Suggested Plot Twists

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, May 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I decided to start a new thread, and perhaps others can offer additions to it, to suggest possible plot twists. I must admit to not reading thru the T1-4 book, not wanting to spoil my ongoing game, to see if these are in it. I know as of pre-Nulb these plot twist suggestions are not in the game.
    1. I already suggested a plot twist to Burne's tower in this thread.
    2. Since part of the present game mechanics include two instances of Terjon wanting the party to assist in conversions of villagers, why not take it further and have Terjon attempt to convert the party's cleric? OR at say 10th or 11th level have your cleric ask Terjon to convert. This fails but during the theological discussion the only option presented is for your cleric to convert. Your cleric has been excessivley "holy" in his activities, blah, blah, blah.
      Do a diplomacy check and if successful Terjon sends you on a quest of some sort to get some holy relic only usable by Terjon or the Viscount.
      OR do a quest for some unholy item to keep it away from the forces of the temple. Have some temple minions looking for the same item. Once the quest is finished have some roll made (make it hard but not too hard) and if successful the conversoin takes place. Your God is really miffed at you! Your cleric from here onward gets a bonus to a skill or an extra spell or something. This would be really interesting if your main PC is a cleric him or herself. If not succesful the cleric takes a wisdom hit and perhaps something else bad happens to him.
    I know it makes work for our so generous modders, but it could extend the "newness" and life and interest in the game. I do not know how it might upset the game balance so this concept may be one not possible.

There may be other plot twists to add to this list. Do you have any others?

2. EdCon

EdCon Member

Regarding your cleric converting to another faith, I feel that should NOT be mandatory or forced on the player (via skill check or any other means). Just because Terjon wants converts doesn't mean the player should be forced to convert.

Now it would be cool to have interesting quests having to do with Terjon and/or Jaroo with religious themes.

-EdCon

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I said "have Terjon attempt to convert the party's cleric." The cleric in question could always have the option to refuse. The modder could then handle the possibility of the proposed quest in any manner he or she then chooses.

4. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    What about having your cleric start his or her temple in Hommlet ? The odds of getting any cleric to convert is practically zero unless the new deity gets personally involved. Remember, these are the folks who have spent years "drinking the extra-strength KoolAid" (not to be confused with the weaker stuff they give the lay members). I almost always use a Cleric of Heironeous (War and Good Domains), and often wonder what said cleric would do after the temple was cleared out. I can just imagine him or her preaching to the folks of Hommlet "By the grace of Heironeous and the strength of his sword arm, the Temple of Elemental Evil is no more. What has St. Cuthbert done for you lately ??"
    The Royal Canadian

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

For banishing a demon god and messing Iuz's action up, Vecna would take an interest. Probably might even help the party a little considering what their objectives are. Maybe if you were to actually kill Iuz, he might give you a spell to learn to or perhaps a magic item. Maybe borrow you the sword of Kas. And not kill you.

But, if you were able to kill a god's body, he might see you as a threat. If you've read the vecna modules, you'll know that vecna is not someone to toy with. He does godly things without actually being a god and fights with Iuz as if he were a peer.

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Vecna's male? :yikes: I always assumed Vecna's a goddess, from that name...

7. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

He's a male. There's lots of great backround information in all those modules and several articles in Dragn magazine and numerous other Greyhawk products.

One of my favorite ones starts out where the players each control one of the circle of eight. A wight finds one of Vecna's body parts, sees the circle of eight, casts time stop in the middle of them, casts haste on himself and cuts all their throats. I think it might be "Vecna Lives!"

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  8. EdCon

EdCon Member

Spider: The passage I was referring to was this one:

"This fails but during the theological discussion the only option presented is for your cleric to convert. Your cleric has been excessivley "holy" in his activities, blah, blah, blah."

For me, any time you take a character and force them, hamhanded, to make major changes to who they are, it irritates. I would have no problem if you replaced "the only option" with "one of a series of options".

Further, assuming that the player character was excessively holy is, quite frankly, silly. ToEE lets players play evil characters, and provides evil paths to victory. It also allows for neutral, balance centered, or free agent mercenary approaches.

Declaring someone's actions to be X without any check or justification is just as bad as forcing major changes for no reason. Both change a game with choices into an endless series of clicking "next" in conversation. It is far better to be able to choose a path.

All that said, I think it would be great if you or other modders came up with ways to add options to the game. The cool thing about new content, IMO, is that it allows you to explore a lot more of the world of ToEE, and makes it more multi-path and open ended.

So by all means, go for it-explore this. But keep in mind that if you assume or force anything, some players will react negatively.

Best Wishes,
    EdCon

9. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I have a graphic novel featuring Vecna, all about how he rose to power as the ultimate necromancer.

10. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I worded that incorrectly and thanks for pointing it out. It should have read more along the lines of the PC being given the option throughout the discussion.

And please, do not place me in the august body of modders. I could not program myself out of a fight with a goblin even if it meant my life. My graphical skills are limited to only what I can in manipulating the graphics of the game. Not that I am not always interested in learning new things, and I am mudding thru some of the online tutorials, but it shall be a long process.

Our Host!