windows 7 issues maybe?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kaine9mm, Apr 4, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

ok first of all, i hate asking for help. i prefer to fix it on my own but ive been completely stumped this time around. this is one of my first posts on a forum in my life and i'm 21 years old for crying out loud.

ive looked through the forum for hours to find fixes for my problem. ive found many possible fixes but none work for me. the game crashes to the desktop before the opening movie after the logos and it doesnt say anything, it just kicks me to the desktop.

i have:
    windows 7 64bit home premium
    amd athlon II x4 630 processor 2.8 ghz.
    nvidia geforce gt240 1gig video card
    latest drivers, even tried reverting to an older one and also to the latest beta (197.25)
    latest Co8 (5.7.2 beta)

ive been able to get into the game before on this machine but theres always problems. ive tried uninstalling/reinstalling, applying patch 1 & 2, disabling anti-aliasing, changing resolution (both in game and desktop), deleting movie files (was advised as a possibilty in a thread), running as admin, ive tried almost all the possible compatibility modes on both the launcher and the game exe. also tried using both the original cd and the no-cd crack. is there a way to set the core affinity without the program being launched first? ive tried doing it from the task manager but the program already has to be running. and of course, it doesnt save the setting. oh and ive also downloaded the rad tools although it may not work since there isnt one for windows 7 specifically.

ive seen the movies before through the game so i know i can play them on my computer. any suggestions? also on reinstalling i can usually run it once but then it starts crashing the next time i try to boot it up.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It sounds like you've done some extensive searching/testing, but just to be thorough, have you consulted these threads:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7751&highlight=video+tools - a 7 64 bit guy seems to have found a solution

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7758&highlight=video+tools - another success story

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7296&highlight=video+tools - an older solution

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4889 - the Vista thread ... 7 seems to have a lot in common with Vista when it comes to ToEE

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7132 - another helpful tip (see last post)

I guess we should really get a Windows 7 thread together.

3. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

ugh lol yeah ive tried ALL of those already. i'm going to continue playing around with settings and whatnot and of course, i'll post the solution if i find one. any further help would be greatly appreciated.

4. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

Did you enable admin access to the TOEE launcher and the game file itself?

Honestly, I had this same issue when I was re-installing TOEE again on my newer computer, windows vista about a month ago, but I forgot exactly what I did to stop the issues. I know enabling access helps.

5. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

yep enabled admin and tried various compatibility modes. heres a small update, i reinstalled everything including Co8 5.7.2 but before enabling it i ran the vanilla game and it would crash too. turning off videos seemed to help but it could also be that i ran the game windowed (so i could mess with the exe in task manager, if i alt-tab out of the fullscreen it won't let me back in though it doesnt crash). in the task manager i set priority to high and core affinity to a single core. note that chances are if you set a program to run in real-time it will mess your computer up so i advise not going above high priority.

after enabling Co8 i can't run the game windowed, it crashes almost instantly. but it seems to be working so far. ive exited and restarted successfully and started multiple games to make sure it's ok. so far, it runs great and the ingame movies play. i do have to disable the opening movies or else it crashes though. i'll post later tonight if it never crashes on me just to verify to people it's working though i have no idea what i did to make it run lol. if it starts crashing then i'll edit and attempt other possible solutions.

last but not least, i have an issue with setting the resolution to 1600 x 900. it crashes before a movie will play though i do get past the main menu. ive read the post on widescreen resolutions and there wasnt anything that specifically said 1600 x 900 would or would not work so maybe i just picked a faulty resolution (it's my desktops native resolution).

Edit:
    ok well i didnt figure it would be fixed for long and i was right. as soon as i start a new char and try to leave the shop it crashes (when it supposed to play the movie). i'm not even close to giving up on this game however and i will troubleshoot further and report back if i find something.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  6. ShadowDeth

Your post jogged my memory.

I went into the Toee root folder, and changed the display resolution to 640x480, service pack to windows xp 2, and told it to run as an admin. I remember the display resolution settings in the properties section was the only thing that actually stopped the crashing. I trial and error'd the compatibility and the run as admin and they weren't enough themselves.

You need to do it to the ToEE file, and the TFE-X file.

Picture enclosed : [​IMG]

7. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

ShadowDeth, I haven't set either to any compatibility mode and haven't had any issues

8. ShadowDeth

If you have windowx vista or 7, then I have no idea?

9. taltamir

i have windows 7 64bit. I have UAC disabled and am using an administrator account.
    I do not use any compatibility mode option and everything is working perfectly.

OP, check this thread
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7962

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

ok i don't know whats up with this game. it's glitchy as hell. it's working again atm but i didnt really do anything to make it. it's running 1024 x 768 and it's playing just fine. probably not gonna last long but who knows maybe i fixed it without knowing. awesome game, just not very stable.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well, playing with an unsupported resolution could certainly cause a crash, I would think. I'd either stick with the stock ones or use a custom one that's verified as supported in the Widescreen thread. Bummer about your native resolution though - that's really the way to play ToEE. :(

12. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

new update. another crash started happening. i went in started a new game made my characters went to the shop map, bought my stuff, and then when i tried to leave it crashed (again when trying to load the movie, which i figure is the main problem people are having). to fix this i removed the movie files from the movies folder. now it just skips the movies. not much of a solution but it gets me playing so i'll stick with it for awhile. (removing the video files was someone elses idea here on the forum, so i can't take credit for "discovering" this solution, just verifying that it worked for me)

as for the screen resolution thing i havnt tried running it in my native resolution with the movie files removed. when i tried it before it would crash at the movies but i could get into the opening menu if i disabled the opening movies so i figure it should work now. my native resolution is 1600 x 900 btw. prolly give that a shot in a little while and if it doesnt work i'll edit the post to possibly help people who are wondering.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  13. taltamir

i am playing in 1680x1050 with no problems.

did you try disabling UAC and being an admin on a fresh install? (be an admin with UAC off while installing and while running TFE-X for the first time)

there was someone in another thread whose problems were solved by disabling UAC and running the game as admin (note, you should probably use an admin user, rather then elevated only the game executable)

14. Kaine9mm

Kaine9mm Member

well i don't think uac has problems on windows 7 as it did on vista. ive never had to turn it off for any reason and ive never had a problem that wasnt fixed by something else. but just to give it a shot i tried it...and the game crashed. wtf. i turned it back on and the game ran. who knows, maybe it was just random but i think i'll stick to what works and atm the game works fine. even have it running in 1600 x 900. movies are still disabled but i just pretty much like the gameplay so it isnt a big deal.

15. taltamir

i meant you need to do a clean install of TOEE with UAC off AND with being logged in as an administrator account.

its not about running the game, if you have a half vanilla half co8 install the only practical way to fix it is to delete everything and start over from scratch.

once you have successfully gotten it to work, feel free to play as a non admin with UAC on.

Our Host!