Experience Points Question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Nov 28, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    I have a question that hopefully someone can explain to me. I was getting ready to finish a runthrough (Co8 5.6) when I noticed something odd with the experience points my characters had. As most of you know, I make a point of wiping out Iuz whenever I can. I was looking through my logbook, and under "Most experience received in one Battle" was the fight I had with Iuz, with 225,274 Experience Points. I have two saves, one from before I went into the temple to fight Iuz, and one after I had killed Iuz, Hedrack and the various oozes, etc... beyond them. Here's the interesting thing: when I look at the experience points that my fighter has, he only received 6,069 Experience Points for the fight with Iuz and Hedrack and the fight with the Fungi beyond them. That means that (assuming that the Experience Points are divided evenly between all members of the party) the party only received 42,483 Total Experience Points for Killing Iuz, Hedrack, the Giants,Ettins, Bugbears, and Fungi, not the 225,274 that the Logbook shows. Can anyone explain why this is ? I know someone is going to ask: so let me state that going into the fight, the Fighter was 11th Level with 60,210 Experience Points. After returning to Nulb after the fight, the Fighter has 66,279 Experience Points, and is ready to go up to 12th Level.
    The Royal Canadian

2. cremo

cremo Member

Maybe the initial count was done without comparing the standard xp of the monster against your whole party rating? only thing that comes to mind.. yet seems strange.

3. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

You might have gotten enough XP to go up two levels, but ToEE will only award enough XP to go up one level at a time. (It will cut you off at 1 XP below what's needed for the 2nd level.) I also don't know if the log book shows actual awards (including the reduced percentage Troika built into the game) or what you should have earned based on the rules.

4. The Royal Canadian

Hi Kalshane
    I know about the "one level at a time rule", but the experience points in this case don't point in that direction. Like I said, my fighter (who was really the only person who fought Iuz) started the fight at 11th Level with 60K experience points. After the fight he had 66K Experience Points. If the "one level at a time" rule had kicked in, his experience points should have been 77,999 (which if the party had received 225K experience points is where I would have expected everyone's experience points to be).
    The Royal Canadian

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Ah. Sorry, RC. I was kind of doing a drive-by and didn't have time to check the XP tables. No clue what happened there. Could be some wierd bug when ToEE tries to calculate and apply that much XP at once.

6. The Royal Canadian

Hi Kalshane
    Not a problem. I'm beginning to think I either have a bad install or a corrupted save. I have noticed a few other "glitches", like being unable to ask Burne how his research on the skull is going, it works fine with Vanilla activated: I just checked, but when I talk to him in Co8 5.6 after I have shown him the skull, the only Dailogue options I am given are to ask him if he wants to join me when I go to the temple or to tell him I am leaving. By the way, I did notice something else. When I rescued Morgan from the cell on the first level he had 6 other people with him. Three were merchants who expressed gratitude in being saved, the other three were Ed, Ted, and whoever. At any rate, I asked Morgan to join my party, and because it was late in the day (game time) I returned to Nulb to rest up. Morgan immediately ran off, but did NOT return to the Temple the way he does if you go to Hommlet and ask him to leave the party.
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!