Work/Job Thread ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Dec 30, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zephyr8965

Zephyr8965 Member

Re: Work/job thread....

You know, I actually enjoyed some of the time I was a debt collector. It was hilarious how easy it is for a debt collector to shock the person they're talking to by being nice.

Me: "Hi, I'm calling about your credit card debt."

Debtor: "That debt is 4 years old, I'm not paying it."

Me: "We really need to get this taken care of, ma'am. I'm sure you want this off your back."

Debtor: "I'm sorry, I can't help you."

Me: "I don't want you to help me, I want to help you." (I know it sounds corny, but it's true)

Debtor: "I- y- what?"

After that, I started talking to her about her options such as settling the debt out or making payment arrangements, or even a combination of the two.

Then there was another woman that I completely shocked because she had 4 credit card debts she wanted to pay $100 a month on, each. She had gone to a debt consolidator and she was going to pay them $400 a month, then they were going to take out their own little percentage and distribute the rest to the debts. After I told her I can easily put her on $100 a month on the debts, directly, she was shocked. Turns out the debt consolidation company wasn't such a good choice in that case. xD

I think she was more shocked by a debt collector helping her than the fact that she was better off without the consolidation company.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Our family was Lowland Scot, not Sicilian. And the GA has usually been on the other side of that fence. They repeatedly attacked Lisa and Curtis Sliwa. And later shot Curtis five times in 1992.

Debt collection agencies are usually more honest than Loan Settlement Assistance companies from what I've seen.

We will try to work with the guy, but he pays us 11% until he fully repays the debt.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Yep, remembered that part from posts past. But still....
    "If you need help, if there's no one left to turn to, and you can find them, you can call the M" Team!" :poke:

Usually?? Hmmm... smelling a loop hole there. ;)

4. GuardianAngel82

The GA Founder is half Polish - half Italian. The Angels started in a bad part of New York. So there are probably 'family' issues here and there. But the modern gangs are fairly honorless, and should be pushed out where possible.

My family is pretty old and usually does things in a fairly straight-forward fashion. On the other hand, we seem to have a lot of patience and stamina. So it would probably involve legal action, etc.

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Can the guardian angels kill a criminal accidently, when trying to restrain them so they don't hurt themselves or others, if there are enough witnesses that saw the criminal kill someone in cold blood? I mean if it just sort of happened unintentionally, because vigilantism is wrong and against the law. Cause that's what I would want to do.

Maybe have a Duluth, Minnesota chapter where we'd all have heavy denim jackets with the GA patch on the back and a bottom rocker that says "I don't call 911". What a sweet job that would be. Hell, I'd do it for free if I didn't need money to live and have a son I have to bring up myself, at least until the age of majority, which in my humble opinion, should be 25.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  6. GuardianAngel82

NO. We have never killed anyone in 30 years in all the chapters all over the world. There have been 8 Angels killed in the line of duty, though.

We don't call 911 unless it's more than we can handle, like a fire. By the time we call, the situation is usually under control and we call the non-emergency number, or, more likely, a local police officer's personal cell number.

Sometimes a violent criminal's only punishment ends up being held on the ground for a half hour until the police arrive. It IS kind of humiliating. ;)

The minimum age for joining the Guardian Angels is 16. They have to go through a training program that includes live patrolling. If a person can't control themselves, they cannot be a member.

Contact guardianangels.org if you want more information. I HIGHLY recommend it for young people, especially those are at risk. My son, an Eagle Scout, has been a member for 2 years.

7. Necroticpus

Here I am, at work again, at this lousy job in lousy corporate america. I really can't think of anything I hate more than corporate america, except maybe the direction our country/culture has taken since I was a kid.

Is this what it's come down to? Snuffling for truffles in corporate multi-floored buildings within a 7x7 foot cubicle, trying to step all over number two and make everyone else look bad in order to promote yourself?

