confronted by a balor, do you?

First he would say it, then he'd do it! :yes:

Last edited: May 12, 2010
Our Host!