Circle of Eight Modpack v5.7 Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Dec 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. mwnn

mwnn Member

I seem to still experience some nasty bugs with both Burne and Bing in Co8 v5.7.1. This is on a clean install of the game with patch 1 followed by patch 2 and v5.7.1 FULL applied.

Alignment doesn't seem to matter from the brief bit of testing I've done and the bugs seem to quite easy to replicate. Create a quick chaotic good party consisting of:
    - 1 female chaotic good Cleric - Pelor - Healing/Good - WIS 18
    - 1 male chaotic neutral Wizard - 18 INT

For the Bing problem:

Head straight for the Church, picking up the Heal scroll from the bookcase - identifying with the Wizard. Optionally pick up the quest to convert the leatherworker. Use the Healing scroll on Bing (he'll be healed properly with the dialogue window appearing) except that Jakk + Lisbeth don't acknowledge the change - hence you can't complete the quest and it's dependants. Ironically this seems to be the opposite of what happens in v5.7 :)

For the Burne problem:

Head straight to the Tower. Talk the Burne with the Wizard and pick the dialogue options in this order (I've included the line numbers that should appear):
    1. Well met sir...
    3. I seek adventure and treasure...
    3. Why are you still here in Homlett..
    1. How close is the Castle...
    1. More questions...
    3. With the moathouse clear... (prematurely marking Nulb on the map)
    2. More questions...
    2. Interesting tales to tell... (which leads to)

Burne's Puzzle quest. I don't seem to get offered this quest with other dialogue combinations.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the Burne/Moathouse/Nulb thing. At last I see where the offending line is. 241 should point to 100 (exploring Moathouse story state), not 860 (cleared Moathouse story state).

I'm looking into Bing again too, thanks.

3. Smarf

Smarf Member

Odd situation occurs when characters wear the new wizard hats/gold helmet along with a robe/cloak. The game treats it as if they're not wearing any headgear and will draw the cowl... so you'll have a character model with both the hat and the cowl merged into one.

Happened on the male human and male dwarf model. Didn't check the other combinations.

4. Joud

Joud Iuz took my orb...

The Negative Energy Protection Spell special effect won't attach to the character it is cast on.

There is a typo in the craft wondrous item list, after the robe of the archmagi (white) prereq: entry.

I cannot craft an axiomatic weapon with my cleric, although she is level 7 and can cast Order's Wrath, having access to the law domain. The option is greyed out as if she wouldn't meet prerequisites. She is not Lawful, maybe it's not a bug after all...

The Temple Escape Tunnel has a Welkwood Bog description in the loading screen.

Quicken Spell feat does not work for the Darley NPC (very annoying).

EDIT: I am still playing 5.7 should I upgrade to 5.7.1?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. Gaear

Burne/Nulb and Bing/Jakk have been fixed and will be in the next hotfix release.

Hm, yes I see. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that unless/until an art guy/modeller comes back around. At least it doesn't look horrifically bad.

This is probably true for every map that got switched around in the world map overhaul (though I didn't notice it until now). I suspect that data is hardcoded - we can change the descriptions themselves but not the assignments, as near as I can tell. The only recourse I can think of is to remove all those descriptions, period.

6. Gaear

The Burne story state, Bing quest chain, and wayward tempe level 3 troll bugs reported here have been fixed and the add-on pack is available in the Downloads forum.

7. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

I've come accross something new...

With the signposts, what I ussualy do in nulb, is go to the docks or the boatmans tavern or anything else... Doesn't matter... But then when I'm done, and I need to be somewhere else in Nulb, I go to the world map. I select Nulb again ( so that I can choose a new destination from the signpost. That I don't have to walk from the docks to mother screng's shop. I know.... I'm lazy... :yawn: Time is money!!!)

Right before I'm back on the Nulb map, I see a screen with the game's credits. I don't think that's suppose to happen...

EDIT: Problem solved. I did the same things and it worked just fine. Must of been the flu or something like that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    The Greater Weapon Focus / Greater Weapon Specialization bug is STILL in effect as of v 5.7.2 . I was just leveling up my fighter (to 8th Level) and it shows "Greater Weapon Specialization" as a feat he can take. The feat description does show that it is actually "Greater Weapon Focus".
    The Royal Canadian
    P.S. : This is not from the "Hotfix". I downloaded the whole enchilada (I couldn't find where I had saved 5.7 on my system).

9. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    I'm back with a few interesting ones. I should point out that I am running 5.7.2 on a Toshiba Laptop running Windows Vista, and I am playing in "Windowed Mode" if that makes any difference (I selected Windowed Mode from the Front End Options Menu). My bugs are as follows:
    1.) When traveling with Paida in the party (5 PCs, Elmo, Meleny and Paida) whenever I have a random encounter, the monsters just stand there. I can do whatever I want. The first time I noticed this it was with Hobgoblins. I had to actually use "Full Attack" from the radial menu to attack one, which I killed with one blow. The rest just stood there. When I clicked on the other Hobgoblins they all showed some generic dialogue (something like "may I help you?"). I tested this three other times and got the same results every time. I can even open the world map and move to a new location.
    2.) I am occasionally getting the "Prepare for Combat" stance after exiting the Inn. I only get it at the Inn, nowhere else. I have also had the "blue circle fadeout" bug after exiting the Inn. Going back into the Inn and coming back out clears it up.
    The Royal Canadian

10. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Evil Party/NPC Weirdness:

Co8 5.7.0 running on Windows XP

1. Started with 2-character CE party. Picked up Zert and did some things, including clearing out Deklo Grove spiders. Completed the quest and got XP, but noticed that no quests other than CE opener was showing up in log. If you talk to someone, you get the yellow blinking log book like you received the quest. For the woodcutter, you could report success and get XP (repeatedly). I added a third PC. Same situation. Booted Zert out of the party. Problem solved. (added Zert back and problem stayed away).

2. Now 3-character CE party w/ Zert, talked to Turuko, and he said he and Kobort would join, but only Turuko joined. Dialog with Kobort indicated he thought we was in party, but wasn't. (Later, Turuko died in battle at MH.)

11. Stitched

Stitched Member

Had a bug where, in a previous save, I exposed the spy in the labour camp making him run off (intimidation).

Reloading that old save and heading to the labour camp, Jayfee is no longer there.

====

It's now almost impossible to convince the Miller to allow Erliter to convert to St. Cuthbert (+7 Diplomacy, +5 Intimidation, +5 Bluff) forcing the quest to make Erliter a beggar. By not succeeding, it stops a lot of quest threads (Cupid's Arrow, Carpenter's Dilemna, Another Soul for Cuthbert)

====

Sanctuary spell allows enemies to attack (according to the manual "Opponents cannot attack you and you cannot attack back").

12. Fernando

Fernando Established Member

Hey, I'm back here, once again. Been in the shadows for some weeks because, let's face it, I hate all the mental work that takes for me to write in english, being an spanish speaker and knowing that my mistakes-per-paragraph rate is way higher than what my pride can handle.

Anyhow, as always I'm reading and appreciating this forum and the superb work you guys put in everything that's made here. And that's why I'm putting a bag in my face and stepping out: to say this, aaand for something I've noticed in my oh-so-enjoyable 5.7.2 run: my Black Jay's dead sheep quest is broken. I believe that this could be because of a lousy install (I've been geting that "credits" bug that's been mentioned before, that when I used my worldmap for travel in Hommlet, I've had to see a few seconds of some weird Troika's credit list, and then my party showed up where it should as if nothing had happen; still, this got fixed from one day to another, without anything done to it... I could give more details, if Gaear or someone believe's this to be important, but surely is some weird installation bug, I believe).

On to Black Jays: when I ask the badgers (the second time I speak with them) if they've noticed something suspicious, I get some three or four "blank" answers; I mean, I only get the numbers "1.", "2.", "3." and "4." for each of the options. If I click them, one of them gives me the "ask for directions" dialog (the badger seems to understand that I wanted to ask him where's the Inn, where's the Church, and so on), and the other options just do nothing. If it's needed, I could try to reproduce this, and get some screenshots, in any case. BUT, I tend to think that this is because I've installed something wrong.

