Sick of Assassins

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Feb 2, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Flak88

Flak88 Member

What are the triggers for the assassins. I've only run into 2 encounters.

1. Traders send assassin after me after I kill Lareth and sell his equipment to them.

2. If Rannos or Gremag escape they hire some thugs to ambush me at my house in Nulb.

3. Here's where I'm confused - If Smigmal escapes, she returns with assassins? She always goes right into combat when I enter the room and I ususally kill her. Will she return with reinforcements later?

4. Are there any other potential assassin encounters in version 5.5.0?

Thanks.

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

5.5.0 is outdated. IIRC, the Smigmal+2 assassins encounter isn't there, at the very least the first time I got it was in 5.6.0, I think it was added just like the "reinforcements" for Falrinth.

There's also a rumored RE ambush if you don't complete the assassination quest in Nulb after 3 days, but I never got it myself.

3. Flak88

Flak88 Member

Thanks, that clears it up for me a bit. I did like the encounter of the assassins waiting for me in Nulb. Nasty bit of business.

4. windmillcrusadeR

windmillcrusadeR Windmillcrusader

The assassine triggered by selling Lareth's boots, is balls nasty, but easy to kill if you got two fighters, able to chase him around while he fixates on your Wizard. just have it keep backing up and have the other one or two nail him or have the wizard cast the laughter spell on him.

As far as smigal the red assassin, dang those extra assassins are nasty for a bard, a wizard and low intel cleric but not impossible.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's not exactly an assassin.
    For it to trigger, you have to pass 3 days, and enter the bar again. Skole has to be alive too, IIRC. Then travel the worldmap, and you'll get the encounter.

6. UncleBuck

UncleBuck Member

Ok, time for an update. I still don't like assassins (and never will) but they are more manageable now. Part of my problem was that I insist on running into them when my party is still fairly low level. So I created a new party and just waited until they were at 9th level or so before going after Lareth and Smigal. Thanks to whomever suggested letting those villians escape and returning to the lair later. The fight with Smigal, Falrinth, and the bugbear guards was much more interesting. But no assassin helpers for Smigal appeared during the rematch. I killed Smigal early a couple of times (via Slay Living) and then tried again and made sure Smigal lasted several rounds. Still no additional assassins. Maybe Smigal should be made to automatically call her assisstant assassins as soon as the second fight starts.

7. Flak88

Flak88 Member

Is there a time limit on the Rannos/Gremag revenge story line? Preston Welz warned me off and I didn't go in the house and didn't return to Nulb for some. Now they don't appear. Did I miss them? Will they turn up later? Thanks.

8. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

what assassins?
    i killed larath, i blackmailed then turned in the shopkeepers, I slaughtered the hostile bar at nulb... and I didn't encounter any assassins.
    (well, there was that one group with the guy who only spoke in one liners called bort and his monk friend right outside the moathouse after killing larath)...

But the OP's problems are very serious... this game is very very very VERY hard!
    you need to know quite a ton of PnP min maxing fu and then apply this to ToEE (after investigating the differences between the two)...
    utilize arcane magic to its fullest (that means a wizard casting haste, web, glitterdust, grease and enlarge person). Min max your appraise score to make money by crafting and then selling wonderous items. Use that money (and XP) to craft lots of high powered items. (you should give your main fighter a +6 STR belt at level 3 or 4; who should have a reach weapon, be enlarged, and have great cleave and most importantly, combat reflexes for those extra AoO; grease + web + reach = multiple AoO per round... causing a 20 foot radius circle of death... Killing over 10 enemies a round is totally achievable). and optimize every aspect of gameplay to slaughter your way through your enemies.

Oh, and still you need plain old luck at level 1... playing rocket tag without a rocket is a recipie for loss, and even if you can withstand 2 or 3 hits you can still lose with just a few unlucky rolls.

Goofy characters sounds cool AND fun (as a concept)... but it is the equivalent of brining a knife to a gunfight.

If you want to goof around I suggest:
    1. increase XP giveaway from 60% of PnP to 100% of PnP (note that the vanilla ToEE was reduced... if I remember right to 72%)
    2. Use the console to award your party level 3 and a few thousand XP at the begining of the game.
    3. Remember you can use the raise dead spell to bring dead characters back to life.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Nulb ambush requires at least one of the two traders in Homlett survive and escape during the fight.

10. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Hmmm, after turning them in I never visited their shop again so I never fought them, how do you initiate the fight though?

I have:
    1. blackmailed 200gp out of them for my silence about the spy.
    2. found out they were sabotaging the work orders for burne and rufus.
    3. turned them in to rufus.
    4. visited again after having reached the temple and they will trade with me and not go hostile.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

12. Flak88

Flak88 Member

Checked the FAQ. I liked the thread discussion, but didn't see anything specific to my question about me possibly screwing up the traders revenge scenario. Rannos did survive. Anybody have any thoughts?

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What's your party level? Also, as to the randomness, you might just be on the far end of random and have to come and go a lot of times before it happens.

There is no time limit to the ambush that I'm aware of.

14. Flak88

Flak88 Member

Party is currently 8th level. I'll keep trying to check in to see if I can trigger it. Thanks.

15. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

I admit, i've never seen a lot of this stuff either :) once i finish my mapping stuff i'm going to have to have another playthrough....

and im still nowhere near finishing mass effect and dragon age rarrrrr

Our Host!