Co8 New Content: Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I was told stuff about the master... when I finally reached him he was there with his leuitenants, and combat immediately started and I just killed them all... then 2 of them that weren't inside ambushed me as soon as I walked outside.
    So I seem to have missed out on the story anyways, even though I didn't kill anyone at a distance.

yea, it was a fluke... I tested it a couple of times and it hasn't happened since...

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Which two did you miss? Each one contributes information of some sort. Otherwise, :shrug:. I don't think we want to ramrod a story down everyone's throat, and there was never much of one written for HB anyway. In fact, the original krunch version had no story whatsoever. What's there now was added just to provide some explanation for what was going on there and make the experience slightly more dynamic.

Different playthroughs, different outcomes ... :)

btw, has anyone not made it to the cave in time yet?

[edit]

I was going to give the orc commander dialog too, but ... really, at some point it just becomes redundant. Eventually you are just going to fight him. So he could say "Fools! You have entered the chamber of the big dog!" etc., etc., and then fight, or you can just fight. At least the other speakers are providing some pertinent info.

I did have an idea about being taken prisoner though, which would be good reason for him to have dialog.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I didn't. After finishing off everything else on the map, I went back to headquarters and unloaded some stuff and identified stuff and replaced some stuff and learnt spells and whatnot. When I got back there was a big ass green piece of wall blocking the cave entrance. I was upset at first, until I saw that it had a green circle around it, like a friendly NPC. Then, I initiated combat with the wall and hewed it down like so much lumber. Then everything was alright again. I went in and TCB, which was excellent.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Same issue, but with Kallop.

Also, what's with nakkid women hidden in walls? I killed her and my paladin didn't fall, so I can only assume that she's an evil being brought into existence by the Circle.

Also, I met Noblig's ghost on the way back... After I killed him at the cave entrance, an invisible entity entitled Noblig showed up at the entrance to HB, where you first meet him. Can't target him normally either, gotta use radial menu and the combat bar portraits.

Anyhow, just cleared the quest, loved the cave fight, although it could be a bit tougher. Still, a great way to bring random tough crits from previous versions into one place. Still, nothing a good ol' Deep Slumber or two couldn't solve. Maybe I ventured into HB at too high a level.

The minotaur is as tough as ever, although sometimes I miss the even more evil one, from HB1.0... That one would let himself be hit by a paralyzing touch attack to be eliminated in the first round of combat...

But anyhow, good job on the addon! I'ma go identify mah loot NAO!

EDIT: Silver Sword of Chaos long description says it's a bastard sword, but then says proficiency: Greatsword. Which one is it?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I had that issue too but was unable to target him. Gaear tried to replicate and was unable to.

6. Gaear

Okay, I've bulletproofed the runoffs and the dialog initiatives on the speaking NPCs at HB. Thanks for the feedback, people.

(I've also gotten rid of the naked lady ripples ... will have to think of something else for that.)

7. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Funny thing just happened. I am at the cave entrance in HB and the wall is up on the cave with the monsters outside of it. I engage the monsters, move my wizard to the right, and lightning bolt a murderer, the ogre, and the wall. None of them die, but the next round the ogre and the murderer begin attacking the wall for me. I finished off the rest of the enemies and cycled through about 10 rounds and until they killed it for me. Then they began to attack and I finished them off.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, in Moathouse Respawn gnoll skeletons attack the rat, so I'm not that surprised :/ Handy, though.

9. Gaear

I guess the blockage will have to join the HB faction, lol.

10. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

In time for what?

That is fine... I am there to slay them after all :p

11. Gaear

In time to get in without obstructions. You'll find the cave fight to be a bit different in that case. (Basically, if you leave HB before you meet the commander in the cave during your first visit, they have the time to prepare their defenses more suitably.)

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Ooh, does that spell a more difficult fight? I should try this next time!

13. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Like the Welkwood Bog, this addition is truly amazing.

I love what the CO8 has done with the old Branch quest. I remember the last time I played it years ago, it was basically just a hack and slash experience grinder.

The cowardly, incompetent goblin and all the sub commanders were great. :)

14. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

It still is ;) At heart, anyway... (lol)

I've liked HB ever since 2.0, because of the better map textures and reasonable pathfinding. If only Minotaur was as tough as in 1.0...

BTW, aren't Worgs animals? Druid's animal-related spells fizzzle on them...

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Magical beasts, perhaps? Or whatever they are called in 3.5?

Our Host!