One last (and really minor) thing: in Ah Fong's shop, IIRC, I've noticed a tiny bug in the Scythe's description. I looked out for this in the long_description.mes (I guessed that it was the correct place, if I'm wrong tell where to look and I'll take care of it), and this is what I've found out:

{4072}{A scythe is an agricultural hand tool for mowing and reaping grass or crops. It consists of a long wooden shaft called a snath with a perpendicular handle at one end and another roughly in the middle. A war scythe has had its blade transformed so that it extends upright from the staff, and is used much like a halberd. / To Hit Bonus: 0 / Damage: 1d10 / Damage Type: Piercing and Slashing / Critical Range: 20/x4 / Weapon Proficiency: Martial, Scythe}

If I'm not wrong, the red bit should say "2d4". If that's the case, then this should be the correct entry in 4072:

{4072}{A scythe is an agricultural hand tool for mowing and reaping grass or crops. It consists of a long wooden shaft called a snath with a perpendicular handle at one end and another roughly in the middle. A war scythe has had its blade transformed so that it extends upright from the staff, and is used much like a halberd. / To Hit Bonus: 0 / Damage: 2d4 / Damage Type: Piercing and Slashing / Critical Range: 20/x4 / Weapon Proficiency: Martial, Scythe}

I hope this is of any help. Well, let's stop feeling like a monkey who's randomless punching his keyboard :p... cheers!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. Gaear

Hey Fernando,

I've seen the Troika credits screen thing too. No idea why that's happening, but what's actually going on is the game is playing a movie. Those little screens (also the end slides - each one) are actually played like movies by the engine. Why the game wants to play a movie when you go to the world map in Hommlet I have no idea, but it doesn't actually seem to hurt anything if that's any consolation.

Regarding Black Jay, you shouldn't be getting that dialog in 5.7.2 at all because it was restored to vanilla. I haven't heard any other reports that BJ's dialog is goofy in 5.7.2, so your install may be bad. Did you let the module activate completely in TFE-X (front end)?

14. Fernando

Fernando Established Member

Hi, Gaear. Yes, I've waited the whole activation time, didn't alt-tab or anything. It's strange, sure; the rest of things are working fine, mostly (didn't notice something strange, in all I've checked), but I'll keep an eye for anything that I could help get fixed.

//Edit: Well, I think I've found the... strange... solution:

On /dlg folder, 00212burnebadger.dlg shows this:

Code:
    {130}{Yes sir? How can I help you?}{Yes ma'am? How can I help you?}{}{}{}{}
    {131}{Can I get some directions?}{}{8}{}{70}{}
    {132}{Me look for things.}{}{-7}{}{70}{}
    {133}{Have you seen any suspicious persons out and about during the overnight hours?}{}{1}{(game.quests[3].state == qs_mentioned or game.quests[3].state == qs_accepted)}{140}{}
    {134}{F:}{}{1}{}{0}{}

{200}{Sorry, sir, but this area is off limits at the moment. You need to leave immediately.}{Sorry, ma'am, but this area is off limits at the moment. You need to leave immediately.}{}{}{}{}
    {201}{Why? What's going on down here?}{}{8}{game.global_flags[842] == 1}{220}{}
    {202}{Huh? Sumthan go on?}{}{-7}{game.global_flags[842] == 1}{220}{}
    {203}{Why? What's going on down here?}{}{8}{game.global_flags[842] == 0}{240}{}
    {204}{Huh? Sumthan go on?}{}{-7}{game.global_flags[842] == 0}{240}{}
    {205}{Yes, of course. Burne asked me to interview the prisoner.}{}{8}{game.global_flags[842] == 1 and game.global_flags[837] == 0 and pc.skill_level_get(npc, skill_bluff) >= 8}{250}{}
    {206}{Burne want me talk bad man.}{}{-7}{game.global_flags[842] == 1 and game.global_flags[837] == 0 and pc.skill_level_get(npc, skill_bluff) >= 8}{250}{}

If I'm not on the wrong file, and I understood correctly, I don't have the 140 line, which should have been the one where the badgers gave you information about Corl (sp?). If you can, tell me if I'm onto something, and -obviously- if you have the... missing?... lines.

Now I'll just sit here wondering how could this happen. I don't know much about computers, to be honest, but a corrupted file missing just a few lines? Doesn't sound normal. Maybe when it was installed, it decompressed skipping this lines, but I'm not buying that either. Reciently yesterday (on this install) I've been checking some of the files on /dlg, partially because a little mod idea I've been hanging around with... so chances that I accidentaly erased this are really low, but still are more believable, I guess, that the other options that I've come out with...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  15. Gaear

Uh-oh, looks like I didn't take that line out in 130, sorry. That's why you get the blanks though - 140 doesn't (and shouldn't) exist. We'll have to fix that. Thanks.

Our Host!