Merchant inventories full

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gregorovitch, Apr 8, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gregorovitch

Gregorovitch Member

sorry if this is already answered but I cant seem to find a search string to find it....

I find the merchants inventories are getting full saying "There's no room left for that item.." or some such. So I can't sell stuff. What does one do about this?

2. argikt

argikt Member

I had same problem with the brother smither in hommet, but only with this merchant, simply I move to other one... is your issue with all merchants?

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Scroll down to the blank areas and you should be able to move stuff in.

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There is a maximum capacity. I seem to hit Brother Smith's around when I am finishing the Moathouse. You have to wait for the merchant's inventory to respawn.

5. Gregorovitch

Gregorovitch Member

cheers - that worked like a charm.

Well, "charm" relative in the context of some of the bizarre UI decisions made by the devs of this game - I mean the location art work, the combat system, party pathfinding algorithms, line of sight implementation etc beat Baldur's Gate hands down. So how come thay made such a mess of of something as basic as inventory management and especially spell management if they could do that?

I believe the people responsible for this game originally built Fallout - I don't recall that having half-baked inventory management. Perhaps they just ran out of money and shipped before thay could finish it properly. Baldur's Gate preceded this, so they must have understood the value of a quick item speed bars etc. Well, given they didn't even get round to making icons for the spells, I reckon they must have run out of money.

6. Acrux

Acrux Member

Inventory management in Fallout is awful. In my opinion, it's the weakest part of the series overall. Even with it's inventory problems, TOEE handles that much better.

That said, at the moment I can't think of any game that has an inventory management UI I really like.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Dungeon Siege?

8. Gregorovitch

Gregorovitch Member

To be honest it's a long time since I played the oroginal Fallout games so I can't really remember.

Of games I've replayed recently Gothic II is the most similar inventory UI to this, (i.e. really crumby) except u just have to left click to selll something in a shop or right click to sell one off a stack. At least Gothic has unlimited inventory with no weight penalties, which are a pain.

I replayed Morrowind last year and it works ok IMO, but it has this thing of preventing you from running when loaded with loot. I know it's "realistic" but it gets really tedious crawling between dungeon and shop over and over.

I also replayed BG2 last year with the tactics and ease of use mods plus a few others, and I reckon that's about the best. You get limited inventory slots, but you get plenty of scroll cases, bags of holding, gem bags and so on to organize everything and shop transactions are striaght forward to do.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think Screeg is going the Dungeon Siege style for Cyclopean, inasmuch as items have space as well as weight to take into consideration (well, thats how Lazarus played out, I never really got into DS Vanilla).

ToEE's is not the best, thats true. It has its good points, like stolen items and different vendors for different types of items.

10. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

the current implementation of brother smyth will actually "clear" his inventory and replace it with a new set of items every few in game days (and I think you have to leave town and come back as well).

Drag items you wish to sell into the empty slots at the bottom, they will all be cleared out later.

This is not the case with all merchants, many will not sort items and will not clear items and will not get new inventory.
    this is how all merchants worked in vanilla, some have been improved, most have not. Brother Smyth is currently the most "advanced" merchant script wise and its all custom (he sucked pretty bad in vanilla).

As for how bad aspects of the game were botched... the game was simply released half a year too early due to budget issues... they just shipped out an incomplete beta and called it a game. Atari (the publisher) is to blame.
    This is why co8 exists... to fix and finish and polish this unfinished gem of a game. It was done amazingly well, it was just never finished.

11. Gregorovitch

Gregorovitch Member

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  12. taltamir

btw... if I remember correctly, there didn't use to be an issue with "inventory full" while still having empty slots with brother smyth until he was upgraded... of course, it is a small price to pay for the utterly superior shop he now has... but unimproved shops will allow you to just pile on items until EVERY slot has been filled before they say inventory full (of course, then the shop becomes useless since they never clear their inventory)

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

He had the 'full' inventory with 'empty' slots until the inventory was respawned even in vanilla. There seemed to be a longer time before respawn at some points in the game.

14. taltamir

weird... but now that i think about it you are right... i do vaguely recall that happening in vanilla.

15. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I don't really allow Smyth or anyone the time to respawn; I use my healer(s) to heal as much as they can, rest 8 hr, repeat.

But scrolling to the bottom of the shop inventory screen has always worked for me.

Our Host!