Should I buy ToEE?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by soulbutter4394, Nov 16, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. soulbutter4394

soulbutter4394 Member

Hey all,

I played BG II way back in the day. Since, I haven't played a game that came close to being as good. I just bought the new Dragon Age: origins game, and it sucks. Would ToEE be worth getting? Is it comparable to BG II? Are there as many sidequests and such?

Also, where could I buy ToEE, is it available for download?

Thanks
    Soulbutter4138 is online now Add to Soulbutter4138's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Nooooooooo!!! It will destroy your life! Run, run while you still can!!!

3. VentilatorOfDoom

VentilatorOfDoom Member

I started playing Dragon Age yesterday and I have to say I'm impressed so far. Although I spotted some things already that I don't like it seems to be an exceptionally well crafted game. Very nice.

to OP: ToEE is not like BG2, but you should try it though

4. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I think you can get TOEE off Amazon, but not sure.
    If you get TOEE, come and get our mods here because the original game is very buggy and almost unplayable.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Corrected ;)

Considering it uses a different ruleset version, it may be a pain to get used to, though. The game focuses mostly on dungeon exploration and tactical turn-based combat, and less on story or party interaction. You may love it or hate it depending on where your priorities lie; for me it is still the best RPG I have played thus far (and what would you expect from someone on this site? :yes:)

Hey, I actually beat it twice :evilgrin:

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

ToEE is a very different game from BG and BGII. Different rule set, turn-based instead of real time, etc.

As others have mentioned, ToEE is a better tactical D&D game than a true RPG. While there are story elements (and Co8 is working all the time to add more story elements) they are nowhere near as complex or involved as the BG story arcs. Side quests are almost all of the "Go here, kill monsters, bring back stuff" variety.

That said, I love ToEE because it's the truest to the D&D rules as-written as any game since the old SSI gold box series. And it's a lot of fun.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I think there's a demo available, with the entire Moathouse campaign. Try it. If you like it, you'll mostly like the game, else, you won't.

Alternately try Knights of the Chalice, and likewise.

8. Zanderat

Zanderat Cosmic Lord

OT: How is DA? I have been on the fence. The console elements are a big turn off.......

9. argikt

argikt Member

ToEE is similar to BG in some aspects, isometric perspective, D&D rules based, (BG is based in second edition and ToEE in 3.5)

I s the best game that looks like BG that you can find, (I suppose un had played icewind dale)

The only thing I dont like in ToEE is that is short (in comparation of BG2) and without mods your level cap is 10.

If you had played BG2 and throne of bhaal in epic level you can find it boring.

I hope we have the circle of eight 6.0 soon, with a complete campaing with lvl20 chars:dribble:

10. VentilatorOfDoom

VentilatorOfDoom Member

I'm hooked, really hooked. But I'm not too far into the game yet. It can be quite difficult at times (playing on hard) and I suffer from a sever lack of money, injury kits, potions. The fights against some powerful undead (revenants) are very difficult, I beat one but the fight lasted like forever, and I exhausted most of my resources..., then I met an Arcane Horror (also undead) of seemingly similar strength, and I resorted to cheese because I hardly had any healing potions left, let alone mana potions.
    Anyway, so far the game makes a very good impression.

What console elements? (don't have a console, so I don't know what you're refering to)

11. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ It's a bad idea to try take on all the enemies as they come. Revenants, Fade Beast and Gaxkang are special bosses, and probably way too hard if you try to beat them before your party is at least level 10 (kind of like the Dragons and Kangaxx in BG2). The Black Vials are doable (although ultimately useless - little XP, no good loot, no quest to go with them - I say don't bother). The tombstone ones are too hard until endgame. The best strategy is eliminate all the critters if there are any, then tank the Rev with a single meatshield while healing it with a healer-mage (Wynne or otherwise), and the other two using projectiles. That way you save lots of potions, and don't let the Rev use the devastating area attacks. This strategy works well for pretty much any boss, although it's pretty slow.

The game has a ton of problems, but overall is enjoyable. I found that it's completely unable to keep my attention for very long, though. :thumbsdow

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  12. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Gaxkang? Self-referential or what?

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ He tries to be. Sadly, he's pretty weak, and goes down with too little effort compared to Kangaxx (well, like most of the "bosses" in DA anyway).

14. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Shame. Kangaxx is legendary.

15. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Yeah, Kangaxx was evil. I never managed to beat him - I gave up at the point where he turns into a demilich, restoring all HP, and proceeds to obliterate the party that's already out of its strongest resources from the preceding battle.

Our Host!