surprise round, bugged?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by cremo, Nov 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. cremo

cremo Member

Am i the only one not able to get "surprise rounds" work correctly in ToEE?

I am using Co8 5.5, and what happens is that if I stealth all my party on my opponents and attack with one of my char, the other guys in my party have to take initiative checks against monster.. meaning they could get flatfooted even if they were sneaking up on them!

Am I doing something wrong or it's a toee bug?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

When you attack, it rolls for initiative, yah. Annoying. You can get sorta a surprise round though - you may notice some monsters join the initiative round late and don't get a first go.

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

This reminds me of something cool I saw once. Normally when the assassin comes after my group he jumps out of a swamp next to my mage and proceeds to distribute death. One time I had a random nighttime encounter on the road and the assassin was standing off to the side of the road next to a campfire with his back to me. I was actually able to get the jump on him, it was amazing!

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it happen at random or is it a survival skill type thing?

4. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

hmm.. did he spill his guts about why he was hired before you uuh spilled his guts?

5. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

I've never seen it happen with the assassin, but Co8 did (I think in 5.0) add the possbility of night time random encounters allowing you to catch the baddies by suprise in camp if your Survival was high enough.

Our Host!