How touck attack spells work?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fuzzball, Apr 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. fuzzball

fuzzball Member

I am trying to use spells like Ghoul Touch or Disease but I don't know how they work. For instance if I cast Ghoul Touch with my sorceress I get a cool looking purple cloud that comes from her but I don't know how that affects my enemies. In the manual it says that you must make a succesfull touch attack but I don't know how to do since when I attack I attack with the sling in my hands instead of doing an actual attack. And one last question: I can do touch attacks while I have that purple cloud around my sorceress. It's strange but it doesn't seem to go away, even if I rest for days. Is this a bug?

later edit: I have another question related to how spells like "Heat armor" or "Chill armor" work. How exactly do they work? I am casting them on enemies and they appear to have no effect whatsoever on them. They don't take damage.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

a touch attack spell means you need to:
    1. in "touch" range of an enemy (aka, the same range as when wielding any weapon without reach)
    2. Require that you hit a special AC called touch AC, touch AC is their AC minus armor and natural armor and shields.
    They get deflection bonuses (this is why a ring of protection costs twice as much per plus than other AC sources - also it creates a "force field" around you that deflects incoming attacks btw), and they still get their dodge (dexterity bonus) and size bonus/penalty.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm
    The reasoning is simple... you need only touch them to deliver the spell (hence touch attack)... while a weapon such as a sword needs to hit them AND penetrate armor. If a sword attack misses your touch AC then it missed you completely, if it is over your touch AC and under your total AC it means it hit you, but bounced off your armor harmlessly :p

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  3. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

I believe you have to go into the radial menu and select " discharge touch attack". Then it will trigger on your next successful touch attack.

Our Host!