And technology. This is the real culprit of our country's downfall. Blackberries, blueberries, stormberries, microwaves, !@#$%^& cell phones, blueteeth, brownteeth, mp3 players, personal computers, cuisinarts and all the other garbage to make life easier for people so they can spend more time eating total garbage food and doing nothing more strenuous except [snip] in front of a computer/game console, facebooking and twittering. It has turned people into complete [snip], especially the kids of today who are being brought up with this crapola from day 1.

But, I don't want to carp and criticize without offering a solution, which is this. Remove the power from the 3% of america's population, this being corporate CEOs, presidents and the rest of the government and anyone else who believes they should have authority over everybody else.

It's time to go back in time to a better place, like the west around the 1890's, where men made their way by the sweat of their neck and criminals were dealt with at the end of a rope. Where kids were as industrious as the rest of the family, scratching out a living from the land.

I realize saying all this makes me into a hypcrate, but why should I be any different than everyone else in america? We're all hypocrates to one degree or another. And it needs to stop, right now.

Failing that, Canada here I come.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  8. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

I'm developing those for living. :blush:

Had to say that I agree with your comment though. When I was a teenager and working in a factory doing maintenance job, shoveling coals and stuff, it was kind of a lot less stressful and more enjoyable work than I do now. I'm a bit worried, how my daughter and son are going to grow up in this world. I mean, nowdays every kid in elementary school use cell phones, facebook and Internet. When I was kid, the "only bad things" out there was movies and computers like C-64. :)

9. Necroticpus

I think my post was given a vasectomy.

10. yvangkwheng

yvangkwheng Member

well, im currently doing taking a job as an english teacher in china. modestly paid, i should say. just be here for travelling but accidentally recruited by a seemingly eminent university in chinal. lolz....

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A part of me agrees with all this. But another part of me remembers that every generation since Cain and Abel have said the same things.

12. Necroticpus

This is very true, but we people are still very young on this planet, still toddlers in the big picture. Has anything we've done made this world a better place to live? Sure, we got all these miracle cures for diseases and whatnot. We also got many serial killers running around. Crime is rampant, much like greed, sloth, gluttony, pride, lust and the other 2 things I cannot recall right now plus more than that.

Whole civilizations have come and gone. They are gone because of ignorance. The romans reached a level of decadence that wiped them out. The central american indians were wiped out by diseases that europe brought to them and so on.

People refuse to learn from history. We are doomed to repeat it. All of it. The world just keeps moving on, thinking that our insignificant actions are what is called progress but is actually the reverse. Kinda like congress.

*edit*
    By the way, this is me being positive and always keeping my sunny side up. I save my real ranting for the weekends during certain social situations. :lalala:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Just as long as you don't rant all over the songs I'm playing on the jukebox.

14. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Starting to get a bit off topic, but just want to put these lines from THE book.

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." 2 Timothy 3:1-7

Fits through out the history, but not so well as now. It's a interesting that 2000 years ago (in Rome) many things we're the same as now....

15. Necroticpus

Absolutely true. It really affects my day to day life on every level. I'm not even remotely spiritual and don't follow or practice any faith but it's quite easy to see how people as a whole are self destructing. I feel so violated and dirty going into to work everyday at UHC because it's nothing but corporate shilling and politics and it's messing with people's lives to a great degree, being a large health insurance "thing".

I should stand up and start shouting out loud and calling for change and waking people up. My problem is that I'm raising a kid by myself that is partially blind and there's things that need to be taken into consideration because of that. I need to provide for him and to my embarassment, I have chosen the way of jobs. People down through history have been taking care of their children without jobs, yet here I am, doing the very thing I hate the most. I want to do so much good but am burdened by the fact that no one wants these good things. Everyone wants to continue to root through life, being controlled by money. Bleh.

At this moment, I'm the exact same as everyone else that works a job for a living. Nothing more than a dirty, sloppy prostitute, selling myself for capitalist america. :thumbsdow

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
Our Host!